This is my first post on the forum. I have been reading on here for some time now, and thanks to the posts in this forum I have my Case 580B moving again, had a bad shuttle pump, and the information here was most valuable and saved me a ton of time and money. I am in the process of rebuilding most of my cylinders on the backhoe now, and I am ready to remove the swing cylinders now, but I cant get the pins to budge from the swing tower. I have removed both upper and lower snap rings. The swing cylinder eye moves free on the swing cylinder pins too. Once I removed the snap rings I applied penetrating oil to the pins. I let it soak overnight and when I went to tap the pins downward the didnt move at all. I applied heat, lots of heat, and they moved down about an 1/8" and then stopped, as if I hit an unmoveable object. Next I applied heat again, and used a bottle jack underneath, to try and move the pins upward, this did nothing but raise the backhoe up in the air. I am at the point where I think I will have to cut off the bushing bosses and bushings, and pins, and weld all new ones on...any ideas before I resort to that? My upper and lower tower pins and busings are worn badly too, I am going to replace them. Thanks!
I also used a punch when trying to drive the pins so as to not mushroom the heads of the pins.
If the heat and jack didn't work, then when i worked for the Case dealer we would have to burn them out sometimes. Try to heat the pin red hot and try jack again. I always hated the swing cylinders,they always seemed to be a PITA, no matter when model even on M'series or any olde machines in my opinion.
Might be able to have local welder burn the pin out with a slice torch to burn a hole down the center of it
Heating the pin red hot is counter productive. Steel expands when it gets hot, so you are actually making the pin tighter. A better approach is to get the biggest heating barrel you can find and bore the heat into the bosses so as to heat them as quickly as possible while keeping the pin as cool as possible relatively speaking, then get the biggest flogging hammer you can find and hit the pin as hard as you can. At this point I would suggest that you make up a punch with a handle because few people, (myself included), will consent to hold a punch with a 16 pound hammer flying their way. Often you will only need to heat a strip down one side of the boss/es as this will usually expand the boss sufficiently to loosen the pin. If this fails, just oxy lance the pin out.
I will give this a try tonight, put on the heating tip and try it. I will also make up a punch with a handle on it too, thats a really good idea.