Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Switching from dayton hubs to hub pilot hubs

doublewide · 2022-02-26 19:31

For the sweat pants and sneaker crowd;

Replies61
  1. #1Jonas3022022-02-26 20:13

    I didnt watch all the vid but I switch those worthless turds every chance I get

  2. #2doublewide2022-02-27 17:30

    In the video they are switching out trailer hubs. Are there conversion hubs for truck axles too?

  3. #3Jonas3022022-02-27 18:16

    Sure are cost more than trailer hubs but might be worth it depending on a guys use

  4. #4doublewide2022-02-27 18:20

    Thanks. Where would I look for those?

  5. #5Jonas3022022-02-27 18:29

    Easiest way is to get someone helpful at your truck and trailer parts place to help you match them up then you need seals bearings if you want hubs will usually have the races in them new drum and pretty new wheels Seems like that came to about 3000 on a tandem int we did a few years ago just the back four left the fronts might still get those done someday Trailer hubs are around 130 plus the other parts

  6. #6FWD2022-02-27 18:30

    You can do them for a truck too I wouldn't want them working on my wheels though. FWD

  7. #7doublewide2022-02-27 18:51

    Here's the trailer ones; https://www.anythingtruck.com/product/421-HT818RD.html Like you said, I'd have to call them and match up everything.

  8. #8dieseldog5.92022-02-27 19:34

    There is probably still a stemco speedy sleeve attached to that spindle still, may be why it had a hard time going on. I have always been a torque wrench guy when it comes to wheel bearings and seals.

  9. #9dieseldog5.92022-02-27 19:39

    But I am also crazy and use a torque wrench on lug nuts

  10. #10Truck Shop2022-02-27 19:51

    With the amount of tires and wheels I have I don't have the time to torque. Gun them but know your gun.

  11. #11suladas2022-02-28 00:06

    Definitely the odd one out torqueing wheels, I have yet to see any guys at a tire shop torque a tire properly, they put a torque wrench on it, but i'm pretty sure they don't know how it works.

  12. #12dieseldog5.92022-02-28 07:23

    A respected technician friend who recently passed did heavy towing and emergency road service calls. He said to me once after changing a tire on a loaded coach bus that if that bus or truck had an accident it is easier to explain to the judge that you installed the tire with a calibrated torque wrench than explaining to the judge that you just wailed them on there with an impact gun. I guarantee you a set of Budd Wheels will test your resolve to do the right thing.

  13. #13doublewide2022-02-28 10:56

    My tires are in good shape so I prolly won’t do the conversion till I’m ready to replace them too.

  14. #14suladas2022-02-28 17:15

    Considering my truck has budds I watch tire guys very closely, one did not appreciate what I said would be a good alternative use of a torque wrench since they didn't want to use it for it's intended purpose. Neither guy could understand why it was wrong when every lug the wrench clicked immediately, no movement, and even after I told them it means they are over torqued they couldn't careless. It's scary how many tires they are responsible for putting on, that could potential kill people if they come off.

  15. #15DMiller2022-02-28 17:44

    Three Piece Firestones, NASTY!!

  16. #16Truck Shop2022-02-28 17:46

    Nasty.

  17. #17doublewide2022-02-28 18:33

    So I guess your vote would be to do the conversion sooner rather than later?

  18. #18Truck Shop2022-02-28 18:35

    No not necessarily.

  19. #19doublewide2022-02-28 19:30

    OK, thanks. How about that tire size? Is that obsolete?

  20. #20dieseldog5.92022-02-28 19:37

    Spokes are in good shape, open rims are cheep, you may be able to buy a radial rim and an 11r22.5 tire

  21. #21Truck Shop2022-02-28 19:45

    Just use 22.5 two hand hold steel wheels/11.00 22.5 tires IIRC easier to find. Salvage yards are full of wheels

  22. #22Jonas3022022-02-28 19:46

    Yes you could put tubeless spoke type wheels on if all your thinking is for new tires It would be a bunch cheaper depends on your needs As far as your steer tires I would consider those to be done need to be changed good for a trailer or old off road farm truck 20,s are generally obsolete and the split rims just need to go away

  23. #23Truck Shop2022-02-28 19:49

    Hub pilot spoke wheels?

  24. #24dieseldog5.92022-02-28 19:56

    You are from Massachusetts, take a ride up to rydmore truck parts, they have used tire and rim combinations, spoke wheels are not that odd on the east coast, personally I would run what ya brung. I bought a whole front axle and swapped the brake spiders and hubs shoes and drums with self adjusting slacks out to replace a set of wedge brakes. A whole front axle from rydemore is cheaper than buying all the parts.

  25. #25Truck Shop2022-02-28 20:16

    Minnesota Mags.

