Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stumper bucket

southernman13 ยท 2015-12-10 19:53

Fixin to get one for our 320c. Who's used em or has em. Hearing good results. Just curios. Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1movindirt2015-12-11 00:14

    Do mean like a ripper shank? We've got one for our Cat 215, definitely saves some time as opposed to digging out all the dirt around the stump. you can just shear off the roots and pull the stump out. As far as what brands to buy, I don't really even know what brand mine is, it hasn't broken yet so I don't worry about it

  2. #2southernman132015-12-11 10:46

    This is a little different than a ripper. It's more like 2 rippers joined together spaced about 20" apart but same principle I reckon. This one is made by USA attachments and has a bolt on rake as well. It's pretty cool. I'll give it a try next week sometime

  3. #31026phr2015-12-11 15:05

    Stump Ripper... Here's one that we bought this summer. Craig Attachments made it to spec. Works very well....

  4. #4southernman132015-12-12 07:05

    That's nice looks basically like mine. Has is saved you time vs a bucket

  5. #5movindirt2015-12-12 09:07

    I see what you mean, that looks slick!! Does the rake part bolt up pretty easy?

  6. #6southernman132015-12-12 09:17

    Yes sir. It has 4 carriage bolts and lays in the stumper. Only takes a few minutes to hook it up or take it off

  7. #7movindirt2015-12-14 13:56

    That would be handy to have, so long as it didn't get bent or tweaked, might be difficult to put the bolts in and out. Definitely let us know how well it works, and remember, pics are always welcome

  8. #81026phr2015-12-14 14:20

    Put's less strain on the machine. More suited to the task of cutting roots & lifting stumps vs digging dirt. Configuration puts nearly all pressure of root against two side tines vs sides of bucket & bottom of bucket/teeth. Side tines are beveled & help with cutting roots. Having the tines & middle section that is cut out, is more suited to the task. Three tines on our hydraulic thumb fit nicely with the stumping attachment. Two on the outside of the tines, one in the middle. Not trying to cut & pull stumps with an attachment meant for digging. Your's is a bit more involved. I will bet that the bolt on root basket would be great for clean up. But for stumping you may want to run the attachment without that basket. The basket will put more force on the attachment, some of it turning force, without adding a lot to the effort in cutting roots & digging stumps. As said earlier, probably great for cleanup of slash, branches, etc. You may want to try stumping with and without that basket to see which works better & which approach puts the least amount of force on your machine.

  9. #9southernman132015-12-14 20:23

    Tenfo I plan on using the rake with the stumper for clean up only. I'll use the stumper alone for stumpin. The rake is a lot beefier than it looks and it sits down in the stumper real nice. It has 4 carriage bolts like maybe 1" that hold it in place. I would think if you were using it for clean up it would be just fine. I bought this set up used it was used to stump 120 acres and had been sitting for 3 years or so

  10. #10cjb802015-12-21 11:49

    I would be curious to know how much the attachment helps versus just using a 2' bucket. I have a JD 120C (28K lbs) and it can struggle getting out large stumps and oak stumps in particular. Some of the large stumps take 45 minutes to an hours to remove! I have about 40 acres to clear and the attachment looks really nice as it solves two problems in one. Do you think that the rake could be used to quickly remove brush (for example, things with smallish trunks at ~1.5" diameter)?

  11. #11Tags2015-12-21 18:57

    I don't have a stumper bucket like that but I do own a ripper tooth and I have a hydraulic thumb on both my mini and a Kobelco 115 (similar to a 120 size machine) and it makes much shorter work when stumping compared to ANY conventional bucket. I think that stumper bucket would work well, especially for cleanup after, but I've never tried one.

  12. #12southernman132015-12-21 21:56

    I probably won't get to test it out for a few more weeks but I've heard it cuts a lot of time especially on the smaller 20" type stuff. I'll give a report if I ever get to use it hehe