Case W26b wheel loader, tires are decent but cleaning corrals the last while with snow now on the ground and temperature right at the freezing point things are getting greasy. I picked up a pair of chains and am trying to decide where to put them. I was going to put them on the rear wheels, then started thinking that when the bucket is full the back is light and the front is heavy and it would be able to dig better with chains up front. If you only had two chains where would you put them?
The company I work for has about 40 loaders working in mud to ice, they run chains on the front tires pretty much all year round.
On the front.
front!
As others have said, by that statement you've answered your own question.........
Thanks all for the feedback. Sometimes you need to do a spot check to make sure the voices in your head are on the right track. Will get them on the front today.
front ,but we used use half worn out cases on the front to allow for different rolling radius reduce stress on driveline Mark
I agree with Mark, you want tyres on the front that are more worn than those on the back to keep the rolling radius similar once the chains are installed on the front tyres. FYI, the latest recommendations on tyre size are a difference of no more than 3% in rolling radius between any two tyres on the same axle, and no more than 4% difference in rolling radius between the largest and the smallest tyre on the machine.
Chains on all 4 corners is still the best. It will also stop the rearend slipping sideways when pushing on ice and trying to turn.
Wallowed around in the mud and snow and got the chains on today. Worst I have ever sworn putting chains on. Two come a longs a pry bar and a big hammer to get the miserable things done up. Tires on machine were all pretty close to being the same size. With the gooey slop I am working in the extra diameter of the chains shouldn't be a problem, I will drop them before I start loading out gravel again. Will see how it goes in the morning. A set on each wheel would be ideal but the dang things aren't cheap.