Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swing and blade

Ned1977 · 2024-10-23 23:09

Hello everyone, I a new to this forum , and I am coming with a question Do piston pumps outlast the gear pumps ? What is the life expectancy on gear pump vs piston pump? Any information would be appreciated.

Replies9
  1. #1Welder Dave2024-10-29 03:14

    Piston pumps can outlast gear pumps but proper filtration/oil cleanliness is absolutely imperative to longest life. You also want to use a quality oil of the right viscosity. What are you needing a pump for?

  2. #2Ned19772025-05-29 08:35

    First off I wanted to apologize for my really delayed answer. I need a pump for my swing option on the Excavator and they push blade. My gear pump Supplies oil dude to the swing motor which rotates the excavator and did a push blade and I have noticed Dad, when I first started Excavator and the push blade is a lot stronger and operates faster and that leads me to think that as soon as the Excavator /oil warms up when I work with at 20 minutes half hour That leads me to think that my gear pump might Have internal leak as the oil warms up and gets thinner any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated

  3. #3HarleyHappy2025-05-29 09:51

    Run a thicker oil until you are ready to rebuild or replace the pump?

  4. #4Ned19772025-05-29 10:05

    so if running a thicker oil helps , then that would be my problem , I am trying to troubleshoot it and be sure that my gear pump is my problem !

  5. #5Ned19772025-05-29 14:21

    If I run thicker oil and performs better , would it be accurate to say tha would be my gear pump bypassing internally ?

  6. #6Welder Dave2025-05-29 19:53

    First off what machine do you have and what oil are you currently using? You're too vague with what is wrong.

  7. #7Ned19772025-05-29 20:57

    Sorry I should’ve started with that information have yanmar vio-27-5 and the oil that I use is sinopec L-HM 46

  8. #8HarleyHappy2025-05-30 07:35

    Running a thicker oil works for a while and verifies that there is some internal bypass. Was not being snide but unless you are checking pressures, that the poor man’s way of running a machine that needs a pump or valve body overhaul.

  9. #9Ned19772025-05-30 08:06

    Ok appreciate that information!