Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Swing gearbox on Hitachi 40?

IceHole ยท 2023-10-22 16:46

Is there a gear oil to change in the swing motor gear box or it's greased?? The bigger machines I'm used to running have a dipstick even. The book only talks about grease, but I think that's the slew gear? I changed the finals yesterday and they seemed to have factory oil in them. Still had witness marks on the plugs and were SUPER tight. Took my 1/2" impact to get them loose. So suspecting the swing hasn't been touched either

Replies4
  1. #1Diesel Dave2023-10-23 14:53

    The ZX40U-3 swing planetary drive is lubed with swing motor case oil. There is no shaft seal in the swing motor.

  2. #2IceHole2023-10-24 12:37

    So hydraulic oil?

  3. #3Diesel Dave2023-10-24 13:12

    Yes. There is no dipstick, no level to check. The oil is replenished and recirculated back to the hydraulic tank when operating the swing.

  4. #4IceHole2023-10-24 13:14

    Thanks. Mist of my time is on bigger machines and logging equipment so this little guy is a bit foreign to me!