Hello wise and all knowing heavy equipment people. I'm stuck between which model of machine to get. Application: Digging my own pond, but would like the option to clean out/dig local ponds in my area or whatever other excavation work prevails. I have a skid steer, Heavy trucks for transport ability, and access to a dozer. So far the the options in my area asking price. They're all allegedly in good condition but I'll have inspect myself. The reason I have price is if you've had experience with a few of these then you may be able to justify one over the other (Bang per buck) $34,900 (year Unknown) PC200LC-7 w/ the 5.9L (143hp net) pre emissions. Everything functions as shoud, sheet metal good condition. U/C says good for the age. AC blows cool, not cold. Mechanical thumb $46,000 2012 PC200LC-8 w/ 6.7L (158hp net) 9000hrs. No blow by, leaks. U/C very good, AC/Heat Work great. Looks original paint and looks god. No Aux plumbing on stick. Said he'll take $40,000 cash $50000 2016 PC210LC-10 w/ 6.7L (158hp net) 7900 hours. Runs strong, Everything works as should. Good U/C , cold air sheet metal looks nice (Maybe repainted, definitlly touched up). No Aux plumbing on stick. $67,500 2018 PC210LC-11 w/ 6.7L (165hp net) DELETED and 4900 hours. Unit looks almost brand new and representative says not repainted. Claims U/C is 80% and the machine is tight. Aux Plumbing, Yes. These are all within 2-3 hrs of me. Unfortunately in all different directions.
-10 Pictures
-11 Pictures
-7 Pictures
-8 Pictures. No cab pic available. Says tear in the seat, which seems common on all these
I'm for renting what you need per job. No investment.....no maintenance....no repair costs....no hassles.
I wanted to spend some money, I need write offs. I know renting is more economical, but It's nice to always have a machine on hand.
A good friend of mine digs/cleans ponds on regular basis. He said if he could get a simple reliable "90's style" excavator, new or low houred, he might own one again. But as those machines are not available, and what is available is complex and worrysome to own outside of warranty... He rents a machine for each job. Some jobs back to back he uses same machine, but the pro's of renting is he can get the machine most suitable to the job. (14 tonne, 20 tonne, long reach, etc) He's got an account with a decent company and good history with them, seems to work out stress free.
John thats actually smart. I'm really looking to buy because I want one. I'm settled on 200 class as we can move it around and it's not tiny either.
The -11 : super shiny but deleted - will your dealer touch it if deleted? The tracks look super tight. -10: tracks have seized links. Looks tidy otherwise. -7 & 8 bit tatty, do you need aux plumbing or thumb? The proof is in the running of them, can't tell much from the pics. I've got to the stage where I can tell if I like a machine when I see it & run it. Just got to put in the miles, driving from machine to machine til you find the one for you.
On the 11, Im not using a dealer for maintenance or repairs so this wont matter. I actually prefer deleted. For 7 & 8. I can always go with a mechanical, but people say once you go hydrualic you never knew what youre missing out on. Anyone know if these machines are all pretty close in power and abilities? Theres about 20hp difference amongst them and some have AUX plumbing. What does that cost to add-on?
I'm running a 98 John Deere 120 with no emissions. That's the operation we're doing. Just keeping it going because it has no emissions and no worries. I would opt for the older machine.
Okay let's back up then. Buy it the way you want it. Do not plan on adding anything and just keep looking till you find what you want. I want a progressive thumb. You may have different desires but don't buy a machine and then throw money at it. Trying to make it be what it isn't. Your budget will go all to heck and you'll be surprised at what that stuff costs to add on.
My suggestion would be to go and run every one of them. Get them hot, put them through the paces and see how they run. Then take oil samples and have them analyzed. 10-15 year old used iron scares the hell out of me as a business man buying one then trying to make a living with it. I've had a first row seat over the last 30 years to see how equipment is used and abused.
Our 210 (2004 Hyundai) has a Cummins 5.9 (tier2). Have owned for 8 years and it has been a super reliable/basic machine. It was a city of Kamloops machine and had an easy life; it came to us with a full new undercarriage…at 8900 hours currently. Really need to inspect/operate each candidate very carefully….pretty easy to check pins/bushings. Typically the most wear is at the bucket end. Take a very close look at the Rotec bearing. Personally I like to see a clean interior and straight tinwork. A bashed up counterweight isn’t a good sign as well. Assess undercarriage carefully… We have had very good luck with several Hitachi/John Deere machines. My favourite was a Isuzu powered Zx120. Fuel economy was outstanding (as a bonus). Basically the same machine as a John Deere 120…with Deere 4045 engine (also excellent power plant) We work in remote bush locations (tough to get a pickup in) service truck impossible…so all our machinery is older (but well looked after) pre-emissions. It may (probably…) will take a lot of looking to come up with a Solid unit Up here Komatsu parts are very pricey… Good luck.
Saw a local contractor here (with near new equipment) putting in new services on a small side street… One of his ‘operators’ was using the tip/teeth of the bucket to try and bust up asphalt (by slamming it forcefully onto the surface), could also see him attempting to ‘side sweep’ large piles of this material! Obviously he wasn’t the guy buying or maintaining this machine!
In my experience hp ratings are pretty unimportant in an excavator…more about the entire power/hydraulic package…personally would be the least of my concerns. Our 210 shows Cummins 5.9 At 150hp. We had a Hitachi Ex 270 roadbuilder (significantly larger/heavier unit) with a Hino at just 168hp….it had plenty of power…
-11 for sure if it checks out after running.
Two relatively obvious comparisons: Performance Comparison: The PC210 boasts approximately 20 kW more power than the PC200, and boasts an 8% improvement in fuel economy. Design and Features: The PC210 has an added anti-collision beam for enhanced safety, while the PC200 lacks it. Based on your standards, the PC200-8 sells for approximately $21,408 to $24,647 on the gray market in China. Based on the shipping cost of a 20-ton excavator to the US, which is between $14,084 and $16,901, I'll compare the price. You can also negotiate with your local dealer.
I want a couple of playboy bunnies to give me a daily massage, but I'm not buying them.
If you could afford it you would!!!!
Those cost more than all the equipment, combined!!
Probably even more of a case here for being better off not taking on all the maintenance costs of ownership...