Got a set of D8n tracks in good shape cheap at RB (maybe Nexus brand- no numbers on links, 8e-4457 on joiner) My 400 tracks wore right out. Same pitch (8.5") . Combo of D8 bushings slightly bigger and 400 sprocket worn some makes D8 chain fit fine on sprocket. Slightly thicker rails look like they will fit into the rollers ok. Problem is finding 5 links to extend from 44 to 49 link on each side. Anyone out there with a solution? New individual links don't seem too available . This is a quarry pig not a long walker and prefer to not spend alot on her. Thanks ,jb
That will certainly look different if you succeed and use the D8 grouser plates! Dunno if you do it there, but here we will try and catch a set of dozer chains before they get too bad and send them away to have the pins and bushes turned. Places that do this are set up with long benches, overhead cranes and presses and impact wrenches on springloaded "skyhooks" to take the hard work out of it. I'd be ringing around people like that to see if they have an old chain with 10 decent links in it for you. Then I'd be getting them to do the hard work pressing the pins out and in to get the extra links into your chains. Good luck!
One track is half on with the grouser plates looking quite nasty compared to the steet pads. No luck so far finding any decent used chain to add on. Currently looking at adding on with 10 repair links from aftermarket source maybe. Thanks for your comments. jb
Hah! I bet it looks nasty because it's not a small machine either! You just reminded me. So are you gonna get some more grousers or just leave evenly spaced gaps?
Check with track shops like stondad mentined,also scrapyards,coal mines etc.Cat d8 rails are pretty common.My local track supplyer would have all kinds of used d8 rail laying out back www.boydandsonsmachinery.com Sounds like an interesting project jb1,I have done some parts swapping on machines of different brands myself .I put new bottom rollers on my fiat dozer last year,ended up using new rollers for a cat d7g.After a little work at the machine shop and redrilling the track frames we were back in business.Good luck on your 400 jb1.
Will probably fill in the gaps with grousers I think. Seems like the track shops are not keeping too much old stuff lately with the price of scrap metal pretty high here right now ( $200 + per ton) plus they say most of the take off stuff has pretty much had it anyway. Can't say I've even seen a fiat dozer up here must be a little rare. Would give Boyd's a call if a little closer. thanks, jb
other option Here's another option. Anyone out there with a D8 l, n, r, t that wants a set of tracks complete - 80% remaining (have pics and measurements) I will trade for new set of berco rails to fit ex400-1 .