Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sweeper:

1693TA · 2024-02-14 14:52

Wondering if a broom is the correct tool to use. The state road crews last fall graveled the shoulders out front of my shop. Between the highway and my parking area is a grass lined drainage ditch I mow keeping it like a lawn. With the snows of recent, this fresh gravel is all in the ditch a couple of feet thanks to snow plow drivers. I want to rake, or sweep this gravel back up to where it was as don't want to break any windshields when mowing. Torn up grass will grow back so no problem there but wondering if a broom or rake is best?

Replies12
  1. #1KSSS2024-02-14 15:03

    Broom on skid steer if you have one is what I would use.

  2. #21693TA2024-02-14 15:06

    Thank you. That is what I was considering to rent for the purpose. 1845C does not have hi flow but the hydraulics are strong.

  3. #3mowingman2024-02-14 15:59

    A broom would work best. I don't know if you can rent one locally, but Bobcat, I think, makes a broom that sweeps and catches the debris. If you could get one of those, you could sweep up a bunch, then take it up on the road and dump it, then repeat until done. I remember using one quite a few years ago to clean a parking lot before doing sealcoating. It worked well and did not throw debris all over the place.

  4. #4KSSS2024-02-14 18:13

    you don't need high flow. the 1845C makes like 16 gpm which would be fine for that.

  5. #5IceHole2024-02-14 18:15

    Will rip the grass out for sure. A power broom weed eater type unit is best for lawns.

  6. #61693TA2024-02-14 18:27

    While I realize this doesn't look that bad from the photos, it really looks nicer when green and mowed: When the state mows the ditches all up and down both sides of the highway they skip my section as obviously maintained. I have to clean trash and debris before each mowing too. I won't care much about tearing the sod out as it can be readily replanted with my broadcast spreader. Thanks for the tips!

  7. #7spitzair2024-02-15 00:16

    A broom attachment on your skid steer will not only clean all the gravel up, it will also dethatch your lawn. I’ve been using my bobcat broom for this very purpose every spring, and the lawn loves it, or at least it seems to. My neighbour also has me do his at the same time. As long as you don’t put too much down pressure on the broom you won’t hurt the grass. Just make sure your lawn is reasonably dry when you do this! I’d send you a picture but I don’t have any handy and my lawn is buried in an unusually thin layer of snow just now…

  8. #8Bumpsteer2024-02-15 00:35

    Yup, broom. I have a sweepster rear mount for the tractor I use for the same purpose. I ain't raking 1/2 mile of gravel road frontage by hand.... Ed

  9. #91693TA2024-02-15 00:35

    Thanks. That is something the rest of the place could use for certain. I know that doesn't look like a lot of rock in those photos but it's all the way down into the center of the ditch and builds every year. When I mow with the rotary cutter, rocks really get picked up and pitched out for the first and second mowing. I usually watch for traffic so come to a stop when cars are closing. I mow about 600' on one side of the roadway, and about 800' on the other and it's all got a lot of gravel flung into the grass. If I can reclaim this basically it will be a win/win. Planning to clean up a bit as have two culverts that are needing attention in these ditches where driveways penetrate from the highway. Can't really alter them much as "grandfathered" in from the age so don't have to comply with modern updates. You can barely see the culverts in the first, and third photo but they are washed out badly so some nice rip rap stone to shore them up and serve as a base to widen the entrances back up will serve well.

  10. #101693TA2024-02-16 10:39

    Been looking around online this morning and going to check with the implement dealer to ascertain whether I should purchase a broom, or rent. I can visualize owning one quite easily as it could find use in several arena(s) for me.

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-02-17 04:27

    I think you could tilt the broom to control how much pressure it puts on the grass. They use a broom to clean all the gravel off the lawns left from snow removal. It doesn't bother the lawn if it's established.

  12. #12spitzair2024-02-17 23:07

    On my broom there’s actually a pivot in the horizontal plane so it floats along the surface with just the weight of the broom as down pressure until you tilt your quick attach forward a certain amount then it hits a stop and the pivot bottoms out and if you keep tilting forward you can put as much down pressure as your machine can muster…