Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

surprise oil shower {Deutz Dx-6.05 rebuild}

towbar · 2024-07-02 16:55

This isn't my first tractor but I've never built one before. Engine just installed, main wheels jacked up, front axle disconnected, transmission and range in neutral. I just wanted to start the engine for a few seconds to test clutch and things, a peace-of-mind exercise before pressing on with other chores. The transmission had been drained, there was likely some residual oil in it. I had run the engine several times before installing it, no issues. The hydraulic pump is disconnected from the system and has just a closed circuit to keep the pump wet during short tests. Missing hose and other oil ports are all just taped up . I started up and while initially busy checking engine oil pressure I realised that there was an oil fountain somewhere behind me. As I reached for and pulled the engine shutoff I turned around and saw oil squirting 3-4 feet high... ...from somewhere in front of the hydraulic reservoir cover (white in center}. Other than a mess already cleaned up, there is no major drama but I have to get to the bottom of this and make sure that it doesn't repeat on the next engine run. Is there an internal pump in the transmission that's emptying residual oil? What did I miss?

Replies11
  1. #1Tones2024-07-02 21:40

    There's a charge pump on the hydraulic pump which could be pumping residual oil. Those hydraulic pumps hate being run dry and only takes seconds for you to beg for forgiveness.

  2. #2towbar2024-07-03 05:10

    First time I ever hear of one, can't see anything in my parts book. What I found was for White tractors and it says that the charge pump circulates oil in the transmission AND primes the hydraulic pump. Does this mean the tranny and the hydraulics use the same oil? Looks like I'll have to connect the charge output to the hydraulic pump, or maybe connect every single hose as well. Thanks for the alert, I'll look for the hydraulic hoses and see if I can connect the big ones that complete the hydraulic pump circuit including it's intake, probably the source of the leak.

  3. #356wrench2024-07-03 08:26

    I never run anything without hooking all the hoses and steel lines up and full of the correct fluid. Thats just asking for trouble. That may be a Deutz transmission which is nothing like a Deutz Allis 91xx series other than the fact it has gears inside. The D-A 91xx seies used the White back end with the Deutz engine. If i remember correctly the Deutz Fahr DX had an open centre hyd system(gear pump)

  4. #4towbar2024-07-03 09:49

    I didn't think I'd have to but that's what I've been working today, cleaning and preparing all the connections, have about 4 hoses to replace too. Putting off furthrer engine runs a week or more is no big deal. You can see the hydraulic pump on the left edge of the first image I put up, next to the alternator, but I have absolutely no info on any in-tranny priming (charging) pump, and that's what had to be the power behind the surprise oil-spray.

  5. #5Tones2024-07-03 17:47

    My bad. I was looking at it on my phone and thought the barrel where the 3 point is was the barrel of a charge pump on a transmission pump. Apologies.

  6. #6towbar2024-07-04 06:50

    Hey, no problem, you were trying to help and it's appreciated I have never run into a piece of equipment for which there is absolutely no manual availble; not only that, but I can't even determine what manuals there once were or may have been (when the tractor was new)! Meanwhile what I have scraped up on the net would suggest that there is probably no 'charge pump' because either diferent oils or the same oil but in different quantities are involved. Instruction (Operator's) Manual (No dx-6.05 listed): p216 dx-6.10 Transmission w. fwd 44 litres mil-2104C Power lift w. aux tank (meaning hydraulics?) 38 litres mil-L-2104C Croon oi (dx-6.05 listed but no quantities): Croon Oil { https://www.kroon-oil.com/en/produc...-6-7-8/dx-605/53329/12820/#!/component:12820/ } transaxle (manual): Multifleet SHPD-15w-40 hydraulics system: croon HDX-20w-20 So I figure that with diferent quatities or different oils the reservoirs are different and separated and no 'charge-pump' is involved. Which leaves the question what was driving the oil spray {seeing the the hydraulic pump was not connected to the system}? The lift arms had been tied up to about the half-way point for many months to keep them out of the way, I allowed them to sag down just before the engine run lasting a few seconds. If they were driving oil out as their weight allowed the arms to sag down that would have happened right then and not only when the engine was started days later.

  7. #756wrench2024-07-04 11:12

    I suspect the hyd pump was turning and pushed enough air through the lines to force some oil out the first available opening at the trans. If you think the engine is quirky to work on, the Deutz transmission is a nightmare requiring a wall full of special Deutz service tools if its the same trans as the older DX90-DX130 tractors. I worked at a dealer and did a couple of warranty campaigns requiring the trans and diff housings to be stripped to the bare housings and reassembled. Deutz sent out a crate of gears for each tractor with no instructions other than to replace any similar gears in the trans with ones in the crate. Those two particular tractors were DX130A ‘s. The dealer service manuals left a lot to be desired but would be worth their weight in gold if you could find one. They were hard to get even if you were a dealer. In the early 80’s KHD(Deutz) was trying to break into the North American market but at that time tried to treat it like the Europeon market and had more than a few problems

  8. #8towbar2024-07-05 06:13

    It couldn't. THE hydraulic pump, the one driven by the cam in the front office, has an output pipe provisionally looped back into its inlet port (plus a vented standpipe to prevent over-pressure). This was all temporary, pending normal piping reconnections now in progress anyway in the wake of this novel and exotic experience. But while talking to local talent I discovered that I didn't invent such oil showers, that I wasn't even among the early ones to experience one, so that helps a little

  9. #956wrench2024-07-05 08:34

    One shop i worked at, we referred to it as OPOF(oil pissing on floor) or OPOG(oil pissing on ground)

  10. #10towbar2024-07-05 16:02

    I got some on my head but most of it went behind on the tranny and partial cabin floor and ground. Only about a pint but it managed to spread itself very generously, a real mess to clean up! Since my last post a kind soul in Germany has explained to me that there is in fact a gear pump in the manual tranny solely for lubrication so that explains what the cause was. To get to it you have to remove the entire hydraulics module/main-reservoir. If my Dx-6.05 had a hydraulic PTO and powermatic transmission that pump would also be what they call a lubrication and pressure care pump . I'm glad that now at least I know what the score is.

  11. #11towbar2024-07-24 20:40

    Got them refilled, only one minor leak and it's the same tranny port , I'll have to clean up that fitting and go with new washers (maybe on Friday, earlier picture from stripping process). Other than this the gear & hydraulics hose & pipe issues are cleared. Making headway, various cabin control tweakings currently active.