Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Surprise find behind dash of 580SM!!!

alrman · 2009-10-28 17:17

Pulled dash on this backhoe yesterday & got a bit of a fright !! It's a carpet snake - python family - It will bite but not poisonous - didn't help my heart rate though!

Replies55
  1. #1pwrstroke6john2009-10-28 17:59

    thats a good size snake, how did you end up getting him out?

  2. #2cps2009-10-28 18:01

    Glad we dont have any snakes here in Ireland!

  3. #3CM19952009-10-28 18:02

    OMG! I would need a change of undershorts after that.

  4. #4busdrivernine2009-10-28 18:13

    Glad it was you if it had been me they would have said what heart beat

  5. #5alrman2009-10-28 18:14

    We reckon it would be about 4or5 feet long. The operator LIKES snakes & didn't want to pull it out as it would have hurt the snake & probably damaged some wiring - so we put the dash back in & HE WORKED THE REST OF THE DAY WITH IT THERE! He figured if he left the dash out & windows open overnight it would just crawl out when it gets hungry enough -

  6. #6BigIron252009-10-28 18:44

    nice, just trying to do some routine work and theres a snake chilling behind your dash. i just love it when that happens....hahaha and the thing that really gets me is the op left it in the dash and went to work for the day. hahahaha

  7. #7qball2009-10-28 21:10

    No. Effing. Way!

  8. #8bill onthehill2009-10-29 07:28

    I hate when that happens! Don't care much for snakes and I sure am not gonna share the cab with one. Would have used something to"irritate" him into leaving!

  9. #9kthompson2009-10-29 08:02

    I have never used it on snakes but have large lizard and had friend to tell me based upon his military experience with cases of beer it will work. CO2 fire extinguisher will cool or even freeze them to point they can at best move very slowly it not freeze them to death. As a cold blood creature it will lower their body temp very quickly. I have a now ex logger friend and he said years back snakes will flee from chain saw high pitch noise.

  10. #10landrvrnut222009-10-29 10:56

    Talk about being the only operator of a piece of iron. That would do it for me.

  11. #11bobcatmechanic2009-10-29 18:51

    a guy i worked with found a rabbit in a bobcat once crawled through the clean out holes in the bottom wheeled machine small holes good sized rabbit chewed up all sorts of wiring

  12. #12DigDug2009-10-29 19:10

    WOW , I would have crapped my skidwear right there ! I'm darn glad we have no snakes here.

  13. #13alrman2009-10-29 20:25

    Update I was curious & called operator Found snake on Wednesday - Left dash off & windows open Wed night - Thurs morning STILL THERE ! - While operating during the day, snake decides to have a look around cab - snake wrangler operator, grabs it BY HAND & bags it up. TAKES IT HOME & puts it in his shed which has a rat problem - says it'll sort a few vermin out there for a while - then he'll take it out to the bush & let it go...........must be a Steve Irwin wannabe!

  14. #14willie592009-10-29 22:42

    That's funny! Snake wrangler operator. Well, that is a unique skill he can put on a job resume.

  15. #15digger242j2009-10-30 03:31

    I was driving my dumptruck up the road one day, and happened to glance down, to see about the middle six inches of a snake hanging down from the wires beneath the dash. Now, only seeing the middle six inches meant I really had no idea how much more there was at either end. It wasn't really a good spot to pull over, so I gave it some thought, as we were cruising along--The truck was kept in a yard in a rural area, and I'd picked it up the day before, and made two round trips from the job to the yard, before taking it home with me for the night, which was not in a rural area, therefore, he must've been in there at least a whole day and night, and another half day, and about 75 miles of driving already. I figured that if he'd been happy that long, he wasn't likely to be too upset by the balance of the trip back to the job, so I just left him alone. Once I got back to the job, we started poking at him to try and get him out. He retreated even further under the dash. He got all the way up on top of the glove box, so I emptied it, and removed it from the dashboard. He started going the other way, and once I could see his head beneath the dash, I grabbed him by the tail, through the door of the glove box. Eventually, I'm standing there at the pasenger door, with his tail, coming out of the glove box, in my hand, while his head is all the way out the driver's door. I let him go, and he slithered out onto the ground. He turned out to be about a five foot long black rat snake, which are common here, and pretty even-tempered. The guy working with me put him in a five gallon bucket, and took him home, to help with rodent control in his back yard...

  16. #16nedly052009-10-30 05:52

    I crapped my skidwear just seeing the pic . Glad theres no snakes here either!!

