Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swing Cylinder repacking question

RHuddleston ยท 2020-05-08 18:10

So repacking my swing cylinder and the gland internal seal was TRASHED. Pulled it out in little pieces new seal is an SKF made in USA 1K05-4 it has a lip on one end and a lot of research later I installed it hoping I made the right call on direction. I put the lip away from the wiper seal as shown in the picture? Please tell me I did ok?

Replies5
  1. #1AllDodge2020-05-08 19:11

    If I understand your term and its positioning, The lip always goes toward the pressure

  2. #2heymccall2020-05-08 19:26

    It's called a U Cup seal. The cup always fills from the oil side. Installed reverse will result in zero pressure holding, and quite a mess.

  3. #3RHuddleston2020-05-08 21:50

    Kind of an odd looking seal from what i'm used to. I installed it. It worked, no leaks, so i'm going with I got lucky

  4. #4mitch5042020-05-09 00:44

    Yep. U cup seal, very common in hydraulic cylinders. In your picture above, the open side with the skf on it goes toward the oil side. the pressure makes it open up and spread, forcing it against the cylinder wall.

  5. #5Swetz2020-05-09 06:49

    I was always taught "lip-to-lube" except for the wiper (outside on the gland). In the SKF pic, the o-ring in the seal gets pressure against it, which in turn drives it further into the housing. This causes the main seal to expand slightly under pressure and seal tighter...hope that makes sense. I just repacked a stabilizer cylinder and the seal was disintegrated to the point that i just picked out pieces too. My Hercules kit also had SKF seals in it and they looked real well made...fingers crossed that they last! I have repacked many cylinders in the past (mostly man lift or bucket trucks), and never saw seals disintegrated like the stabilizer I just did, and the one you did...kinda wonder if the oil is attacking the material they were made from?? Again, I guess time will tell.