Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stuck in mud best ways to get out

jimmynoshow · 2023-11-25 01:14

what would be the best way to get this out of mud? I’m not a very experienced operator and I got it stuck everything an experienced operator would take two minutes to move. The machine over took me 20 minutes so after four hours of messing around, I walked away and drove home another 4 1/2 hours. nothing done, and here I remain stuck. I was trying to lift up the machine and I cut with a chainsaw a tree trying to make some sort of a bridge, but my friend slipped in the mud and just wanted to go home.

Replies92
  1. #1skyking12023-11-25 02:43

    Jimmy that is the hard school you are in. A 2wd backhoe often needs to help itself out with the back bucket and it takes experience to do this. Did you try to use the back bucket?

  2. #2jimmynoshow2023-11-25 03:51

    Yes , dug a few holes too kept getting stuck , gonna have to try again might have to get some help im not experienced on it

  3. #3Vetech632023-11-25 08:01

    You should be able to boom down and lift the rear of the machine. The use your swing to manipulate your position. I have had those stuck before when trying to repair them. You only need to get the rear wheels out of the hole they are in.

  4. #4MG842023-11-25 08:04

    You need to first make the machine have as little ground pressure as possible so you stop sinking it into the mud. Set the front bucket so it’s level to the ground and push down a little with that. Then use both the hoe and the outriggers to push down a little. Now using just the hoe lift the back of the machine just a little and try to swing it to the side, towards whatever is driest ground. The front bucket and front tires should remain on the ground and hopefully pivot without sinking too much. If that works you can keep doing it unti the machine is out of the existing ruts, even as far as 90* from where it sits now. Next reach out with the hoe, plant it firmly, raise the outriggers, and try to pull the tractor backwards. Depending on how soft it is you may have to leave the front bucket down al least a little to keep the front tires from sinking. You may also try helping a little by putting it in the lowest reverse gear, just above idle and let the rear wheels pull, but try to not let them spin. This is much easier if you have a torque converter drive. If that works, pull yourself back as far as you can, stop, put in neutral, outriggers back down, and reach out again for another bite. Then do it all over again. About 80% of the time that method will get you out, if not post back and we’ll go over the ‘advanced’ techniques.

  5. #5Delmer2023-11-25 08:47

    If you had a JD you could set the outriggers down so they're taking equal pressure as the tires, roll the front bucket forward and lift the front tires off the ground, then reach out a little past vertical with the stick and lift the rear just clearing the ground, then pull in with the stick while rolling the front bucket back and you can back out of nearly anything. I don't know if a Case can do those movements with any control at the same time, and even if it can, it won't be as easy. Really, that is not stuck hardly at all, you're on the right track with trees, but what I've found is simply collecting dry dead brush/branches, and putting in the tracks is more than enough to get you out most of the time. I've done this many times farming with 2wd tractors and get too close to a wet spot and don't want to ditch the equipment that's hooked up. You have it so much easier, because you're in the woods so the material is closer, and you can lift all the tires so the brush can go right under the tires. Brush is traction, the slick mud is tire slipping lubricant. Since it's 2wd, brush under the rear tires, and if that's not enough, fill under the front with rocks or logs so they're not in a rut and can roll out more easily. If that's not enough, extend the backhoe further back for more weight on the rear, less on the front.

  6. #6NH575E2023-11-25 10:25

    I have only stuck mine once but it was about that bad. I got it out in about 45 minutes of trial and error. To get maximum lift on the front you have to turn the cutting edge straight down. I would raise the loader bucket and turn it down then put some wood under it running lengthwise and try to lift the front tires out. Then put some wood under the tires. After that you can raise the front bucket and try raising the rear and push the hoe forward. If the rear is too deep you can raise it with the hoe and move it sideways to get on better footing.

  7. #7skyking12023-11-25 10:40

    Thanks all for fleshing in my brief explanation as I go to bed. @Delmer is on what I would try to explain. When you reach out and get a grab with the back bucket, think very carefully about what is holding you back. Try lifting the front tires just a bit with a flat front bucket and pull gently. Get the outriggers down close to the ground. Don't lift the back tires all the way off the ground. Each thing takes some of the weight. If you lift it all the way up off the ground, now that bucket grab in the mud is doing all the work and it will sink in and fail. The front bucket vertical stab-and-roll is very effective. If you need it you can coordinate that and do it at the same time as dragging with the rear. From @Delmer "If you had a JD you could set the outriggers down so they're taking equal pressure as the tires, roll the front bucket forward and lift the front tires off the ground, then reach out a little past vertical with the stick and lift the rear just clearing the ground, then pull in with the stick while rolling the front bucket back and you can back out of nearly anything. I don't know if a Case can do those movements with any control at the same time, and even if it can, it won't be as easy." Yes you can do that. But the trick is to take your time and make small increments of front bucket roll and then pull some. I don't know if it was made clear but you are going to go out backwards, every time. Pushing just does not work. So you are not pointed in the right direction? lift the front bucket just clear of the ground. Set the outriggers flush with the tires they share the weight. reach off center in the direction you want the back end to move sideways, about 5' off center at most. Put the bucket down with the stick about vertical. lift and drag yourself over in that direction. Repeat. You can do this and move backward a bit each set if possible. Get it pointed at the place you want to back out of the goo.

