Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stupid question

Mikefromcny ยท 2010-04-16 21:04

Whats it called? Its actually the neighbors (has the same machine). I think I made him nervous working on it with a piece of pipe holding the loader up. Going to put an ad on craigslist looking for one, pretty neat, mine didnt come with one. I've used angle iron before, but would like the original that clamps on the cylinder when not in use. Thanks.

Replies9
  1. #1Squizzy246B2010-04-16 21:38

    No such thing as stupid questions...see signature In one of my Cat manuals it says "warning" amd shows a picture of ATCO being squished by a loader arm..Lol Later it states " Brace For Loader Lift Arms and Loader lift arm brace must be in place when working under raised lift arms ....or ATCO will get squished The maintenance Access section just talks about "Loader Lift Arm Brace"

  2. #2Deere John2010-04-16 21:57

    Since we're talking about stupid questions and there being no such thing, I thought this would be a good time and place to relate a true story. We were in 2nd year university (forestry major) studying climatology. A student asked the chemistry professor if she "could ask a stupid question". The professor said "Andrea, there is no such thing as a stupid question", so she proceeded to ask: "Is Ozonol made from Ozone?" Well the professor had to turn away to conceal his laughter, and the class just burst out laughing. He turned after about what seemed like 1 minute, and he said, barely holding in his laughter, "Andrea, I stand corrected......" Everyone had a good laugh.

  3. #3willie592010-04-16 21:57

    ahh, my aussie friend giving me a ribbing. LoL Still doing well my friend. As Squizzy stated Mikefromcny, that is the official OEM loader arm safety prop. Never work under loader arms with that prop not in place. Back to chatroom now. :waving

  4. #4OCR2010-04-17 00:51

    Stupid question: Well, the loader arm would most definitely stop, when it made contact with his head. :cool2 :tong Never, never... 'ya don't even have time for an eye blink! OCR

  5. #5Tinkerer2010-04-17 08:35

    Would it be safe to lay angle iron on the fully extended rod of both hoist cylinders ? Would they need to be clamped to the rods ? If so, what size (length is about 30") should the angle iron be ? I have a case 680C and the hoist is really heavy. I have been parking against a big tree with the hoist up and outriggers down also with the brakes locked. A friend once asked me what I was doing and I said I was going to push the tree over !!

  6. #6Mikefromcny2010-04-17 16:32

    Thanks guys, now just have to find one. -Mike

  7. #7willie592010-04-17 19:24

    LoL, and the old wise...owl had to insert himself here and reveal the secret to my longevity. One thing I've done before in absense of original safety prop is take a piece of heavy wall square tubing and cut one side out to make a U shaped channel. Grind the cut edges smooth, and glue thin strips of rubber in each end of the new channel to protect cylinder rod from the steel of the channel. Leave one end of the channel cut square to fit against cylinder gland, shape the opposite end with grinder to fit the profile of the pin boss of cylinder rod where it attaches to loader arm. You now have a nice sturdy safety prop.

  8. #8Tinkerer2010-04-17 22:58

    Thanks ATCO. I will be looking for some square tubing.

  9. #9willie592010-04-18 10:31

    When you obtain an appropriate piece of square tubing, look on the inside of it, you'll notice a weld seam. That's the side of the tube stock that I cut out and discard when making a prop channel.