  17. #17Phil2009-10-30 07:42

    I've looked at those pictures twice now and my nerves are already shot. I don't know how you guys do it. Every step in the bush would make me nervous, and then there are the crocs to finish off what the snake leaves behind. Phil

  18. #18BIG D2009-10-30 13:39

    I have heard this is a major problem on dozers that work in the hotter climates. THE BIG D

  19. #19willie592009-10-30 20:57

    Well now, that would make your eyes pop out like a stomped on bullfrog! I was doing a drilling job in Cincinnati in the mid 90's, rented a house from the guy I hired on as a helper, the house was cheaper than a motel room. About 10:30 one night while watching the tube, I saw something out of the corner of my eye move in the dining room. Looked that way, and it was a 4 ft rat snake slithering into the kitchen. I jumped up in pursuit, but he slid behind the fridge before I could catch him, wadded himself up pretty good in there. Hmmm, even though they ain't poisonous...I ain't going to sleep with a snake in the house! Rigged up a noose with a piece of 1/2" pipe and some flexible electrical wire and bagged him. Next morning when helper showed up for work, I presented the varmit and said "look what was going through your house last night!". He looked at it and said "If I knew you were going to have pets I would have charged you more rent!" Can't win with landlords. :Banghead

  20. #20carogator2009-10-30 21:21

    Hey ATCOEQUIP, let's team up and go catch snakes. You catch and i'll watch. LOL

  21. #21willie592009-10-30 22:03

    Unh Uh...Me no like snakes. Me shore no like snakes slithering through house before bedtime.

  22. #22alrman2009-10-30 22:43

    here's a couple of photos my brother in law sent me . He used to live in The Northern Teritory, (croc capitol of Australia), he has a lot of mates there & someone sent him some photos recently. GRAPHIC CONTENT in background of 2nd photo - be warned Link to the second picture. (I received a PM (not from Q, but another member), suggesting that the second picture might be a little too much, so I've converted it to just a link. This way, only those who make a concious choice to look at it will see it. For the curious, the "GRAPHIC CONTENT" referred to is his innards. If you're squeamish, you might not want to look. Thanks, Alrman, for providing the warning, but by the time anybody could read it, the picture was already there in front of them. This should work better. Digger242j )

  23. #23qball2009-10-30 23:22

    well, i guess eating pizza and trolling hef are not a great mix.

  24. #24Phil2009-11-01 06:07

    I couldn't get the second link to work, maybe just as well. The topic of wildlife dangers that operators encounter while working is a good one. I'm not sure which would be worse, having a poisonous snake slither over you while you lie there paralyzed, or having a croc drag you to the nearest waterhole to drown you. My dad had a buggie(parakeet) land on a running dozer once, he took it home and we kept it for years. I sold a dozer to an explorer once, who had it driven from Resolute to Ellesmere Island across the ice. Apparently the polars bears hounded them and were the biggest problem they had. Phil

  25. #25joispoi2009-11-01 07:23

    Reminds me of the prank where you put a rubber snake on the drivers' seat and tie it to the door with fishing line.

  26. #26willie592009-11-01 11:38

    Man, that's mean. I'd say when the operator jumps off the track he looks like a helicopter crashing! :bouncegri

  27. #27Wolf2009-11-01 11:40

    that's a beautful snake. wow./

  28. #28Tinkerer2009-11-01 12:22

    The link didn't work for me either. I got a webpage that says I don't have permission to access it.

  29. #29digger242j2009-11-01 12:49

    It should work now. I had located it in the moved/edited section, that only the staff can see. I hid it someplace else now.

  30. #30OneWelder2009-11-01 13:17

    when the landfills were closing years ago -I went to look at and bought a 955 that was being used as a compacter- when evaluating the machine I came face to face with several large and unhappy RATS living in belly pan- I bought the machine under the condition they get rid of all wildlife - They thought it was a big joke until one of them got bit certainly not as exciting as gators and snakes but enough to get me going

  31. #31surfer-joe2009-11-01 18:24

    The only good snake, is a very, very DEAD one, draped over a fence where everyone can see it. I've had too many encounters with poisonous and non-poisonous snakes over the years curled up in dozer seats, belly pans, floorboards, on top of transmissions and final drives, hiding under dozer tracks, excavator buckets and scraper cutting edges. They are a particular bother first thing in the morning when it's still dark and the mechanics and oilers are pre-checking and starting a large spread of iron. They start slithering all over the place to get away from the vibration. They like the heat from the machine on a cool or cold night you see. Snakes love to hide in parts trailers and tire storage areas in and around the tires. Then there are the ones that fall out of trees and brush onto the top of your hood or ROPS. I've even dug up balls of snakes several dozen or more and hauled them to a fill with TS14 and 651 scrapers. The boys in the fill sure don't like that I can assure you. I didn't much care for it myself. Nope, cross snakes off my list of items to save in the next flood of biblical proportions!