  8. #8MG842023-11-25 11:01

    Edit: why is this glitching like this? Made what I typed a quote by him and would let me change it, IDK?

  9. #9jimmynoshow2023-11-25 12:17

    Thank you so much for the confidence, i may head up there this week and try again, so to get it where i want it where its dryer , using you gentlmens meathods backwards is best , i have to lift up fill holes in front spin it around brush under rears then lil by lil pull myself backwards till dryer ! Did I mention that obviously, I park the machine in the worst possible spot on the property. I didn’t know that yet I recently purchased this property in richland new york in Pulaski , too bad somebody experienced wasn’t right there. They could probably get that out in a half hour. I was thinking about at one point I might put a rope to my pick up truck and have him pull once I get a run for it.

  10. #10skyking12023-11-25 12:19

    the key thinking is *Pull* yourself backwards with the digging bucket, and assist with the front if needed.

  11. #11jimmynoshow2023-11-25 12:24

    The dummy I bought it off sawed the teeth off the bucket, so that doesn’t help either

  12. #12Delmer2023-11-25 12:35

    That happens to me when I put the cursor inside the quote and can't get out. You shouldn't need to use all the techniques at the same time. And only use the ones that work together. The front bucket is critical to that, put the bucket down flat to take weight off the tires and slide backwards or pivot to the side. If you put the bucket edge down vertical, it will dig in and be harder to pivot, but if you can move it at the same time as the backhoe that's a lot of force to move backwards (forwards isn't nearly as effective). The brush isn't needed at all if you're using backhoe methods. You've found the weakness of a 2wd backhoe, or any 2wd tractor loader really, even without a load in the front bucket, just the weight of the loader and bucket is enough to take so much weight off the back that you'll sink and spin if the surface is SOFT AND SLOPPY. Soft and dry, you're usually fine. Slippery but firm and FLAT, you're usually fine. If it freezes there, an inch or two of frost will dry that up to cross stuff you wouldn't believe. But you won't be able to do much work with the loader because it will break up and mix up mud as you run over it, use the backhoe to do what you can. If it starts to melt, you're screwed because all that moisture that got sucked to the surface and froze, is now supersaturated slick mud. The basic freeze thaw mechanism that's responsible for most of the expense of highways across half the US, and therefore most of the reason for this site. And now you get to experience it as intimately as anybody.

  13. #13skyking12023-11-25 12:36

    When you get it to a shop get a set like these and fix that. https://www.palletforks.com/skid-st...L5nikafPcgC2fHyonw89M1Q8KpKvAhWRoCke4QAvD_BwE Then get 3 extra teeth and fit a moldboard on those if you want a smooth edge.

  14. #14franklin22023-11-25 13:00

    Talk about inexperienced, I was afraid to even back mine off the trailer when I got it, I got the guy that hauled it to get it off. It's very frustrating to dig with too in the beginning, but don't give up. You will finally get the hang of digging with it after a few weeks of using it. And then the thing is so big, maneuvering around and loading and dumping dirt takes a little time also. You have to get used to the tires dropping down holes and the whole machine leaning to one side. You think for sure it's going to tip over but it doesn't. I still sometimes swing the hoe over so it's up hill if I get on a hill I am not comfortable with.

  15. #15skyking12023-11-25 15:03

    set the outrigger like a training wheel for the real butt pucker spots, and go slow. Don't forget it's down or you will clip all sorts of stuff. When I worked the new 416C bent boom Cats, they had an issue with swing. You reach back and swing the bucket to one side to work a tight spot, then straighten it back up and brand new machines, 2 of them, would continue to creep all the way over to the other side. I was driving in traffic and I got this wide eyed look and look back to find the boom all the way over towards the traffic!

  16. #16jimmynoshow2023-11-25 18:23

    I was talking to the guy who did some work for me with his excavator before I bought my own like I said it’s 4 1/2 hours away when you head up the cost of fuel and me by myself all day if it was very close, of course I would keep trying and I’m sure I would get it, but he told me just mail him a key he’ll go out there with the excavator and move it over for me 400 bucks so I’m just gonna have them do that this week if I want to go up there at the end of the week I could pay more attention to doing other things that I wanted to. At least I know the machine will be out and I don’t have to worry anymore. Thank you guys for all your help. I still have learned a lot on this one. And have plenty of learned ideas if I do get stuck again and I’m sure I will. This form has been great. All good advice from you Gentlemen I don’t feel I’m throwing in the towel I feel it’s cheaper for him to 400 bucks and know that my machines in a safe spot and ready to work

  17. #17colson042023-11-26 10:05

    How many teeth is recommended for an 84" bucket? I don't know how far these are usually spaced.

