Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Suggestions: deere 450-550 or cat??

Jasonhanson ยท 2013-02-18 12:55

I'm looking to buy a deere or cat dozer.. I want a machine that weighs less than 20,000lbs. I would use it for road building, bush clearing and levelling. I'm looking for info and experiences with the different machines (pros & cons). I'm on a budget of 30,000$ for a good used machine. What would you look for and buy?

Replies6
  1. #1Dickjr.2013-02-18 14:30

    For that money which is enough I'd look at a Case 850 G or H , or a Dressta TD9 . A Deere 650 would be in the 20,000lbs range as well as a D5C , G Cat. Any of these are good dependable machines as long as they have been cared for. What dealer do you have close by for small parts etc , that still wouldn't be a deal breaker with shipping as fast as it is these days.

  2. #2Dickjr.2013-02-18 14:51

    For that money which is enough I'd look at a Case 850 G or H , or a Dressta TD9 . A Deere 650 would be in the 20,000lbs range as well as a D5C , G Cat. Any of these are good dependable machines as long as they have been cared for. What dealer do you have close by for small parts etc , that still wouldn't be a deal breaker with shipping as fast as it is these days.

  3. #3Jasonhanson2013-02-18 19:10

    Thanks ****, I will look into those machines. I wasn't sure if a 650 was too big or not. Where I live there is all the major brand dealers and parts, so I'm just trying to make the right buy the first time.. Jason

  4. #4dirtmonkey2013-02-18 19:49

    :my2cAny of the machines stated above will serve you well. My personal preference is the d5G or K. ( You wont find a K for that money yet ) Second to that would be a Komatsu D39. John Deere 550 / 650 would be second but every one we ran had exposed hyd.hoses between the blade and radiator. It would never fail while clearing trees , something would always fall between the blade and snag a hose. While we never lost a hose , I was always nervous ( annoyed ) when clearing brush. I've ran / owned / rented all of the above and would recommend any of those. If I remember correctly ,the older komatsu 39's were Dressers. Good machines. Good luck!

  5. #5Jasonhanson2013-02-19 16:16

    Thanks dirtmonkey, The deere hyd-lines is good info, never really thought about that. Jason

  6. #6dirtmonkey2013-02-19 18:47

    That's just my experience. Hose placement may have changed by , I don't know. Others may may a solution to that. Don't let that be a deal buster. :beerchug