Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

New shuttle pump installed in 580B, and I have a question

mbolin05 ยท 2014-04-09 09:33

When I purchased my 580B it ran, but didnt move in either direction. From reading over the threads here I was able to check pressures and determine the shuttle pump was bad. I cleaned everything, flushed it and and installed new fluid along with a new pump, gaskets, o-rings, etc. It moves/drives great now. But, when I first start it up I have a lot of chatter/vibration/noise in the coolant lines for the shuttle, the lines running to filter housing and radiator. I replaced the fluid after about 30 minutes of run time, still chattered, I replaced it with a blend of trans fluid and ATF and it still chattered, but after it gets warmed from using it for about an hour or so, it goes away. Do you think this is just a because its a new pump? Why would the chatter stop after the fluid gets hot? Thanks!

Replies2
  1. #1sr-oz2014-04-11 06:28

    My 580 b loader does exactly the same thing. I did the clutch packs, seals and new aftermarket shuttle pump. Same deal drives A1 now and is a real handy old girl. We rebuilt it in the summertime over here in Oz and transmission was nice and quiet on startup. Didn't use it much for a few months, went to start it up one morning in winter and it cavitated/ squealed in those same metal lines you're referring to. I thought "what the frigg ??????" I've got the proper hytrans fluid in there but have learnt to let it sit and warm up for 4 or 5 mins before using it otherwise it sounds embarrassing! When warm the chatter disappears quickly and doesn't even do it at all when it's summertime. I think the chatter stops when it's hot because the oil is thinner and moves around the lines / filter more easily. We're probably not the only 2 that this has happened to I'd bet! Cheers.

  2. #2mbolin052014-04-11 08:13

    Thanks, Glad i am not the only one! Your right, it is kind of embarrassing! Maybe as I use it more it will stop, I only have about 2 hours on it after the rebuild.