  18. #18skyking12023-11-26 10:28

    it's his digging bucket. They torched off the shanks. I see 5 on a 24".

  19. #19skyking12023-11-26 10:33

    Jimmy if at the end of the day your machine is safe and high and dry and all the tires hold air, it is a victory. "Pride of ownership" can get really expensive. Hopefully you can get somebody to give you some pointers on what it can do, and can't do. I learned a lot on a 2wd Cat 416 extendahoe, working on a dam job. I had a guy give me some pointers when I really needed it too.

  20. #20jimmynoshow2023-11-26 13:54

    Thank you , the 416 cat 4wd was the other one I was going to buy , but seller tried to get cute on me saying somebody was coming half hour before me. I told him you know what buddy just sell it I wasn’t dealing with that kind of pressure. Ended up finding this one right around the corner from my house .it needed to fix the loader, neutral switch button I replaced it with a regular momentary switch, and the thing suddenly went into forward and drive I bought it originally needing a shuttle drive. when the seller was asking me to help him with my truck, pull it to the end of his property I jumped underneath and disconnected the actuator and it went right in gear and we were able to drive it. He wasn’t too happy about that such a simple fix but I did offer to throw him more money, and yes, I did , doing things like that. Make me sleep easier at night. Although my friend said, I was stupid for giving him or offering him more money after the deal was done I felt even needing a shuttle drive. It was still worth 5 to 6 Grand , the shuttle drive to me look at the size of a turkey I would of unbolted that threw it on my bench and rebuild it probably for about $400 for the kit . Having it transported upstate was expensive though I don’t own a trailer or a truck strong enough to pull it. Although my Cummins six BT dodge ram probably could do a good job of it but she’s getting a little old.

  21. #21jimmynoshow2023-11-26 13:57
  22. #22jimmynoshow2023-11-26 13:58

    Great idea yeah I see I think I’m gonna order a set. Looks like approximately $200 shipped to the door weld them on and be done.

  23. #231693TA2023-11-26 14:09

    I've had similar happen in the past and just tell the seller if the party doesn't make purchase, give me a call. Dirty pool and I don't play that game at all unless something I really need, or want. It is then I try to purchase cheap.

  24. #24skyking12023-11-26 14:09

    yep. and if you want a moldboard get 2 or 3 extra teeth and a chunk of steel to weld across them.

  25. #25jimmynoshow2023-11-26 16:32

    Of course I Of course I wanna moldboard , what is it? I need a visual lol.

  26. #26jimmynoshow2023-11-26 16:36

    What I found sometimes if you tell a person who’s selling something you’re going to come Saturday then the next person calls them they tell the next guy somebody’s coming Saturday and the greedy person usually wants to beat you to it so you screw yourself out of it. Now I only called when I wanna purchase something and I’ll say I’ll come right now.lesson learned… I have also said that the way you said it if it doesn’t work out, give me a call but at that point when it doesn’t work out my price is dropping

  27. #27skyking12023-11-26 17:03

    It's just a steel plate to make a smooth cutting edge when you don't need the teeth and want a smooth hard finish. You can lay a flat bucket and get some smooth surface, but a regular backhoe has about 5' of flat bucket laying range. Why you want a smooth hard finish? When doing pipe work, for one. If you dig with a toothy bucket it makes some soft material that can go to heck when it rains. If the ground is good it is not that big a deal, but I have seen your site pictures LOL!

  28. #28jimmynoshow2023-11-26 17:10

    Thanks , i gotta a few before pics , i made most of that mess trying to get out , but it was muddy when i got there , before was a picture of how the kid with the mini excavator was gonna get me pulled out with his buddy did it, but my cheap partner never agreed to threw the stone down. I really like the way you made that edge for the bucket looks great. That’s what the guy needed who I bought the machine from. That’s probably why he cut off those teeth.

  29. #29skyking12023-11-26 17:13

    on a 5 tooth bucket you weld it to the 2nd and 4th tooth. The other 3 back it up. Then you take the pins out of those two teeth and put teeth back on there when digging the hard stuff.

  30. #30NH575E2023-11-26 17:15

    Weighing in on the off topic discussion, For what it's worth I wouldn't depend on anything from Pallet forks dot com to arrive complete. I got a thumb from them okay but have had very bad luck with anything else including a box of bucket teeth that came the the wrong retainers and not being able to communicate to straighten the order out. That said I ended up with the single point tiger teeth and can say they are some root ripping SOBs. I haven't done business with this diggersupply company on eBay but their feedback suggests they are a reputable company. 4 Backhoe, Excavator Bucket Shanks Fits 1" Lip, Tiger Rock Teeth & Pins- 23TL | eBay 4 - 23TL Singe Tiger Rock Teeth. Fits Many John Deere, Case, Terex Backhoe Buckets. 4 - 2740-ZW-23 Weld On Bucket Shanks,(Fits 1" Thick Bucket Lip). 4 - 230PN Flex Pins. www.ebay.com I got these direct from a CAT dealer. I just needed the points and got out for a little over $100. These are on my 24" wide bucket. 4 teeth have worked fine for me.

