Hey guys new member here. I recently picked up a 2016 SVL75-2 last month. My plan is in a few yrs retire and work for myself doing a little tractor work. Over all im very happy with the machine I got a smoking deal on it. However when back up I cant really see too well. I have a habit of getting out of the seat which has a safety feature that engages the parking brake and cuts the hydros. Its kinda annoying. So to reduce the chances of me running / backing over something I didnt intend to. I started looking on the internet. The first one I found was made by coleman Camera . For 700 bucks I figured its gonna hold up pretty well but I didnt wanna spend 700 bucks on a camera. Which leads me to amazon Camera for 45 bucks. Two day shipping it showed up and I went to work installing it. Where to mount it? My options were on the engine compartment door or on the top of the engine compartment. I took some painters tape and placed it at both locations. On the Engine compartment I couldn't see the tracks. So theres no reference for me when im backing up on ramps. Same thing with it mounted on the cab. But on the cab I could see these two big arms that are on both sides * the boom*. Right under the boom are my tracks. Welp i think i found my spot. ON the cab its sorta out of the way. its less likely to get bumped but Theres a risk of material hitting the camera. eh oh well. On the engine compartment Im more likely to back into something and hitting it. On the engine cab there were a few holes that were already drilled. Only one hole lined up with the bracket in the center of the cab. So I had to drill one hole. I cant remember what size drill bit i used. I also drilled a hole under the bracket for the camera wire. There a over hang on the top so I was able to run the wire underneath. You cant really see it. I took the left rear flood light off. behind the light theres a hole going into the cab. It was the perfect size to feed the wire through. I ran the wire down one of the post to the arm rest. I took the arm rest off and ran the wire to the front of the joystick. Below the joystick is a cigarette lighter that I use to power the LCD screen. Next part is trying to find a place to mount the LCD screen. I thought about putting it on the bottom of the cab but it would be exposed. Decided the best spot is in the top left corner. Its out of the way and sorta protected. The mount that cam with the camera was junk. I tired to modify it but it was made out of plastic. I purchased this mount. I was able to take the base apart. The end had a screw attached to the plastic mount. Added one nut and was able to secure it in the corner. Now thats done I added some conduit to protect the camera wire.
To finish my little project I had to purchase some conduit clamps . I messed up and got plastic ones... Yep i still used them. I had some metal ones laying around but I couldn't find them. To hold the clamps in place I used some small self tapping screws. Im pretty much done for now. I might pain the screw heads back so they dont stand out. For just over 50bucks I have a back up camera thats pretty functional. IF it breaks im out 50 bucks not 700. My only complaint is that I have to unplug the power cable in the cigarette lighter when im done using it. IF i leave it in even with it powered off it still draws power. I found this out when I went to start my machine and it took a little extra to get it to start. I figured it was my battery going bad. But then I thought maybe its still drawing power which it was. The camera stays one during operation. Gives me a little piece of mind. I have young kids. Ive explained to them that if im in my machine and how to get my attention and to stay away from the area im working in. My cab is soooo freaking loud I cant hear my self think with out some type of hearing protection.
Thanks for the info. Can you offer any specifics on the mount you purchased for the LCD screen?
I used a combination of this mount https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FLZJNMV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B099WT4KH3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I was able to use one to mount to the machine and the other to mount the screen.
Thank You!
Good info! I need to install a backup camera on my SVL-90.
DD- one more question. How did you connect the 2 wires for the camera? I understand one goes to ground, and the other to the front of the joystick? is that where you are getting the power supply? What specific wire/terminal did you splice to connect it on the front of the joystick?
I have a cigarette plug on the left side of the machine. The camera came with a Cigarette plug. Thats where Im drawing power from. I didnt want to wire it directly to a hot leg. The only problem ive found is if you leave the camera plugged in, even with it turned off, it still draws on the battery.
Understood and Thanks. But where did you connect the 2 wires that come out of the camera itself? One is a ground wire, the other is the positive wire. Did you splice it into the LCD display positive connection wire that plugs into the cigarette lighter?
The camera which mounts on the rear of the machine needs power supply and has 2 wires. The LCD has the cig adapter- got that down.