  26. #26crane operator2022-02-28 20:16

    3 ugga ugga dugga's and I'm there! Nothing special about budds, except theres twice as many nuts to take off. If you want your tires done a certain way, change them yourself. If you're not competent to do it yourself, don't take it to someone else and then complain how they are doing it. If you have time to watch, you've got time to help, if not- go drink coffee somewhere else.

  27. #27Tenwheeler2022-02-28 21:05

    And how do you know your air wrench? I check with a torque wrench once in a while. I know when my air compressor cuts on its time to stop. Not to many ugga duggas on those inner Budd nuts or you will be replacing studs. Some morons around here tighten lugs so tight they have to be heated with a torch to get them off. What do you do with a fuel tanker like that and this will not get the job done? Those Daytons are not really so bad just get them running true.

  28. #28suladas2022-02-28 21:20

    It's not wanting them done a certain way, it's wanting them done the right way so a tire doesn't come off and kill someone. It's a lot different at a tire shop when they are doing all different wheels the same way, despite different torque requirements. Any shop who let's a customers truck leave without torqueing the wheels is not a shop I would ever let touch my stuff, if you or any company does it with their own stuff it's fine it's theirs, but someone who is paying for it to be done properly? That's not ok.

  29. #29Truck Shop2022-02-28 21:32

    Many years using one. I've never lost wheels, but one item I do that I see no one else doing, I spray the studs down with penetrating fluid first to remove dirt-saves the threads taking them off.

  30. #30Tenwheeler2022-02-28 21:46

    You are not alone. Do you put anything on them putting them back? Also those $100,000 horse trailers. I torque all those lugs and would do the same on a motor coach. At least check them by hand on the side of the road.

  31. #31crane operator2022-02-28 21:59

    I've got one old crane that if I keep it- I think I can cheaper find a full tandem cut off with a 5 something gear ratio, and just swap the whole thing in one shot. Get rid of my 20" rubber, wedge brakes, and the ancient rockwells that are under it. Its twin steer up front, I might have to get creative switching them. I hopped my lowboy all over my yard trying to get the wheel studs off it. Air gun wouldn't touch them, and then I was right after them like you with a 12' cheater. I first spun the wheels (empty tri axle trailer doesn't have much grab), then I chained the wheels up and was bouncing the trailer around the yard. I finally got one of these: They look like a bunch of chinese junk, but the stupid thing works. Its a lifesaver on the side of the road with no air. https://www.amazon.com/XtremepowerUS-Torque-Multiplier-Saving-Wrench/dp/B00MI0DOW6

  32. #32Tenwheeler2022-02-28 22:33

    Yes they do.

  33. #33Tenwheeler2022-02-28 22:36

    On common trucks like his you can usually find disc wheel and hub assemblies and just install them on the axle.

  34. #34terex herder2022-02-28 22:46

    They make tork sticks for truck wheels. Lots better than guessing with a air gun.

  35. #35Pony2022-03-01 06:42

    Yeah I've got one of those cheap torque multipliers as well, it lives in the truck and has come in really handy a few times. Haven't broken it yet.

  36. #36Truck Shop2022-03-01 07:09

    I have roughly 1,200 wheel ends to deal with, that's 12,000 studs and 12,000 nuts. Just WD40 or so on studs. First job of the day yesterday-replace four air disc rotors and brake pads all inboard, 1 1/2 hrs per corner. It's constant brake work and tire work. 60% plus of my work is dealing with wheel ends. Wait till one of you have a hub pilot aluminum wheel fused to hub. 90% of the time you can go through wheel holes and bar off of drum or rotor to break loose soaked in penetrating fluid, then there's the 10% that you install four nuts loose and drive around doing figure 8's to break them loose. Salt and de-icing fluid will corrode them in place in one year. I've had wheels that took 1 hr to remove. When dealing with this many wheel ends-a constant every day exercise you get to know what your doing, I don't have time to by the book every lug nut, that's fantasy. And again I've never lost any wheels or wheel ends.

  37. #3756wrench2022-03-01 09:39

    You gotta be careful with some old aluminum hubs where the pilot lip for locating the drum is all corroded off. If you're looking for some in a wrecking yard, inspect them closely

  38. #38DMiller2022-03-01 16:06

    And then there is a Six year parked East Coast salted unit that the hubs and wheels were that corroded but Could NOT run laps around the yard. Fight and they will come off.

  39. #39crane operator2022-03-01 18:07

    Do you use those plastic spacers? I've never had them, and didn't know if you would have enough hub and studs to put a double set. I think I've only ever seen them between rims, not between rim and hub.

  40. #40Truck Shop2022-03-01 18:09

    Just between rims. the plastic doesn't like a hot drum.

  41. #41Truck Shop2022-03-01 18:17

    More than a fight. The tire guys were there, had never seen any that stuck.