  31. #31skyking12023-11-26 17:17

    Good to know.

  32. #321693TA2023-11-26 18:45

    I'll indirectly second a not so favorable response for palletforks.com as the parts were not mine; I was only the installer.

  33. #33skyking12023-11-26 20:45

    Thanks guys for the reviews, I only used it for the visual reference and have not purchased shanks or teeth online. I prefer to support local vendors when I can or soon enough we won't be able to go buy something we really need today.

  34. #341693TA2023-11-26 20:47

    My son in law is parts manager at a John Deere construction dealership and can get most anything I need at good pricing as family is a player. They take care of me and I them if possible.

  35. #35jimmynoshow2023-11-26 21:28

    So ebay it is !

  36. #361693TA2023-11-26 21:32

    Bounce ebay, Amazon, Etsy, and even Wayfair against one another. Most vendors pushing their wares are on all of them.

  37. #37Mike-G2023-11-26 21:44

    The first experience I had with a backhoe was also a two wheel drive. By the end of the day I was stuck far worse than that. We tried to help pull with a utility tractor but it would not budge. I also walked away and overnight it dried out enough that it walked right out of the hole the next morning. Sometimes time is your friend.

  38. #381693TA2023-11-26 22:00

    I had a 780CK case TLB when building my shop. I was almost but not quite 4 foot away from the open trench I'd dug earlier a for footing pour and this caved off almost rolling the tractor over with me still in the cab for the ride. Was slow and soft so nothing hurt. Too much of an angle to get a good fulcrum using the boom. Wound up with my winch truck, and a rollback with two salvage cars on the deck and literally dragged it out of the trench till traction could be garnered.

  39. #39Welder Dave2023-11-27 00:42

    In the future if you get stuck and there is a big enough tree, you can use that as an anchor point to pull your self out with the hoe. You don't want the hoe reached all the way out. About 30 deg's. back from vertical with the bucket about 75% dumped. Hook the chain or tow strap to the front of the bucket. If you don't have teeth hook the chain hooks on the bucket edge or corners on the side plates at the cutting edge and run the chain under the bucket or beside the bucket. Tighten the chain as much as you can before trying to pull yourself out. If the stick won't pull you curl the bucket in. The bucket curl has the most power. I've pulled my track loader with backhoe out this way. If it's sunk it's good to lift it up and throw logs or boards under the tires so you can slowly try to back up while pulling with the backhoe. You may have to re-adjust the chain a few times to get pulled back enough. The digging force on the backhoe bucket is probably 8000 to 10,000lbs. That's quite a bit of extra pull.

  40. #40aighead2023-11-30 07:24

    Lots of good advice for getting unstuck. Chains did not work for me last time, but they were maybe just too weak. I'm going to add that it may not be a bad idea to throw on that seatbelt too, if you don't normally wear it. My last time stuck I used the hoe to lift my back wheels out but that had me up in the sky pretty high and it was scary, even with outriggers down close to the ground. My front wheels were also very deep and I felt like I needed to turn the steering wheel a bit as I was able to slide sideways with the hoe side. There was a fair amount of trying to do 3 things at once, so you do a little of each and crawl your way out. What worked for me was lift the back up with the hoe and swing sideways as much as I could, then set the outriggers down, so I didn't slide back into the original hole, repeat that a bunch, hoping the big tires find some purchase, then shoving with the loader bucket while pulling with the hoe. I'd say as you learn about unsticking it won't be uncommon to spend hours figuring it out. I tend to try for a bit then either just sit and take a break or walk away from the machine for a bit. Also, learn to get unstuck, even if it takes hours. Looking at your space this won't be the last time it happens. You can also practice by just moving the machine around without driving. You don't have to practice by actually being stuck. Get that feel for swinging the machine around with the hoe and pushing with the loader, but kind of at the same time.

  41. #41aighead2023-11-30 12:56

    !I forgot to mention when you lift or pull or push, move those levers REAAAALLLLY slow, especially the swing! Maybe, if you aren't very good at slow movements with the swing lever, you sit and practice that with each hand (while not worrying about actually getting unstuck yet), because you may end up needing your "normal" swing hand to control pushing with the loader bucket while swinging or doing something else. Fast swinging when your hoe bucket is the only touching the ground and you are 4 feet higher in the cab gets sketchy real quick. I've tried to get used to moving any of my levers as little as possible to get the slowest, most precise movement I can. Millimeters at a time. I've, thusly, gotten way closer to things to save myself picking up a real shovel.

