Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stupid Excavator Question

mthurston0001 ยท 2015-05-13 16:06

I'm a noob to heavy equipment. Got an excavator out here and I don't even know how to start it. Isn't there a "master key" I must turn first? If so where is it? What next? I just don't want to break a key off in the ignition trying to start it. I've done an internet search and I keep coming up with nothing. Thanks.

Replies16
  1. #1Buckethead2015-05-13 17:36

    Not trying to be mean here mthurston, but if you don't know how to start it maybe you should leave it alone until an operator is there to help you. Please understand, I don't mean to discourage you from learning, but you need someone who is experienced to show you things and stop you before you get into wires or something. Hope this helps.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-05-13 19:38

    Depends on the machine, if you would give us a make and model it might help a lot. Most newer excavators have a battery relay instead of the master switch, the relay pulls in and connects the batteries when you turn the key on. YMMV

  3. #3mthurston00012015-05-14 08:48

    Yeah I am trying to get someone out here. Its a Cat 320. Where is the master switch normally located? If it has a battery relay, does that mean I just have to turn the key? Thanks guys.

  4. #4Nige2015-05-14 08:59

    You don't say what model of 320 it is (there are lots) but yes they all have a main power disconnect switch usually located close to the batteries and/or fuse/relay panel. Often these are located behind the door on the LH side of the machine right behind the cab. The main disconnect switch key is usually silver in colour and has 2 prongs on it. Here's a link to a photo so you can see what it looks like. http://www.amazon.com/Ignition-Caterpillar-Komatsu-International-Number/dp/B009RWPONA

  5. #5mthurston00012015-05-14 09:15

    Oh I see. Thank you...maaaan I'm ignorant lol

  6. #6Buckethead2015-05-14 19:42

    If you can't start it, maybe it's owner does not want it operated?

  7. #7Garrie Denny2015-05-15 02:04

    Im with buckethead on this one, did you just buy this machine or steal it ? ask the last owner,im sure he will help 1 way or the other.

  8. #8Tinkerer2015-05-15 06:49

    Do you have the safety lever in the start position ?

  9. #9movindirt2015-05-15 14:25

    I dont want to sound condescending, but you bought a machine you dont know how to start? Makes me think it might be stolen..

  10. #10mthurston00012015-05-15 15:54

    Didn't say I bought it. Said I have one. It's not actually mine...wait am I incriminating myself here? lol. It's my grandfathers. Been sitting out there a while.

  11. #11Garrie Denny2015-05-16 02:19

    Was sounding rather shady there for a while,(Jurys still out). Can you ask your pop for advice or is he no longer with us ? But if it has been left to you,please CHECK before attempting to start 2 things. The engine oil level,pull and check level on dip stick. & Water level in the radiator,make sure both are right before attempting to start.

  12. #12roddyo2015-05-16 03:30

    This sounds a lot like how I learned to run a dozer

  13. #13mthurston00012015-05-16 07:34

    Lol. Yes I have a lot to learn

  14. #14x-ka-v82015-05-16 08:44

    well you've come to the right place to learn a thing or two lol! this has got to be one of the most exciting threads ive read lately... if you are going to teach yourself (which I would advise against) learn how to move it around well 1st if you go ahead and start digging like a maniac without knowing how to move it you could dig yourself into a corner, have something collapse on you or end up in your own hole!!! good luck mthurston

  15. #15mthurston00012015-05-16 09:00

    Lol that sounds like great advice! Gotta admit I'm looking forward to digging like a mo-fo lol

  16. #16roddyo2015-05-16 10:29

    Where there's a will there's a way this is a great thread about a guy with a really big dream. HeavyEquipmentForums