Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sudden crank no start – 2018 Liebherr 716 dozer

slmobile ยท 2024-10-09 12:34

The dozer has worked great the last few months but yesterday it shut itself down during the operation and it won't start again. The engine is cranking at 250 RPM, there are no errors on the screen but it won't start. I think I got a glimpse of a "fuel line pressure" error before it died but I cannot see it anymore and I'm not 100% sure which line it was talking about, high or low pressure. I was running low on fuel (well in the red) and about to be done for the day as the low fuel light was on. It stopped quickly, no spatter. I was on a down slope pushing dirt. I assumed it was just too low in the tank and it starved. I then added 20 gal to the tank but the crank-no-start did not get resolved. There is no smoke coming out of the exhaust on crank, although it's a DEF unit so smoke wasn't really its thing. I replaced all filters about 100 hours ago, I clean the air filter daily before work, and a new OEM engine harness was put in weeks ago to resolve sporadic sensor errors. The dozer has run smoothly for the past many weeks since then, always generating full power and starting briskly. Here is a video of my cranking this morning where I opened the after-fine-filter plug to see if fuel was coming out. I think this excludes the mechanical pump, fuel tank pick-up and filters along the way, agree? What's my next step to diagnose without a diagnostic tool, unless there is one bultin the display and there is a way for me to access it. The screen says "0 messages". https://photos.app.goo.gl/YC2jfZD8AmsryyrW9

Replies7
  1. #1strive2024-10-09 14:34

    Mm I'm still learning but I think open transmission filters if they go any dirt

  2. #2Simon C2024-10-09 22:44

    Your engine might be air locked and if it is, will not start until properly bled at proper location. Have seen it on many electronic engines. Need to get a proper bleeding proceedure from operators manual or shop manual and start there.

  3. #3Cliffy2024-10-10 00:42

    As a unwritten rule, i replace fuel filters if a machine in run out. Crap that settles to the bottom of tank below suction gets sucked up. Is there any water, crud or algae in the water separator bowl? I would be replacing the fuel filters and blowing lines back first.

  4. #4Simon C2024-10-10 09:38

    What Cliffy said is very good to check out and clean up. Could have dirt in a line also as posted. Do all the simple stuff first before throwing money at it. Simon C

  5. #5Mike_272024-10-11 04:23

    Plug fell off the stop solenoid?

  6. #6slmobile2024-10-15 09:56

    I did this very thing and resolved the problem right away.

  7. #7slmobile2024-10-15 09:57

    That was the problem, cleaned the filters, blew the fuel line, started right away.