  32. #32Wolf2009-11-01 19:07

    How do you like to kill them? What's your preferred method?

  33. #33HLNTOIZ2009-11-01 19:26

    I rather have a snake (non poisonous of course) in my machine the Mice or Rats. They cause damage!

  34. #34Wolf2009-11-01 19:33

    I'd take a good looking babe over mice, rats or snakes any day.

  35. #35Bartlanz2009-11-02 20:11

    Wait... Your suposed to do that with a fake animal... Whoops... My buddies and I are known for driving along and finding live snakes... turtles... a racoon here and there... whatever... and puting them into cars... trucks... heavy equiptment of people who are deserving, Its always a good laugh... but you always need to make sure you wont dish what you wont eat...

  36. #36diggemup2009-11-02 22:20

    thats crazy no way i would of run that tractor the rest of the day with that in there

  37. #37alrman2011-05-18 17:33

    Here's another snake story. Road maintenance crew, near middle of nowhere, spot this beauty having a snack on the side of the road. This snake saw a goanna not much smaller than itself & thought "I'll have you". Apparently took 5 hours to swallow! ( the road crew must have watched the whole thing....... government workers.......)

  38. #38RocksnRoses2011-05-18 17:40

    That's unreal, alrman, I have never seen anything quite like that before, they are good photos. RnR.

  39. #39willie592011-05-18 19:58

    That's crazy!

  40. #40mitch5042011-05-19 01:58

    what kind of snake is it?

  41. #41alrman2011-05-19 02:33

    I had a feeling someone may ask...... I had to look it up. It's a black headed python (obviously) same family as the one in first post - non venomous

  42. #42mitch5042011-05-19 03:12

    Thanks

  43. #43OldandWorn2011-05-19 08:47

    This bad boy slithered out of my back hoe last summer.

  44. #44OldandWorn2011-05-19 08:55

    And the very next weekend its mate almost had me. I was reaching for an item behind the oil bottles and heard that gut wrenching rattling noise. I even looked before reaching but still didn't see it on top of the 2x4. My hand was 6" away from its face.

  45. #45funkinalive2011-05-22 19:44

    unbelievable...

  46. #46jfb582011-05-25 20:25

    What was the temperature that day? Maybe the snake liked the heat!

  47. #472stickbill2011-05-25 20:41

    Bet you will be checking real close from now on.My dad and his friend used to check their dozers for Rattlers every morning.

  48. #48MrKomatsu2011-05-25 20:46

    yeah i hate when that happens...down here in Tx. we find them in the frickin belly pans.....

  49. #49whatwas2011-05-26 06:18

    Had a mouse come out of the blade control linkage area of a rental dozer and run up my bare arm........I think I hit my head on every hard corner in that cab jumping around. Felt like a fool after, sure sped up the heart rate for a minute.

  50. #502stickbill2011-05-26 21:32

    Operating an open cab dozer Snakes would be better than,Hornets,Bumble Bees,Wasps ETC.

  51. #51shopteacher 12011-05-29 18:47

    Hey Old and Worn, I used to spend summers in Venango County helping my grandfather pump oil. We had to check the pump houses carefully! One time there was a rattle snake stretched out on the top of the belt between two fly wheels. When we start the engine and engaged the clutch that snake came flying through the air at my grandfather. He very matter-of-factly put his arm up, knocked it to the ground, step on the head, and grabbed it behind the neck, and took it outside to release. I asked him why he did not kill it, and he replied "Having him by the neck, I had the upper hand - no need to kill him" I have remembered that to this day!

  52. #52Chasrochon2011-06-02 18:58

    Did anyone check to see if the snake was a good operator??

  53. #53alrman2013-01-11 00:17

    Snake on a plane! - http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Odd...PSTORY_Snake_checks_into_Qantas_flight_110113

  54. #54JGS Parts2013-01-11 08:17

    Bloody hell only in aus mate i tell ya, but hey i bet he wouldn't be trying that with a old king brown snake or a tiger. but honestly i think its better to find it in the dozer then the out house chasing frogs.

  55. #55OzDozer2013-01-11 08:59

    Here's a link to a video of the snake on the Qantas 'plane. It was a 3m (10') scrub python and it apparently climbed into a gap in the wing adjacent to the engine nacelle overnight. The snake didn't survive the trip from Cairns to Port Moresby (PNG) at around 400kmh, and temperatures down to -12°C. He also got beat up pretty badly, by the looks of it. [video=youtube;Wixsy8jWV6E]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wixsy8jWV6E[/video]