Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Struggling to get into IUOE Locals

sje ยท 2015-06-13 16:46

For the past two years I've been trying to become a union heavy equipment operator in NY. I applied for both apprenticeships at nearby locals this past year and didn't get selected for either one (IUOE Locals 138 and 15). I have been working non-union getting many different kinds of experience, and can confidently run skid steers and payloaders. I'm working on getting practiced on an excavator and backhoe right now, but have only managed to get a couple hours of seat time on each so far. I am also a certified welder, licensed by the NYC Department of Buildings to weld in NYC. The problem I'm having is getting into the unions. Everything around here is union work and none of the unions seem at all open to letting new members in. I just don't know what else to do... I want to be an operator, I'm willing to do ANYTHING I have to in order to get there, but to get on a decent job as an operator around here you need to be union, and on the flip side, the only way to get in the union you need to have a contractor sponsor you. So how do you make it happen? No contractor will talk to me because I don't have a book. I am not going to give up on this, but it just seems completely impossible. I guess there is just so much nepotism that it makes it impossible for non-connected people to get in... Does anyone have ANY advice at all about how I can go about trying to get in? Can I just call up one of the Locals and ask for a test? I've called Locals 138, 14 and 15 and they all told me the only way to get membership is through an apprenticeship or sponsorship by an affiliated contractor, but at the same time, I've heard rumors that you can ask to be tested. Anyone from NY willing to tell me how you got in?

Replies5
  1. #1CascadeScaper2015-06-14 09:03

    Join the apprenticeship, simple as that. If you're trying to join as a journeyman and don't have a bunch of experience, they are much less likely to let you in. The Locals have to uphold a high standard of skill within its membership; members make top dollar for their skills and if you don't have the skills they deem necessary, they aren't going to let you in. The apprenticeship is the ticket to learning the trade.

  2. #2old-iron-habit2015-06-14 09:58

    Not trying to sound negative but will never get anyplace if your effort is limited to phone calls. Make a habit of stopping by the hall occasionally and talk to the BA's so they get to know you and know you are serious. Ask them also which contractors have a lot of new work. They will often have a contractor list to share if you ask for it. Contractors sponsor apprentices all the time. Its cheap labor for them while the guys learn their system of operation. If you get face to face with enough of them and you will get a sponsor eventually. Write a professional, honest, and factual resume to leave with them. Often down the road they need someone with your talents and they don't have anything to remember you by. Last apprentice operator we sponsered before I retired had a resume with a section with pictures showing him operating a skid steer in a building leveling for slab on grade. The last picture showed him greasing the skid steer. I think thats the one that got him hired a month after he dropped his resume off at the office. I think its always better to go to a corporations office than talk to someone in the field. When you go be polite, dress decent, ask if there is a personel director, if this is a bad time, when is a good time to come back, and then ask to leave a resume. Good luck. Of course the work lined up by any company dictates hiring. Depressed areas are tough to get in, other areas are crying for help. Good Luck.

  3. #3Buckethead2015-06-14 12:03

    You are getting experience, so continue working and getting experience so you will be ready if/when the opportunity comes up.

  4. #4mowingman2015-06-14 13:05

    How about relocating to a "Right to Work" state. Bypass the unions all together. I am not against unions at all, but as you have found out, it can be very hard to get in. Once in, it may be years before you can get steady, year round work. At least you are getting some limited experience. Continue with the non union work as you can get it. Do not be picky, take most any operator job you can handle. The experience you gain will be well worth it. Then, think about where you want to live and work in the future. Construction is booming all across the country. It might be time to move to where the work is, union or non union.

  5. #5joispoi2015-06-14 14:43

    How far are you from CT? A lot of NYC iron work is getting subbed out to non-union shops in CT. If you're willing to commute and you can fabricate from a set of shop drawings, they'll be happy to have you. If you're a good welder, you'll make better money doing that than operating and you won't have to worry about getting laid off in the winter.