Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Track bushings

673moto · 2023-03-23 17:14

Any ideas on how to get this spherical bushing out of the track frame? It’s seized to the axle shaft and I can’t slide the frame out to even get at replacing the bushing. Other side was easy but this side won’t respond to heat/penetrant or leverage from the back.

Replies5
  1. #1Nige2023-03-23 17:37

    The photo may be playing tricks but it appears as though the centre part of the bearing may be cocked on the shaft. Shaft wear maybe.? The bottom seems to be further out than the top. Try knocking the inner part of the bearing inwards at the 6 o’clock position with a drift and see if that loosens it up.

  2. #2673moto2023-03-23 18:14

    I think the photo is playing tricks on you... the inner bushing is square to the shaft. The inner and outer bushing are not binding, they move freely in relation to each other. It’s just that inner bush that’s stuck to the shaft... once that’s free I can slide the track frame off the axle shaft and remove that outer bush the typical way. Edit: I’ve tried striking at 6 o’clock but no go.

  3. #3Acoals2023-03-23 18:20

    They are a bugger sometimes. I have used a bottle jack on the inside, between the frame of the machine and the track frame, as close to the bushing as possible. Also, heat the bushing as much as you can. Be careful, the inner and outer bushing are a very brittle steel, the kind that like to shatter and take eyes out. Get anything hot enough it will come apart eventually.

  4. #4Nige2023-03-23 18:25

    Gas axe……..

  5. #5John C.2023-03-24 11:17

    Spherical ball bushings are notorious for that. If there is any play between the shaft and the inner dimension of the bearing, they can turn enough to bite into the shaft. Brute force is the usual method as mentioned by Acoals. I've taken several out with a lance.