Do most excavating or demolishing companies use subcontractor trucking companies to haul there stuff ? I'm in nj
Welcome to the Forums Fireman451 and Merry Christmas! It will vary considerably from firm to firm and region to region but I'll give you my $.02. I hire all my trucking out from dumps to roll-offs for dirt moving to demo debris. The jobs I do vary in how many trucks are needed at a given time to keep the job on schedule. I can't afford to have that kind of rolling stock sitting idle for only when I need it, it's cheaper to hire them out. Hire out my low bedding too. Had an old timer tell me once - "Do what you do best and hire out the rest". There are endless situations and philosophies on this subject, you gotta pick the right one that fits your business model.
We have one tri-axel that we keep running for our use. If we need any more the that we hire out. Seems like every one around here has at least one dump but to keep multiple truck running takes a big jump in production.
I think that you almost have to have a least one truck so you are not slave to subs. because the will leave you hanging unless you have enough to keep them busy every day.