I noticed when greasing the old (new to me) D6C I just purchased, the outer spocket bearing on the RH side would not take grease, so pulled off the the outer flanged cap & found inside a nut retainer plate, nut & the end of the threaded shaft & all old grease in there was dry & hard, an indication that it had not been taking grease for some time. I took the grease fitting out & worked around in there for a while with a small screwdriver to clear the opening beyond the zerk, but that does not do it. Any idea how to go about fixing that & just how much can be done, leaving the track intact? From what I could see of the visable end of the shaft threads, it looked like the shaft was stationary the way the dried grease was caked in there & no pattern from turning? Does anyone know what approach to use to go about cleaning things in there, checking the bearing etc. (I am assuming there is a bearing not far beyond the nut) & clearing the grease path in there? Thanks a lot, Metalman
It has dried grease and dirt around the bearing. It is nice to be able to grease it but can wait untill the track frame needs to come off. The sprocket hub bearing is inside the outer holder, held on by the nut you see. Later Bob
I wonder if your D6C has the same setup as my 955 loader? The fitting on mine only greases between the outer bearing hub and the hub holder mounted to the track frame. I couldn't find the answer here when I asked but it looks like my outer bearing gets lubed from a little bit of final drive oil that finds its way into the bearing housing where you are seeing the big nut.
The final drive hub that turns the sprocket has a tapered roller bearing on each end that run in the final drive oil. The outer holder that is used to adjust the hub bearing preload should hold the oil in. The track frame mount has a grease fitting but is held in one position so needs no lubrication with fixed track frames. The big nut forces the holder onto the taper of the dead shaft. The shims behind the heavy washer are used to align the rear of the track with the sprocket. The front of the frames are alligned with shims between the hard bar and the frames. Later Bob
A wealth of information as always Bob. So, does the OP's D6C outer bearing (with big nut) receive its lubrication from the plugged grease fitting or final drive oil?
The outer clamp of the track frame attaches to the Grease Lubed bearing on the outer holder, the diagonal brace has two replacable hard bearing shells that clamp around the inner end of the deadshaft and are grease lubed aswell. The equalizer bar sits on a pad in frame dry. Many track machines have shims on the end of the dead shaft for allignment of the sprocket and frame. Later Bob