  42. #42jimmynoshow2023-12-01 12:20

    It crosses my mind to put a winch on mine , anyone ever done that ?

  43. #43aighead2023-12-01 12:27

    I haven't heard of it but if you could find a spot where you wouldn't have cable running across hydraulic lines maybe it'd be ok. I think I was using 4000lb rated chains (granted from Harbor freight) and they broke like they weren't even there on my last stuckedness. A cable (rated much higher) I'm sure would be better. You may also find, as you grow more experienced, that the challenge of getting unstuck is kind of fun. Not fun enough you go swamping on purpose but very rewarding to get out of.

  44. #44Delmer2023-12-01 13:09

    Learn to use the tool before trying to re invent it. A winch on a backhoe is the last thing that would cross my mind.

  45. #45HarleyHappy2023-12-02 10:09

    No winch, but what I did do in Tennessee, dealing with that slick mud when it gets wet, with a 4 wheel drive Cat backhoe, that I was sick of getting stuck everywhere. I found a Budd rim and made a collar that bolted right over one of the back wheel studs that stuck outside the rear tire and rim by 8“. When I got stuck, I would break out chains and wrap the around that Budd rim and chain to a good tree with a snatch block and I could put it in reverse and that chain would wrap around that drum like a winch. I kept taking it off, when I didn’t need it but just ended up leaving it on, it was so handy.

  46. #46MG842023-12-02 11:20

    No need for a winch, just get proficient at operating the machine and situations like your original post will only be a minor inconvenience. An experienced operator could have had the machine out of that stuck in literally 5-10min. In 23 years of running backhoes I’ve never had one stuck bad enough I couldn’t get it out under it’s own power.

  47. #47jimmynoshow2023-12-02 11:31

    Thats how we started this post , everything an experienced operator does in 2 min takes me 20 min ,and my limited time up there , next spring I’ll get better at it . Im going to do what one gentleman said “practice getting out when not actually stuck, i got maybe 4-5 hrs exp on the machine and as i said my buddy fell in the mud twisted his ankle and just wanted to go home , guy with excavator is supposed to be there this morning getting it out , hopefully they did and don’t have any problems, also, like I said, I figured it would be cheaper just to pay them rather than me messing around another 4-5hours and possibly breaking something .right now She’s ready to work in the spring , as soon as she gets out of the mud.

  48. #48DDoug2023-12-02 12:45

    I got stuck several times in my skid loader, so I finally installed a rat tail (the hook point was under the back, and very hard to get a chain to while submerged) Have not gotten stuck since, so have not needed it.....

  49. #49jimmynoshow2023-12-02 13:37

    Looks like a complete waste of resources this trip, they absolutely could not get it to start , they didn’t warm the oil pan and didn’t try either, the guy I bought it from said it was a xxxxxxxxxxxx to start in the winter , I guess I’ll go back up there in a few months and see if I can get it running

  50. #50skyking12023-12-02 13:50

    @digger doug that is how Murphy rolls I have one stuck story from the Dam Job that is funny. It was nothing like most sites, down in the cut. They chased rotten rock to get to a good interface to pour the concrete, so it had dips and holes and in this one area, a wicked 40' long slope in both directions. I went down it once. I started in slowly and after awhile the tires just started sliding on the slick rock, both downhill and sideways. I got off the brakes and goosed it, and then the downhill tire came up against a knob and she rocked up high on two wheels, hung there for what seemed like eternity, and then rocked back down. The pucker factor was as high as I had seen in my young career. I did what was needed down there and then it was time to back up out of there. I did have an extendahoe, but he outrigger rubber pads were gone. Normally you just don't care on a dirt job but when you are trying to set yourself on steep slick rock, that rubber would have been very welcome. I found a little edge up there and hooked it with the moldboard on the bucket all stretched out. I sucked in the stick and tucked up until I was right on top of that. Then I set the outriggers down and locked the brake (2WD) and got the front bucket hooked in as best I could, and released that hold. I tried that and failed several times, sliding all the way back down to that knob I mentioned above, the pucker knob. There was just nothing else to hook onto in the middle of that slope. the drillers had an Ingersoll Rand rock drill with a little winch on it up on the bench, and I got a winch assist out of there

  51. #51skyking12023-12-02 14:27

    Jimmy I have a strong suggestion to make. Get your battery charger and generator and a can of ether and the heater and whatever you think you might want to get it started and get back up there. Take 6~8 pieces of scrap plywood with you. Lift the front end up with the front bucket and put two pieces under those tires. Do the same on the back tires. Level out the mud and get the plywood flat, and set it under there. Put he machine back on the now unstuck tires. If it wants to sink bad, take a couple more pieces and leave the outriggers down so that it is just about level with the world. Come back when it is hard frozen and drive it out. I am presuming that it gets that cold where you are. If you don't get it out of the mud now it is a real PITA and you end up waiting till the melt and then you have the mud again. Frozen into the mud like that is bad for those back tires.

