I'm writing to the forum because I'm having a persistent issue with a C7 engine in my Caterpillar 329DL excavator. The camshaft bearings have spun twice in the last two years, and I'm tired of constantly repairing the engine. My options for a replacement engine are limited in my country, so I'm considering an engine swap. I can find vehicle engines like the 3116, 3126B, or another C7 , but they are all from trucks. My main questions are: Could I adapt one of these truck engines to my excavator? How difficult would this be? Can a Kodiak truck engine (C7) be adapted to run the hydraulic pump on the 329DL? Any insight you can offer is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.
Yes Difficult Anything is possible with enough money. But, the camshaft isn’t really an issue with this particular engine. Maybe an occasional follower, sure. There is not enough significant difference between the camshaft design of any of the engines mentioned. That’s just a coincidence or something. Some failure analysis is in order. Have you talked to your PSSR about it? What’s the dealer say? You’ll experience even more problems with a 3116 or 3126B. The C7 is a decent engine.
Why not just go get a rebuilt proper c7 for the machine. If the cam bearings spun twice therea more to why
I would imagine his location has a lot to do with that option being a non-starter. Prohibitively expensive and/or unobtainable spare parts I would imagine.
Trying to retrofit an old truck engine into a 329DL sounds like a challenge, as well. In the Amazon Basin. A swing engine sounds like a great idea. I would get distracted, licking all the giant, hallucinogenic monkey frogs and tripping out. I’d never get the job done. We’ll have to send someone else, I’m afraid. Tyler D4c could get the job done.
Quite possable. If it was at the shop here and someone suggested the idea i think id just walk away and tell them to come see me once they found there sanity. But if time is of no end and theres no parts to be had id give it a go
If only the bearing is broken, replace the bearing. If you replace the engine, you also need to match the hydraulic pump power to see if it is synchronized. Different engines have different hydraulic pump buffers. Some use nylon discs, and some use buffer rubber. As far as I know, the E329D hydraulic pump uses a buffer nylon disc. I am a Chinese excavator parts dealer. You can consult me and hope I can help you.
Anything is possible. If you have a specific C7 engine from a truck in mind please can you post a Serial Number and an Arrangement Number for that engine.