Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Stupid question about Case 580E shuttle oil level check

wrwtexan ยท 2017-01-24 22:30

I just worked over the power shuttle on my county's Case 580E and have it working and ready to go except for the fluid level. There is a sticker on the frame about how it needs to be at operating temp before checking but says nothing about whether or not the engine should be running. I poured in nearly 2 gallons and it is still at the bottom of the hatch marks... Is it like auto transmissions that have to be checked running?

Replies5
  1. #1alrman2017-01-25 07:26

    It should be checked with the engine idling. Just don't run over yourself in the process. raise the rear wheels off the ground for safety.

  2. #2wrwtexan2017-01-25 09:16

    Thanks! I just don't see where it puts nearly 2 gallons of oil...

  3. #3catskinner 102017-01-25 10:51

    Did you drain the converter? Put one gal. in it and start it then recheck add as necessary to full. Make sure brake is set and/or raise the rear wheels slightly as mentioned. Cycle the lever through Fwd/Rev. a couple times and recheck. Don't over fill. Tom

  4. #4xgiovannix122017-01-25 16:28

    i check with them running

  5. #5wrwtexan2017-01-25 19:47

    As it had quit pulling in forward, I think it had drained itself... I started it without the shuttle unit to move it outside while awaiting parts and no oil came out. I run tested it this morning and have adjusted it back down to probably 1.75 gallons and it is right where it should be. Thanks for the info everyone.