Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stuck clutch

Old Growth · 2024-01-06 02:34

I have a 78 Kenworth with a CAT and a 13 speed. I parked it for about 4 months. I fire up every month or so. Ive left it sit for long periods before with no problems, but not this time. The clutch disc is frozen and it wont go into gear. I cant easily start it in gear since its parked in a tight spot. Probably have to pull it out with the hoe and then try it in gear. Any pointers or advice? Thanks!

Replies15
  1. #1Shimmy12024-01-06 02:44

    Air brakes, right? Shouldn't move very easily. Hold the clutch in, put in high gear, bump the starter a few times. A bit more aggressive move would be to try and slip it into gear while cranking with the clutch pushed in. Probably not the best for the trans, but surely better than pulling a transmission. Are you certain the clutch is being released with the pedal?

  2. #2chestypuller2024-01-06 02:47

    i had that happen on my 75 f250, had to get a screw driver up in there tru the inspection plate and free up the disc from pressure plate and flywheel

  3. #31693TA2024-01-06 03:05

    That has happed several time to me on my antique junk that sets. I get the truck into the open, start it in low gear so it moves and slowly and steadily power off, and on with the accelerator pedal with the clutch pedal depressed. I have enough property I don't go onto the street but speed is not needed, just load and unload the driveline while the clutch pedal is pushed down. They usually release with a bang but doesn't hurt anything.

  4. #4Old Doug2024-01-06 09:59

    We have a tractor that we have owned over 30 years and at the time a pickup that had been around several year. One spring i think it had been very wet the clutch on both of them stuck. They had never stuck before or since. The tractor was even inside a building both had been used less than 30 days ago. I think i started them in gear and applied the brakes while pressing the clutch.

  5. #5Delmer2024-01-06 10:30

    Sometimes just letting them idle and warm up, then cool down overnight, start up again and warm up the next day does it. After warming up, prop the clutch peddle down for a couple minutes while at it's roughest idle.

  6. #6Truck Shop2024-01-06 16:14

    14" pot type or 15"?

  7. #7cfherrman2024-01-06 19:21

    Air hammer on the clutch to vibrate it free

  8. #8Truck Shop2024-01-06 19:30

    Good on you--if it's 14" pot type thump it on the flywheel edge 15" on the flat of flywheel between bolts while someone holds the pedal down.

  9. #9Old Growth2024-01-06 20:40

    Im a good mechanic, but Im not familiar with big rig clutches yet as I have never had to pull one yet. Im not sure how to tel the difference, but I have a feeling Im going to learn here soon, Lol!

  10. #10Truck Shop2024-01-06 21:21

    Clutch in first photo is a 14" Lipe/Spicer cast cover pot flywheel type clutch. Clutch in second photo is a 15" Eaton cast cover flat flywheel type clutch. *

  11. #11funwithfuel2024-01-06 22:06

    I would verify that the linkage is still in tact. I would prop the pedal down with my longest prybar, rattle the cover with an air hammer and hose the inside with brake cleaner. Rotate and repeat. The other thing, make sure the tits aren't torn off the clutch brake. While you're in there, check clutch adjustment. Pedal up, clearance between brake and bearing should be ½ to 9/16" . Good luck

  12. #12cfherrman2024-01-06 23:27

    Seen it in a you tube video

  13. #13Old Growth2024-01-07 15:22

    Woo-hoo! I got lucky, I just stuffed into low and pretended I couldn’t hear anything and it popped loose! I really did not want to learn about removing clutches and trans in this Ol girl! Thanks for all the info and possible ideas if things were worse. I appreciate it.

  14. #14cfherrman2024-01-07 15:25

    Having that attitude when you drive a two stroke is helpful too

  15. #15Shimmy12024-01-07 15:35

    I would not be starting it every month unless I'm going to drive it for a couple hours to dry everything out. If you don't need it, I'd pull the battery cables and let her sleep until spring.