Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Sweet 80

Welder Dave · 2023-09-09 21:45

That was the license plate anyway. It was inside the RB auction building and looks like it's on Iron Planet.

Replies16
  1. #1Truck Shop2023-09-09 21:58

    I've seen that truck before/up close. You would have see it pictures just don't cut it.

  2. #2Welder Dave2023-09-10 02:30

    I took the pic. just for you. It is a long truck. There was also a 1969 GT500.

  3. #3OzDozer2023-09-10 06:00

    I dunno - the paintwork prep looks a bit like it was done by the cleaners on their Friday midnight shift, coffee break! And I'm not sure if those suicide doors would pass registration inspection, in my neck of the woods! 1980 Kenworth W900 6x4 T/A Sleeper Truck Tractor Cat 3406E 6 Cylinder Diesel Engine, Air Conditioner, Cruise Control, Power Windows, Engine Brake, Eaton Fuller 15-Speed Manual Transmission, Differential Lock, 10600 lb Front Axle, 38000 lb Rears, Meritor SQHD Drive Axles, 3.70:1 Axle Ratio, 48600 lb GVWR, 36 in Flat Top Sleeper Cab, Aluminum... www.ironplanet.com.au

  4. #4Truck Shop2023-09-10 09:02

    Didn't have any defects when I saw it, this is where and the reason I quit that thread too many arm chair monday quarter backings.

  5. #5TCat2023-09-10 09:23

    Has RB started in person auctions again, or are they still doing the all on-line thing that they started back when Covid hit?

  6. #656wrench2023-09-10 10:12

    As far as I know, here they are still only doing virtual auctions or timed auctions online. Somebody correct me if i’m wrong. They probably make more money with online auctions than in-person auctions so maybe they will never go back?

  7. #7OzDozer2023-09-10 10:24

    Their website says they still do original style, on-site auctions - as well as online auctions - but it's been a long, long time since I've seen an RB on-site auction. The online format is a winner for all the auction houses, and there are very few onsite auctions here in Australia today, by any auction house. I think I could count on one hand the number of on-site auctions I've seen, since the pandemic ended. https://www.rbauction.com/selling/about-our-auctions

  8. #8Welder Dave2023-09-10 14:42

    They do both in person and online for major items. Stuff like attachments and misc. are by timed auction. You can bid at home or they have booths set up for the timed auctions on site so you can still bid if you're there in person. When watching the auction online it shows if the bidder is in person or online and where they're from. I saw a couple packers go to Mexico. Stuff goes all over world sometimes. It's amazing how much stuff they sell at the Nisku site. Just to walk around and look at everything could take a couple hours or more. Nisku is 1 of their 2 biggest sites in N. America, biggest in Canada. I can't remember if it's Orlando Florida or a site in Texas that's the other one. I generally like how they run their auctions but some other services are lacking. They close at 5pm on the day of the sales. They used to stay open later so buyers could pay and pick up smaller items. They are only open on the Sat. after the sale where they used to be open on Sunday as well. I think a lot of people would prefer picking stuff up on the weekend, especially smaller items. It can take a while to get loaded on Sat. or even to pay because so many people are there. It's not like they can't afford to pay employee's to work Sun. or 2 or 3 hours later after the sale. I also didn't like when they brought in the buyers fee's. Minimum $100 and then 10% up to $11,999. I was bidding on a narrow bucket. I didn't get it and it sold for $75. The buyer's premium was more than the bid price. If you bought 2 or 3 small things I think you'd have to pay $100 on all of them.

  9. #956wrench2023-09-11 11:06

    Well, Team Auctions charge a 15% internet bidders fee which i think is outrageous

  10. #10Welder Dave2023-09-11 12:22

    Wow, that's crazy. I never looked into it but I'm wondering if the small items at RB like tools have the minimum $100 buyers premium?? I can see people complaining if they don't but maybe the $100 is basically a loading fee because they have to use a loader or other equipment to load purchases and small stuff can be carried.

  11. #11cfherrman2023-09-11 12:49

    Copart and the like look close to $350 minimum in fees so I never bought from them. I like purple wave, 10% buyer premium and sales tax, so just add 20% to your bid and you are covered, easy site to find stuff too.

  12. #12OzDozer2023-09-12 09:00

    RB's $100 minimum fee is just an out-and-out a*** ream. It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't also add on their fees, on top of the $100! I bought two items off RB's recently, 2 big HD poly tubs about 2M x 1M x 1M, and a loadout hopper. 1 tub was in one lot and the 2nd lot was a tub and the hopper. No-one else bid on them, because they were so beaten up! The hopper was full of rust, and the poly tubs had the crap beaten out of them by deadbeat forklift operators. But I just wanted the big tubs for a couple of big acid baths, didn't really want the hopper. So my sole bid of $25 on each lot immediately became $200 knockdown price for the two lots - and by the time everything was added on, I was up for $253!! I can't see myself bidding on items as much as I did before at RB's, with their hungry attitude. To top it off, they won't even take credit cards any more! (unless there's a EFTPOS machine on site, I got told - and my local RB yard doesn't possess an EFTPOS machine!) This is the same company that has bought up at least a dozen auction houses since the late 1990's - including Mascus and IronPlanet - and was going to pay £775M for Euro Auctions in Europe, until the British Competition & Markets authority stepped in, and blocked the sale on monopoly grounds. So, undeterred, RB's just turn around and pay $7B for IAA!! They obviously want to own every major auction house, globally, so they have no competition.

  13. #13TCat2023-09-12 09:22

    Well one thing for sure a lack of competition is never a good thing.

  14. #14cfherrman2023-09-12 10:32

    All those fees gets deducted from the sale price so at some point people won't want to sell there anymore and there will be opportunity for someone to be a big gamer auction house.

  15. #15Welder Dave2023-09-12 13:24

    Now they want to get into selling used machines but more like a used equipment dealer than an auction. There are some other smaller auction companies but they are just as bad or worse regarding buyers fee's. RB is so big it would be hard for someone else to come along and knock them off their pedestal. It would be great if there was just a 5 % buyers premium. Originally when they added the buyers premium it was only for items under $2500. Now the 10% or $100 minimum is for under $12,000. Over that is lower but still ridiculous. What you bid should be what you pay with only the normal sales tax added.

  16. #16terex herder2023-09-13 07:17

    I like Big Iron better than Purple Wave. No buyers vig on Big Iron.