  52. #52jimmynoshow2023-12-02 15:47

    Thats what my buddy who fell said , thats what we’re going to end up doing, will bring the bullet heater generator for oil pan some either and do it when ground is frozen , i think they got it out of the hole , the right front tire looks up

  53. #53skyking12023-12-02 16:15

    It is the back tires I am concerned about. If they get frozen in you are really hosed. My solution requires 2 trips. This is the price for pride of ownership. Go get it up before those back tires get locked in. While you are at it, bring the battery home with you when you get done. When it is good and hard you can drive it out with ease, but not if it is locked in the ice.

  54. #54jimmynoshow2023-12-02 16:34

    Ok , and i always take the battery with me home so shes charged

  55. #55MG842023-12-02 19:51

    Once you get it back on firm ground and have some time to play with it, do take time to practice some of the moves as suggested. Not only are some of these techniques useful for getting a machine unstuck, but also for regular everyday digging tasks. For example, you need to get proficient at pushing the machine along with the hoe, which is the only efficient way to move forward when trenching. Also needed when lifting/pushing yourself forward to jump over an open ditch or trench. Next is lifting the machine and pivoting it side to side with the hoe. This is used to quickly square up to parallel sides of a wider hole or trench (say 6-8’ wide) as you are digging it. Also useful for getting yourself on or off a trench you are straddling. Lastly using the hoe and loader together to lift and walk the machine, useful for getting up and out of deeper excavations with straight walls. Some of these are pretty advanced techniques and situation you may never need, but others you’ll encounter regularly. I see it all the time where new operators just view a backhoe as a tractor with a couple attachments on it. Don’t be the guy who digs a few feet of trench, spins the seat around, lifts up the outriggers and loader, and puts it in gear to move ahead a few feet lol.

  56. #56colson042023-12-03 08:47

    I'm that guy, but I never had any formal training on advanced techniques either. I bought my Deere 310A from my grandpa, who used it to dig trench for irrigation pipe. He dug what he could reach, spun around, pulled forward, re-set and continued. I'll have to practice sliding myself forward for trench work, as that would really speed up the process. @jimmynoshow , do what @skyking1 said and get that hoe above the mud. If those rear tires freeze in and you go jarring on it, they could lose a bead. Then you're in a worse situation that requires a mobile tire guy on top of getting it free.

  57. #57Old Doug2023-12-03 09:34

    I ran a skid steer with a back hoe attachment. It was a pain the hoe wouldnt move the skid steer so you had to get out of the seat climb down in the skid steer back it up get back on the other seat and dig some more.

  58. #58skyking12023-12-03 10:23

    ^ yes Doug, me too, one time only. That cured me.

  59. #59DDoug2023-12-03 12:56

    This is "Stuck" ^^^ ???

  60. #60Delmer2023-12-03 13:12

    Right, that is not stuck, that is just normal slipping in the mud with a 2wd backhoe. You have to try a lot harder than that to get really stuck. Looks like it's not steep, or flat either, there's a wet area in the background, but this immediate area is not particularly wet. There should be no question of it sinking further, or not reaching a bottom. It doesn't even look like the tires are deep enough to freeze into the ice from the first pics before the snow. The snow won't be a problem, and if the water freezes over the top it will hold the snow and allow the water to soak in possibly without any frost at all. Pick a nice day that you want to do some work and go up there, either now or in the spring, it won't hurt it one bit to sit as long as the battery is charged up when it was shut off. If they cranked it till dead, they should have removed the battery, or charged it or it will freeze.

  61. #61aighead2023-12-03 13:30

    This may be a dumb question but how much trouble would it be to just drag her out with the excavator? Even if in gear? It's stuck, right? The tires should slide until you are on firmer ground, even then I'd think the tires would just rut a bit but still slide until you are on something hard... Skyking- that story sounds terrifying!

  62. #62skyking12023-12-03 14:56

    not really a dumb question but a most definite "Not going to happen that way". Dead machine weight is really difficult to overcome.

  63. #63jimmynoshow2023-12-03 15:24

    What is easy for you , obviously is not for me , just as i would say in my trade, loading 35 loaded shipping containers on to a ship on a windy day is also easy as some guys can load 10-12 per hr depending on wind condition and ship bay placement

  64. #64jimmynoshow2023-12-03 15:29

    I think he brought the tiny excavator , just got to get up there myself, if I was getting paid to get a machine out I think I would’ve called and said I can’t get it started before I left and said I couldn’t get it started . My bad for trusting that they would get it done waste of $400. I was on vacation this week instead of trusting somebody else and paying to get it out for no aggravation. I should’ve just went up there myself my bad this kind of ******** won’t ever happen again.

