Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Synthetic eng oil ??

txbrushbuster ยท 2010-08-14 10:34

Whats your thoughts on Syn oil ( or syn blends ) in skid steers? After they pass there warenty

Replies7
  1. #1drwroto2010-08-14 22:13

    I live in Northern Alberta, Canada. We use 0-40 oil year around. It makes for easier starting and quick flow of oil in the cold temps. Some people like to change to heavier oil in summer, but I don't. The internal temps of the engine run pretty similar all the time. I have had excellent results with the 0-40, I also use it in my gasoline engines.

  2. #2xcmark2010-08-15 20:15

    any one have any thoughts on useing it in the hydrolic oil ? My JCB doesnt like to crank over fast enough to start below 15*f and I am looking for ideas to get it to start at -10f but no colder.

  3. #3John C.2010-08-16 00:37

    I don't know what you mean by synthetic hydraulic oils but I have seen the oils they use in Alaska. It burns like lighter fluid even at -40 degrees F. I chased a burn job north of Valdez one year where a pin hole leak hit a turbo charger and turned into a flame thrower.

  4. #4drwroto2010-08-16 02:19

    Our John Deere crawlers us 0-40 for their hydraulics from the factory. They seem to work just fine. We also use synthetic hydraulic oil in the Tyalta mulchers which run 630 hpcirculating 200 gpm at 5000 psi. We do have diesel fired heaters (Espar) for the hydraulic oil and to warm the engines in the winter.

  5. #5xcmark2010-08-18 03:36

    the hydrolic oil in my machine is currently 10-30 motor oil , not sure what it was when i got it. My local dealer suggested useing the 10-30 and the manuals state its ok for the temp I will be running it in. So I was thinking maybe mobile 1 oil like 5-30? it only holds like 5~6 gallons on a drain and fill so its not big money.

  6. #6moosecountry2010-08-20 19:35

    I use synthetic in my truck, but recently have been told I might consider regular oil as the synthetic is too slippery...I didn't think that was a bad thing?? Tim

  7. #7drwroto2010-08-20 23:17

    That sounds like too much money, or too much fun.