Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Superintendents, Owners, and operators.

YoungOne ยท 2009-07-28 05:13

For those of you who dont remember me. I have been in iraq for almost a year now. And i will be returning within a few months. I need your help. I will be 21 year old Army engineer when I get home. With construction school on equipment ( civilian ) Military construction school. And hours in the seat. I started off when i was 15 pouring concrete for a small company. I then moved up to doing some ditching with an old backhoe. I worked for a three years after school, and all summer. Until I graduated Highschool. I joined the army when I was 17 and have been a soldier for three years now. When I return I will be looking for work in the construction field. In the ditch, pouring concrete, In an operators seat. Anything I can do to help out the company. And make a living for myself. I will break my back for 80 hours a week with a shovel, Or I can sit in a seat. I will work as many hours as I can get. And work hard to do the best work all the time I can possibly do. I am willing to move to get a job, east coast preferrably, or even out as far as alabama or texas. I am willing to work my way up, from working a shovel. to being in an operators seat. i have spent over 1000 hours in a excavator, bulldozer, scraper, roller. Backhoe. I have spent approximately 300 hours in a grader. I have did alot of subgrade work, and one whole final grade job with the grader. I have spent hours maintaining and working on equipment, helping grease, lube, filters, and I have helped change one set of D9 dozer tracks. What I dont know about maintenance I am willing to put in the time to learn. I am looking for the oppurtunity to learn, in the heat, in the cold. I am willing to do anything. If you have advice or can help point me to someone that might have a position available after my tour. Then post here or PM me. It's good to be back, and i appreciate all the help. -Michael-

Replies16
  1. #1Finish Blademan2009-07-28 06:09

    First I want to say,thank you for what you`re doing. With your background you shouldn`t have a problem finding a company to hire you and teach you the civilian way to run equiment .At the moment I am not hiring as our workload has leveled off to the point I cant. Your status as a veteran will help you.Trust me, the older folks that own companies understand that you have given much to wear that uniform,especially the ones who are veterans themselves. When I hire someone from an application I always look to see on it if they have prior military service and were honorably discharged.. I am a Gulf War Vet and OIF Vet,a scout in the Gulf war and infantry in OIF. Another thing,use the VA benefit system,as a combat vet it is there for you... Its too early to say welcome home yet but my thoughts are there for ya.Stay safe till ya get out of that hell hole and get on back home as soon as ya can. Someone will have a job for ya.. Gene

  2. #2stock2009-07-28 13:26

    Can't be of much help as I am from the wrong side of the puddle but let me wish you well with your new career when you get state side and keep us updated on your exploits .

  3. #3dozerdave2009-07-28 18:11

    Hi YoungOne, You sound like an outstanding example of America's Best. Thank you for your service.

  4. #4D5G2009-07-29 21:17

    YoungOne, Thank you for your service and sacrifice:usa:usa Good luck in the job search.

  5. #5AtlasRob2009-08-01 09:52

    Young One, YES, I do remember you and its very good to hear from you. I am real pleased that you managed to get that seat time that you so craved. I am sorry I cant help you as I like Stock am from the wrong side of the puddle but as stated by others your service, experience and willingness to learn will stand you in good stead when you finally get home. Stay safe. :thumbsup

  6. #6YoungOne2009-08-07 06:38

    Thanks everyone for your comments. I am still searching and willing to do anything when I get home!! Your welcome for my service, it's what I love to do. And it has it's up and downs but I wouldnt trade it for anything. -Michael-

  7. #7Wolf2009-08-08 17:33

    When do you come home, Michael. And where will you be in Virginia?

  8. #8YoungOne2009-08-08 19:17

    I live in a small town in central virginia. But willing to move. The town is called Charlotte Court House, 23923 played a big role in the civil war. I will be home in october, ( I cannot post exact dates, but definately october. )

  9. #9Wolf2009-08-09 01:15

    Is that near Harrisonburg? Roanoke? What was Charlotte Court House's role in the Civil War? Big history buff here.

  10. #10Hendrik2009-08-09 05:30

    Keep your head down and don't do anything stupid, like join up for a tour in Afghanistan, you've done your bit now it is time to build a life for yourself and not some joker on wallstreet............. Sorry about the politics folks:notworthy Anyway I am sure a decent construction company will give the flick to some lamer to make room for you

  11. #11YoungOne2009-08-09 06:56

    Thanks hendrk... I have considered jumping for a tour in afghanistan. Depends on how bad things are at home, when I get there. Have to be able to pay the bills... Decent... small... big. I just want a chance to work hard, LEARN, and prove myself... over time. -Michael-

  12. #12Wolf2009-08-09 07:26

    Afghanistan might be fun for a while. It's gotta be rough out there though, don't you think. Sounds like a kill or get killed attitude. Is that the feeling you get about it? How do you feel about that? Are you prepared? Are you man enough? Brave men and women serving our country out there. We are all proud of you.

  13. #13YoungOne2009-08-10 07:34

    Im prepared, and man enough. I would rather run equipment at home though. rather than volunteering for a deployment because I cannot find a job. I am ready any second, of any day to get called up for duty overseas. It's surely a different war there than im fighting here, I havent been there yet. So I cannot elaborate. Thanks.

  14. #14YoungOne2009-08-21 07:47

    Bump Another week closer to being home. Willing to do anything. Concrete, laborwork, ditchwork. Willing to LEARN. travel and work long hours. Only wish to be home TWO-THREE days a month. for my Military weekends. Michael

  15. #15Bully2009-08-27 12:00

    Check out Helmets to Hardhats....It is a great program for vets with construction/industrial MOS's. It will help you get into an apprenticeship and I know of a few fellas that have gone that route. Take advantage of it. Wish they had something like that for us Gulf War guys and older vets when we got back to the States. Good luck and stay safe, we are proud.:usa

  16. #16YoungOne2009-09-10 08:15

    Checked out helmets to hardhats, they havent replied back to me Bump-- Willing to travel 100% as long as I can drill on my weekends! I have no problem transferring states to in which I am in the guard in! Willing to start immediately after home. Home in early october!