Hi All, I have a 2800kg Sumitomo Excavator LS1000J. I dont know the year of manufacture, but it is quite an old machine. I have problem with one of the final drive. Last week, one of the final drive gave out loud noise when in operation. I check the final drive oil, nothing was in there. So I filled the final drive with gear oil. The noise did not go away. Yesterday, as i tried to move the machine, the track just went sideway and the final drive hub along with the sprocket just parted open from the hub, exposing the planetary gears etc with balls and rollers all over the floor. I dont have much experience on this thing but I am fairly good with tools and mechanical stuff. So I planned to rebuilt it and fit it back on by myself. I have surf through many posts and pictures in this forum and nothing look like what I have. Mine is a Hy Dash type. The planetary gears and the sun gear are all ok, no worn parts. But the inside cone-bearings that hold the sun gear and the planetary gears seem to have a lot of play. It seem to me that the case splitted open from the hub was due the the worn inside and outside circumference bearings (quite large diameter bearings), I think. I will post some pics on the next post (I hope I can manage to do that, not so good with computer and things) Can anyone shed some light of how this system operates (it has 2 wavy rings with roller bearings on the outside that goes up and down, meaning when the left wavy goes up, the right one goes down, and vice-versa, NOT rotating as I thought). Does anyone in here have the schematic diagram or any diagram of this type Hy Dash final drive assembly? If you do, can you please post it in here so that I can assemble the things back on. Thanks so much guys. Zul Malaysia
Hi again, I have problem posting pictures in here. Any advice? Zul Malaysia
The planetary minus the outer hub.
The hub with the sprocket.
Sumitomo LS-1000J
The two wavy gear (?) I was telling you about. One goes up, the other goes down. I dont know what they are called.
The excavator without one track
The inside wavy broken in 2 places...
Zul, That's a sorry situation. Don't even try to 'repair' that final drive, it is scrap metal - it would cost more than your machine is worth. You need to find another final drive to fit to it. Some advise though a little late - "preventative maintenance! " those final drive oils should be checked every 250 hrs - on small machines I recommend changing oil every 250hrs..........
Alrman, thanks for the reply. I bought the machine about a year ago. The mistake I did was not checking the gear oil in the final drive. I checked all other oil. I did not use it a lot, just work around the house, very little use. The thing maybe has been going on like that with the previous owner. It is a grey import from Japan. So finding parts/used item maybe a bit hard. But I will try and do what I can since the machine is good on all other things. In Malaysia, even very old machines are still in use considering the high price of heavy machines. I checked the operation of the FD in that condition and the planetary gears rotate without problem. The wavy gears (or whatever they are called) going up and down, seem like they are on accentric shaft or something. My questions: a) How do I find the model/type of my Hy Dash Final Drive? Does it say/stamp anywhere on the Final Drive body? b) What other model machine use the same Final Drive? c) Anyone with diagram of this Hy Dash unit, or something similar? d) How does it works? What the wavy gears do? Please, anyone conversant/familiar with FD unit. Thanks so much
I've had a similar thing happen to a Sumitomo SH145-U the only way its to find another final drive, as to how it works its been awhile but i think the "wavey" gears on the inner hub are surrounded by cylinderical roller bearings and theres also a "wavey" machining in the outside hub which act as a bearing when assembled.. its a pretty strange setup i remember thinking when i stripped one We used to use Castrol EPX80W/90 in these final drives but due to the bearing design (like a tryied to descripe) its very harsh on the oil and it used to break down causing failures in extreme cases like yours, we went over to Castrol GOJ90 which handled them alot better
Thanks rare ss for the reply. Just wonder whether the Sumitomo SH145-U uses similar final drive? What is the weight of that machine? Any pictures of the FD? Thanks again. Zul Malaysia
Hello again, I think I have some light into how this thing works. It is called RV / Camshaft / Engaging Pin system. I found this info in the final drive manufacturer/reman website. Zul Malaysia
Zul69 is time for you to get a new machine less problem work faster try Hyundai excavator
SH145 was a 14.5 ton machine which looks abit bigger than your unit is yours about a 10 ton?
Rare ss, My machine is only about 2.6-2.8 tons (2600kg - 2800kg). Quite small. Zul Malaysia
Hi zul69, I had this problem on a Sumitomo SH120 that I drive, when I started work for the guy it was making noises so checked the oil and there was only mud in there, I pulled it apart and priced up new seals and bearings (thought I could fix it up on the cheap since it doesn't do a lot of work) But found they cost $4000 NZD and a rebuilt exchange unit was $8000 NZD with every thing replaced and some warranty. You should check the other side as well for dirt in the oil as it's probably done the same amount of work and could be cheaper to rebuild it before it breaks. Also if you're looking at getting a second hand one, be careful you don't end up paying good money for something that may not be much better than what you've got.
Hello All, Unscrew the big three bolts and take the wavey gears apart and one of them is broken in 3 places. I think the real reason for the breakdown was lack or no oil in the case since all the bearings are pretty worn too. Surprisingly, this system looks simple and has very few parts in it. I wished I could get the new internal parts for it. Having look into the thing in the last 2 days, I dont think fixing them back is a real problem (that is if I can get the parts). The bearings are pretty standard, that I can get from bearings supplier like NTN or SKF. Bearings like 32004 is not a problem. It has 2 big diameter outside and inside bearings, about 8 inches in diameter. I think the big problem would be the wavey gear thingy. It looks like cast iron to me. Any opinion/fact on that? Looking at the shape of the wavey, I think I can have that machined using CNC at work. What type of metal that would stand the pressure? Tool Steel? 6061? Anyone expert in metal/materials? Sorry, I forgot to bring along my camera on my last dismantling job. I will post pictures of the said item once I have them taken. One more question: The inside and outside wavey gears must be synchronised so that one 'goes up', one 'goes down'. Any input on that anyone? Thanks so much. Zul Malaysia
HSV127, Thanks for the sound advice. Will do that on all machines (lol) from now on. Zul Malaysia
Hello Zul. I am from a company in based in New Zealand who specialise in the repair of these Hydash finaldrives. Travel Motors Direct. Sorry to say but yours is in a sad state and if parts like the RV Assembly were still available the cost of repair would be so close to the cost of new that I'm sure you would see the best use of your money is to by a new one. Anything second hand that you may find may be worth buying but with the intention of rebuilding immediately as most of this model Hydash have clocked up many hours by now and are ready to fall to the same fate.My advice is a replacement hydash unit that fits into the exisiting bolt pattern and sprocket configuration. Also, change the oil int he other track motor and keep an eye on what comes out every 250 hours, the quicker you notice something the more chance there is to save it.
Thanks for the advice Hydash NZ, What type final drive that will fit onto that said machine? Any clue? Thanks again Zul Malaysia
Another Hydash drive that will fit in the hole. We have options on rebuilt or new, may be better to contact me through our website and I can explain your options a bit better
Hello Hydash NZ, How do I get in touch with you. Please let me know. Thanks so much Zul Malaysia
[email protected]
Best to scrap it, it's beyond repair. Definitely contact Hydash NZ, Jeremy will be able to help you.