Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stuck in float “position” on John Deere 710D

CoOlSlY · 2021-05-07 14:29

After replacing the swing cylinder seals, after replacing the extended dipper piston seal, now another thing... We have used the float position for the bucket this morning but when we removed it, the front wheels seems so light that we can't turn! When we lift the front we can have the front end up and down like if it was free and when down it seems like there's no weight on the front wheels, any clue if there's a way to force it back to normal? The bucket goes up/down no problem.

Replies14
  1. #1CoOlSlY2021-05-07 21:37

    It looks like the front diff is always locked and also the rear diff seems locked. Bizarre, i'm trying to figure out where to start and don't really know where the diff lock valve is located

  2. #2Delmer2021-05-08 00:09

    So this has nothing to do with the float position on the valve? it's all in the diff lock? I can't say on the front axle, but the rear axle diff lock valve is a small foot pedal under your right knee, my guess based on other deeres. Get it freed up externally, and if it still doesn't operate, take it apart, it's fairly simple, a spring and a ball.

  3. #3mg23612021-05-08 05:15

    Serial number? Really could use a better description of your issue/issues. When you power down the front wheels off the ground? When you let go of the lever do the wheels come back down. No diff lock on the front. If you have your loader in the air and try to turn the machine does it want to go straight?

  4. #4CoOlSlY2021-05-10 07:57

    I was at the land this week-end without internet and you are absolutely right in my issue description, really sorry about that. I was out of track :| When I put the backhoe in float, the wheels go off the ground then go back on the ground *but*, the REAR diff is locked. I can see it when trying to turn with a full bucket, I see the rear wheels are scraping. In the manual, I see there's two things, the solenoid and the valve. I will try to check if it's the solenoid. I'm trying to see if I can swap for example the MFWD and the REAR DIFF solenoid. Serial by heart start with 72xxx, 1993 JD710D

  5. #5Delmer2021-05-10 13:32

    C'mon MG, you're supposed to catch when I say stupid stuff that doesn't relate to the machine in question Sorry about the wrong dif lock valve description.

  6. #6CoOlSlY2021-05-10 20:44

    Tomorrow I will try to disassemble the solenoid and swap it with the parking brake one. I will also disassemble the foot pedal. Hopefully it's something basic that I won't have to call JD mechanic$

  7. #7mg23612021-05-11 05:04

    And what, miss out on the entertainment.....where's the popcorn The serial number insures I can look up accurate information and what you posted is incomplete. Last 6 digits are all I need. Based on this statement do you have the ZF transmission with the solenoids on the top left of the transmission? That would narrow down which serial number machine you have. Before going through the work of swapping you could just check to see if you have voltage to the solenoid or not. If you have voltage then the floor switch may be stuck in the on position. If no voltage present then swap the solenoid valve assemblies to eliminate a stuck valve.

  8. #8CoOlSlY2021-05-12 09:14

    It's 72xxxx. Prior to where the manual states <82xxxx I don't have the registration in hand *but*, yesterday I've done the tests you asked. Two problems appeared at the same time in my opinion so here it is: - I raised the whole loader with bucket and backhoe and the front wheels are turning even if mfwd is off (the switch now has no action) - both rear wheels turn The pedal that is supposed to be on the left of the brakes is in the back, right of the extended dipper pedal! The solenoids are easily accessible I will try to test the mfwd switch but as said the rear diff seems locked and the mfwd is always on too and it was not like that before on both thing.

  9. #9CoOlSlY2021-05-12 09:18

    792766 is the serial! Got a scan copied

  10. #10mg23612021-05-12 12:06

    OK. Disregard my last statement in my last post. You need voltage to the MFWD solenoid to turn off the MFWD. If there is no voltage to the MFWD solenoid then the MFWD is engaged. Fuse F1 good?

  11. #11CoOlSlY2021-05-12 16:36

    Fuse F1 is good. The rear diff is 3 pins the parking brake seems to be 2 pins. Possible? So we can't really test by swapping them.

  12. #12mg23612021-05-13 04:56

    Nope. The only checks that can be performed at this point are voltage checks and pressure checks to confirm operation.

  13. #13Delmer2021-05-13 09:25

    If you have voltage, then you could check the solenoids for continuity or ohms, IF you can find the wiring diagram on the three pin one.

  14. #14CoOlSlY2021-05-15 15:28

    We had John Deere come and fix the problem. They disconnected a wire in the foot pedal. The bizarre thing, the switch in the foot pedal was ok, I tested the switch. I don't know what else could be wrong but it's been fixed by disconnecting a wire in the foot pedal :| I just don't understand what it does exactly though disconnecting this wire other than solving the problem :|