  65. #65jimmynoshow2023-12-03 15:37

    Like I said, they said they couldn’t get it started by the way I’m going up there with Either, tools generator, bullet heater , fuel filters , fuel shut off solenoid, lift pump and diesel and batteries, I will get that machine running! and once I do, I’ll lift her up if nonetheless get wood underneath so she’s on flat ground if I get running real quick, I might try to play and see if I can get it out otherwise I’m just shooting for getting it out of any holes hoping to drive it out next trip when it’s frozen solid

  66. #66skyking12023-12-03 15:42

    Where do you work?

  67. #67jimmynoshow2023-12-03 15:46

    Newark New Jersey

  68. #68skyking12023-12-03 15:48

    cool beans. I have worked on the infrastructure of that environment a couple of times as a deck engineer on a derrick, and a boom truck operator. I'll post a link. EDIT: Last time I worked on a container facility. The TWIC card is expired now and won't get renewed HeavyEquipmentForums

  69. #69jimmynoshow2023-12-03 15:59

    Yeah , im not a bachoe operator, just bought this to do things to a property my friend and I split up In Pulaski New York, we been fishing up there for 20 years and wanted something on the water ant this property we ended up buying. Needs to be leveled and a few dump trucks of stone to be able to put a couple of campers up there so I figured if I just bought a backhoe would be cheaper than renting one . Also good for driveway snow to get to the property

  70. #70skyking12023-12-03 16:15

    so you have no real schedule, right? In that case try to refrain from operating in the mud My dad said, you know what mud and **** have in common? The more you stir them, the worse they stink. Don't get me wrong, I've worked in some real crap spots that you dared not get down off the equipment, but that was on somebody else's dime and their schedule. You get SOO much more done on a nice dry day in the dry season. No mess to clean up. No mud to try and make look good. The rocks goes so much farther on the dry ground too.

  71. #71Coytee2023-12-03 16:26

    Mr. Jimmynoshow, I'm also not an operator. I bought a JCB 1550B essentially cold turkey (from brother in law so was trusted source) One thing I did in the very beginning was to go down by the lake. Put machine down to idle. Dipped the backhoe bucket into the lake to fill it. I tried to move that bucket as many directions as I could, without spilling any water. I can't say factually how much that helped me learn but I don't think it slowed down any learning! Also, what MG84 says above makes a lot of sense. I looked for pictures (which I know I have) and can't find them yet. I live next to a managed lake. They lower the levels during winter and let it raise back up for spring/summer. (It's a TVA, Tennessee Valley Authnority lake) I obtained permission to take my backhoe out to the now exposed 'beach' since the water was down. This would otherwise be maybe 4-5 feet deep when the water is up. I used the hoe to skim some muck and dumped it closer to shore. Later, I scooped the pile near the shore and dumped it into a smaller tractor that had a loader so someone could carry it to a ravine on the farm. Win/win....until I sunk down to my axel's. I was utterly dead in the muck. I am however, persistent. I had thought of several things.... try to pull it out (brother in law has some heavy machinery) maybe tie off to a tree and see if I could roll bucket over & over & over to inch my way out.... I finally used hoe to push wheels out of the muck, had outriggers down to slow sinking back in. Used hoe to crab the back end around (I was facing INTO the deeper lake so going in reverse just slung mud) Used the hoe to move up, over, down..... up, over,down.... again & again until I could redirect towards the shore. I also had to raise the front bucket so things weren't binding up there. Once pointed in the right direction I then did what I call "pogo'ed" Put the front bucket up, I don't recall if the outriggers were up (probably) or maybe down partially to protect a bit towards rolling to side. Just like you might do a push up.... I used the hoe as an arm to push the machine up and forward and also had (if I recall) machine in gear so wheels were also trying to move (2-wd) I had let worry get in my way and I just "knew" that it was stuck there forever and "soon" (like 5 months later) the water was going to rise and ruin everything..... that was very unfounded as there were other ways to also try to pull it out BUT, pushing with the hoe did it. Not being familiar with your machine, I'm going to presume the hoe can easily lift and shake the entire machine so it has the power, you just want to be pointed in the right direction.

  72. #72jimmynoshow2023-12-03 16:40

    Good story

  73. #73Delmer2023-12-03 18:37

    I don't remember if you said anything about your mechanical experience, but the first thing I'd say to get it started is to warm up the engine, bring a charged warm battery to swap in, and wait until the engine is warm before trying anything like filters. If you can get #1 diesel, bring that and add it to the tank, but if you can get the engine up to 50 with a heater, you shouldn't have any problem.

  74. #74aighead2023-12-04 07:14

    I'm with skyking on trying to not work in the mud, but I know sometimes that's almost impossible. The amount of dry days, that have been dry for enough days to not rut up my entire yard, are few. You have to take advantage of what you can, but the ruts are real.

