I have a mid 70's D6 caterpillar dozer that I threw the track on. I was wondering if anybody has some tips, tricks or what tools a person is going to need in the field to put this back on. It was thrown from the drive sprocket so I'm hoping to get it back on a couple of teeth then drive it back on. Right now I'm struggling with knowing if the tension (idler) it tighten using grease or mechanical of some kind. I would appreciate any information. Thanks in advance
Here is a picture of the cat I'm using
Correction it's a D5
I am no dozer guy but I do see a big Azz spring ... and I stayed in a holiday inn express once lol.
Welcome to the forums Muddyriver! To get your track back on you will need to bring your idler back as far as possible. I'm not sure about a D5 but it looks new enough to have a hydraulic track tensioner. Dig out all the dirt under your front carrier roller, and in that area there should be a cover with an opening in it, and a grease fitting behind the opening, or if there is no cover, you should find a grease fitting at the front of your spring (at least that's where it is on my 977H)... Take this fitting out and then push the idler back with whatever you have to push with. This will slack your chain up enough that you should be able to do as you plan. I'd bring a come along and some chains, some big prybars and a grease gun with plenty of grease to pump the tensioner back up when the track is back on. Good luck!
Just a quick update. things were going very well getting the track on until I found a bad top guide wheel and a the back boogie wheel. I appreciate the help. The internet is a great place to find information if a person is willing to put in the time.
Next dilemma, I got the replacement boogie wheel. It is different from the original that I pulled off. The one that came only had flanges on the outside and the one I removed had flanges on the outside and two flanges on the inside. When I talked to the company I ordered it from they were pretty confident that the one I received is correct. Could someone tell me where I could see a service manual or find a schematic of the track assembly. I could use some info. thanks
Yair . . . muddyriver. Your "boogie wheels" are more correctly called "bottom rollers", as distinct from the "carrier rollers" which support the top of the track. Bottom rollers come in two flavours, single flange and double flange. Convention has it that single flange rollers (with just the flanges on the outside) are used closest to the sprocket and the idler. This gives a bit of leeway for the track to align with the teeth or flange. All others can be doubles although some folks go single double single . . . the theory is that the doubles help to align the track and hold it straight. In the real world I dunno if it makes any neverminds, especially if running with heavy duty rock-guards. For spares I always stocked singles as they can be positioned anywhere on the track-frame. Cheers.
Yep, what Scrub said... bolt it on and go
One of my favorite tools is a 10 ton porta power, with the hooks that can pull, helped me put tracks on many of times.
Thanks, I appreciate the great information. When I talked to the parts guy I didn't have the parts with me, but I was very confident we were talking about the same area. thanks also for teaching me the correct verbiage.