Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

stupid question

cobra1379 ยท 2015-04-16 17:17

Ok I'm gunna ask a question that I'm sure will get a few chuckles. I have a case 850d dozer and there are four pedals on it. I know what 3 of them do but cant tell the other one does anything. There are the two left and right steering brakes then the mystery pedal then the gas pedal. What is the mystery pedal suppose to do?

Replies7
  1. #1CatToy2015-04-16 18:03

    If I remember correctly, it should be the brake pedal. At least that is how the 1155 track loader I tested was arranged.

  2. #2cobra13792015-04-16 18:23

    Just so you don't have to hit both the other ones at the same time? seems kinda redundant or does it work a different braking system in case the steering brakes fail? I'm used to running farm tractors hit

  3. #3CM19952015-04-16 18:46

    There are no stupid questions, just stupid answers. I am not familiar with that dozer but I believe it is the brake. Then again that could be a stupid answer..:tong

  4. #4cobra13792015-04-16 19:14

    I'm used to running farm tractors hit one to help turn hit both to stop. Could it be like a creeper clutch to ease up against something before pushing it? I read in another post that the steering brakes cut power to the track as well as applying braking to it.

  5. #5sheepfoot2015-04-16 21:09

    Both rt and lt track brake pedals have a clutch cutout in the control valve to dump the pressure on that side while turning and engaging the brake disc. The 3rd pedal is hooked up to a cable that manually applies both brakes at the same time and also helps to apply the parking brake lever when you set it for parking.

  6. #6cobra13792015-04-16 22:27

    Ok sounds like I need to adjust that cable then. Thanks everyone for the info.

  7. #7R.D.G0132015-04-19 01:13

    It is the main brake pedal, it applies both brakes together without disengaging the steering clutches. The few case dozers I have operated never really had good brakes on that pedal, don't wether it was because linkages or cable was partly seized up or there is no power assist on it .