Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Studs or Bolts used for mounting D4E Hyster Winch?

Metalman 55 ยท 2015-03-01 16:17

As mentioned on an earlier post, when the weather breaks I am planning on mounting a D4E Hyster Winch on my D4D 78A 5667 dozer that is operational & the previous owner of the parts machine with the winch on it that I bought last summer, took the torch to it to remove the winch, (see picture of parts machine) so it was already off by the time I got it. Now there are just some nubs sticking out where he slashed it off. I was wanting to ask if studs are used or bolts to fasten the winch to my operational unit? I see where the drawbar hitch on my operating D4D is fastened, studs are used & 4 of the drawbar studs (bottom ones) is where the lower bolt up point of the winch goes, as nuts are facing out. Also, will they be grade 5 or 8? It looks like they are all 7/8#9. Thanks, Metalman.

Replies5
  1. #1AllDodge2015-03-01 17:37

    Here is a link to the installation and parts manual http://www.alliedsystems.com/pdf/Winch/Manuals/599183W.pdf

  2. #2crookedwrench2015-03-01 18:42

    I was able to use my drawbar studs when I put a D4F on my 78A. Used grade 8's on the top. Make sure you control cables are operational before you mount the winch. Getting non-operational control cables out and new ones in on a mounted winch is a real task. Double check the condition and adjustments of your brakes before you make the cover plates very unhandy to access. Finally, You will likely have water in the winch drive? Just go ahead and drain and replace with new oil before mounting. New O ring for PTO mount would be wise. I learned my lessons the hard way? Check with rigging companies for used cable----they have to replace crane cables if there is the least sign of damage or wear. My local company gave me a huge spool that I got 210' of pristine 3/4" cable.

  3. #3Metalman 552015-03-01 19:00

    Thanks for the tips on the installation Crookedwrench. That will be helpful. I did replace the brakes about 200 hrs. ago, so they should be good for a while. Did you use studs or bolts for the top ones? I see on the Alliedsystems link that AllDodge sent (thanks for that too) they call for studs, but I wondered if hex bolts would work ok? Metalman

  4. #4crookedwrench2015-03-01 20:02

    I used Grade 8 bolts on the top, but I do not remember the length. I do not have a drawbar now, and I wish I did. IF you are considering a drawbar, get it NOW! Mounting that winch should only be done ONCE! Control Cables are@$200each. Allied can help you if needed.

  5. #5Metalman 552015-03-01 20:24

    Actually the parts machine (Left) does has a swinging drawbar that I plan to install onto my operational D4D, along with the winch. The operational dozer one has conventional one that is coming off.