  75. #75skyking12023-12-04 09:50

    I don't have many pictures of the real crap holes, you want to forget. I'm at the top of that slope behind the dump truck in a narrow alley, about to dive down there with some bedding. It was just a slide on that steel sheet at the bottom, like freestyle skiing. The pumps were set on either side of that but the bathtub beyond was just a nightmare. We squeegeed all that crap around and managed to drop enough semi-solids out of it to "backfill". Catchbasins, oil water separator, Sanitary and storm piping in there. This was my last trip out. To quote Deadpool, Maximum Effort!

  76. #76skyking12023-12-04 10:00

    Day 1 "they are ready for you to go start the job" REALLY? The mini was brand new with about 100 hours on it. I washed clay out of the undercarriage for a weekend at my house.

  77. #77jimmynoshow2023-12-04 11:16

    Muddy ! Wow

  78. #78Welder Dave2023-12-04 15:15

    Getting a rubber tire backhoe stuck is nothing like getting a track loader with a backhoe stuck. The absolute worst is when the slop packed in the tracks and around the sprockets freezes solid. It was all a D5N could do to get it out. I had to lift the machine with the hoe or it wouldn't have came out. What happened was I broke through a few inches of frozen ground into very sloppy loam. I had to get it out. If I waited till spring for everything to thaw out it would have just kept sinking where I'd need a really big machine to get it out.

  79. #79aighead2023-12-05 06:39

    That 4th picture from Skykings series shows, clearly, the ruts I was talking about. That's looks like a miserable place to try to work.

  80. #80HarleyHappy2023-12-06 11:10

    Worst thing I hate, is trying to grade mud! Rule # 1, don’t work in the mud unless the big money is paying.

  81. #81Delmer2023-12-06 13:40

    Especially with a 2wd backhoe!

  82. #82skyking12023-12-06 15:11

    I've had to make mud look good that was 3/4 track on a 200. You just back out of there and smoochy it around, and hope that the landscapers coming behind you know that they really can't go out there. It really doesn't matter what it looks like now. Come back in 4 months please.

  83. #83Georgia Iron2023-12-06 17:22

    Looking at your first photos does that area ever get dry? You can take a 12 k winch, put it on a 3/8s steel plate so it does not twist itself apart, cut some chain holds on the plate, chain it to a tree, and winch your self towards the tree. When it gets under tensions it all lifts off the ground till the heights on each end are equal. I have hand carried in winches and batteries to help myself along. My 12k warn is mounted to a hitch on a plate so it can be moved to the rear of my truck if needed. I have several 100 feet of cables and chains and a few tires to run the cables threw to help stop the whip of a snapped line. If that area stays wet you might as well sell that backhoe and getting you something with some wide tracks. Of course they just help you get stuck deeper.

  84. #84skyking12023-12-06 17:47

    He may be able to dry out a lot of that with a ditch *dug in the dry season*.

  85. #85jimmynoshow2023-12-06 18:33

    I recently purchased a property. I don’t believe she’s wet all the time was plenty dry in the summertime and our intentions are to put some stone over there . and all over the area so we could place a couple of campers.

  86. #86T-town2023-12-06 20:25

    If your property is where I think you are..... thats 'some' snow country for sure. Might even be a bit more so this year of the 'nino' ?? All lake effect which can get 'crazy'..... but I'll bet I'm not telling you anything new... ...could be your iron is snowed in for a bit?? Maybe a bit more intense 'mud' season in the spring??? when that snowpac leaves.. good luck with it and your 'camp' spot.

  87. #87jimmynoshow2023-12-06 21:09

    Yes snow country on salmon river thank you, and it is the snowbelt ,were gonna make an attempt to head up Christmas week , my friend is on vacation, ill take a day off and someone on this forum was generous enough to offer some help, hopefully we can get it out. Just get it moved over. It’s muddy only the spot that it’s in. I parked in the worst possible spot. I didn’t know that at the time. Its dry to the left of machine by driveway.

  88. #88jimmynoshow2023-12-06 21:17

    I wasn’t there. I think the excavator they used was probably too small looking with that little plow blade on it. It goes back to if you want something right done right you got to be up there yourself I wasn’t there it’s my fault and she still stuck. I am going up there in about two weeks and hopefully I’ll have her out. The battery came home with me so they brought their own battery which is probably half dead. Who knows I only know what they tell me. Believe me, this lesson is learned.

  89. #89jimmynoshow2023-12-29 23:08

    I would like to thank Doghead for helping out with his machine, I am very grateful, he yanked my machine out like a pro , we hung out had some lunch , even got bucket off found leak , swapped tire and starter bolts , made a new friend , super productive day , great forum , great people, it was really bothering me that my machine was stuck up there . Your machine is very nice with all goodies 4wd extendahoe and closed cab . My brother inlaw and my bud Harold helped out too, great day

  90. #90skyking12023-12-29 23:16

    Nice teamwork, looking good high and dry now.

  91. #91jimmynoshow2023-12-30 09:28

    Yes

  92. #92HarleyHappy2023-12-30 09:49

    Awesome, great forum.