Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stubby drill bits?

RobVG ยท 2015-04-03 20:33

Anyone know of a source for "stubby" or short shank drill bits? I need to find some locally or I'm pretty much effed. I called Greenshields, Grainger, Fastenal, Tacoma Screw, Champion Bolt and the Hardware stores. Somebody has to have them somewhere???? 7/16ths

Replies22
  1. #1wastednights2015-04-03 21:15

    Try Snap On Tools?

  2. #2willie592015-04-03 21:17

    They're called screw machine length drill bits Rob, that's the shortest length to diameter drill bit. http://www.grainger.com/product/CHICAGO-LATROBE-Screw-Machine-Drill-Bit-1M073?functionCode=P2IDP2PCP

  3. #3Metalman 552015-04-03 21:17

    I believe you are looking for a "Jobber Drill" in lieu of the standard twist drill, with the Jobber having a somewhat shorter shank. If you search that name, you can come up with something locally likely. You could try McMaster-Carr, they have an online catalogue.

  4. #4525isx2015-04-03 21:18

    screw machine drill bits are what they're called. I don't know anywhere local, other than where you have tried. I order from mcmaster-carr or enco/msc. 525 in enumscratch

  5. #5ANDREW C2015-04-03 22:01

    I bought a full set to 1/2" from walter. They are about three inches long and really cut well. They call them stub length and I use them on my mag drill when working in tight spots. Stick them deep into the chuck and they are short. I got them from quest supplies up here in Canada. Cost was about $225

  6. #6John C.2015-04-03 22:02

    Give High Strength Bolt down in Kent a call. They have some odd ball stuff that not many people carry.

  7. #7RobVG2015-04-03 22:10

    That's what I need Willie. Unfortunately Grainger is closed tomorrow. Thanks guys

  8. #8willie592015-04-03 22:26

    Well, yeah, a screw machine length bit is typically more of an industrial supplier item, you'd be lucky if you found one anywhere on the weekend. Sorry about that.

  9. #9Cmark2015-04-04 00:04

    If you're really stuck, just break off a standard drill bit and resharpen the end.

  10. #10kshansen2015-04-04 07:22

    Cmark, Been there Done That! Have had times when I needed to install a thread insert in a tight place and that was the only option other than a major amount of disassembly .

  11. #11brianbulldozer2015-04-04 08:58

    Try Swift Tool in Seattle or Kent for instant gratification. Try Enco (use-enco.com) for cheaper prices, usually stocked in Nevada and a couple days away by UPS ground.

  12. #12lantraxco2015-04-04 13:02

    Online I use MSC a lot.

  13. #13RobVG2015-04-04 13:47

    Well that didn't work...

  14. #14RobVG2015-04-04 13:54
  15. #15kshansen2015-04-04 14:23

    Just need to push a little harder and hook up you cordless drill to the crank handle!

  16. #16nowing752015-04-04 19:11

    Rob if you have friends at boeing I bet they have them

  17. #17Andrew_D2015-04-04 19:39

    Keep in mind that if you cut a drill bit off short and resharpen it, the web gets thicker the shorter you go. That's not to say that I haven't done it. Especially in situations where I didn't necessarily need a long drill bit but I needed a rigid one. Hard to make a 3/16"ish drill bit rigid without shortening it! Just make sure that as part of the sharpening process, that you thin that web down a bit or it will cut pretty hard. Andrew

  18. #18RobVG2015-04-09 12:30

    Well, a screw machine length bit still won't do it with a right angle drill. It looks like I'm going to have to cut the mount off. Any other ideas before I start this afternoon? Thought of welding studs in but there wouldn't be enough clearance for the motor.

  19. #19willie592015-04-09 23:12

    Rob, what kind of gap are you working in, an inch and a half? What the heck are we working on here? Other ideas? cut the drill bit shank down to a minimum, actually all the way into the flutes of the drill, wrap the flutes with aluminum foil, stick it in the chuck and tighten it up so you only have a nub of drill tip sticking out. What the heck are you working on that you need such tight clearance?

  20. #20RobVG2015-04-09 23:35

    Hi Willie, it's a mount for the hydraulic motor/gear that drives the rotate on one of our grapples. Bolt holes are shot. There's structure above it that prevents me from drilling straight on. I spent the afternoon with an air arc and prised the little bastage out of there. It's currently on the drill press. All downhill from here....

  21. #21Dualie2015-04-10 00:12

    TRY KBC TOOLS. http://www.kbctools.com/ also a great source for broaches or annular cutters.

  22. #22pigpen602015-04-17 16:54

    try travers or enco.