  42. #42crane operator2022-03-01 18:27

    What about with disc brakes? Would the discs be far enough away not to melt them? Not that I have any of those fancy disc brakes- just curious.

  43. #43Truck Shop2022-03-01 18:52

    Some trailers came with plastic anti corrosion disc mounted there but makes no difference. It's the pilot area that seizes.

  44. #44Truck Shop2022-03-01 18:59

    The sandwich balancers only cause more heat on the air disc rotor, it partially blocks the holes in the wheels from getting air. Besides the fact those are totally worthless.

  45. #45Tenwheeler2022-03-01 21:19

    I watched a commercial tire service guy try his first mandated set. His compressor was PTO driven, set at 200 PSI with a 1 inch hose to the gun. He stood on the gun and snapped off two of them in a minute. Laughed and threw them in the trash.

  46. #46Truck Shop2022-03-01 21:38

    Biggest problem is using a hot rod air gun.

  47. #47suladas2022-03-01 21:54

    That's like putting a 6' bar on a 1/2" ratchet, it's just stupid of course it's going to break. If it's a 450ftlbs torque stick, you shouldn't be using an impact that's rated for 3-4 times on it and just going to town. It's for the guys who want to run them on with a impact and guess, it's provides some extra accuracy.

  48. #48Tenwheeler2022-03-02 21:09

    Does that not go back to knowing your equipment?

  49. #49Truck Shop2022-03-02 21:43

    Correct-big is good, great big is a lot better-the enemy of good is better.

  50. #50Old Doug2022-03-03 10:21

    I dont under stand this but at the shop the owner wanted us to start using a torque wrench on every lug nut. About that time we had a 2 guys retire and hired 2 guys. We started using the torque wrench every time and most every nut was tightened a little more than specs called for but we started having problems. Around here there guys keep trucks for years so most of them were stuff we had worked on for years with no problems. We had a alarming rate of problems . No body lost a wheel but we replaced several wheels and studs on 1 tons. It wasnt because some one didnt torque them because i saw them do it. We started having every pickup come back for a retorque with in 50 to a hundred miles.

  51. #5156wrench2022-03-04 10:56

    Thats why the tire shops here now hang the 'retorque' tag on the steering wheel when you pick up your vehicle. That way they are not liable for anything if you don't retorque whichever wheel/wheels they had off. Also has 'retorque in X number of km' on your receipt

  52. #52dieseldog5.92022-03-06 12:27

    Torque wrenches are not just set it and forget it tools, there is a proper technique, care and storage and retesting periodically. Also with trucks Dayton wheels require care in truing, hub pilot wheels require 1 drop of oil between the nut and washer. We are also trying not to over tighten the lug nuts which can be damaged when over tightened, someone may need to change that tire in a parking lot or on the side of the road. Also on lighter vehicles brake performance can be altered with a wheel not uniformly torqued. Dayton spoke wheels have their place, when you are out in the bush away from help in an area where rim damage has a high probability, a simple lug wrench (and a BFH) can be used to change a tire on the side of the road as the lugnuts are a fraction of the torque required for hub pilot wheels that require a large air supply to change.

  53. #53Truck Shop2022-03-06 13:51

    Most all of this relates to liability, because everyone is afraid of being sued.

  54. #54dieseldog5.92022-03-07 08:15

    I am more concerned with not killing someone, secondly concerned for my reputation as a professional.

  55. #55Truck Shop2022-03-07 11:45

    I think this part of the thread is over thought, because I can tell everyone If I thought I was putting someone and the company in jeopardy I would have stopped doing it a long time ago.

  56. #56suladas2022-03-08 01:23

    Also good for the mechanics health. While many company drivers wouldn't care if they got out unharmed, many O/O if lost a wheel and wrote off their livelihood over someone being careless might come back and put that torque wrench to use on the mechanic who didn't want to use it. It does happen, buddies shop CN truck didn't make it more then a few blocks before it lost a wheel. Being a big company no one on the truck gave a ****, but it caused massive changes at the dealership and a stern warning to anyone not torqueing wheels with a torque wrench, if they are caught, even if there isn't a problem they are gone no second chances. Liability is huge, there's a reason tons of companies who are allowed to do their own yearly inspections don't, because if the truck has an issue they didn't inspect it.

  57. #57doublewide2022-04-21 10:45

    Like this…

  58. #58doublewide2022-05-03 08:20

    Like this…

  59. #59Old Doug2022-05-03 10:10

    I hadnt messed with a truck tire in about a year sunday i replaced one of my rear tires that was fun. Getting the old one off i used dish soap it wasnt working so i went to atf before i got it off. Next time i am at my old work place i am going to get some lube and i need to hunt up all my tire tools.

  60. #60doublewide2022-05-13 09:01

    Mo bettah?

  61. #61Jonas3022022-05-13 11:41

    Looks much safer! Probably drives better too