What does everyone think of the VTS ( versatile track system ) that converts wheeled skid steers into track models. I am thinking of selling my T-300 vibratory loader and was considering replacing it with a machine with the VTS installed on it. So my questions are: 1- How do they hold up? 2- What breaks when then fail? 3- When it comes time for a rebuild, how much does it usually cost? 4- Any damage or extra wear to the machine? Thanks in advance for your expertise. If there is a thread already dealing with this, please direct me and I won't waste people's time. I tried to search it, but the search engine said that "vts" was too short.:beatsme
I have had a VTS system on my CASE 440 for about 500 hours now. Nothing has broken or needed to be rebuilt. The tracks for my size machine seem to go for around 2400 for both tracks with shipping. I might get about 800 hours out of my tracks. I have another wheeled machine so the VTS stays on dirt. Considering how productive it is ok with that, but initially I was hoping to get to 1000 hours, that is not likely to happen. It takes some hp to roll those tracks. They weigh about 1600 per side. So if you stay BC in my opinion you would want a larger machine like a 220 or 250 size and up. They increase the width of the machine. definetly want to make sure your buckets and trailer can accomondate. Overall I can say that at least 500 hours into ownership it was an excellent decision on my part to purchase them. They have made a huge difference in my capability. With you coming from a tracked machine you might not be as impressed as I was. I got mine off of Iron Planet. These were brand new VTS tracks still on the pallet. I paid $5200.00 compared to the 13-15K they want for them at a dealership I was happy. If your patient you can get a set at a good price. Make sure you get a wheeled machine with two speed. The VTS takes about 1mph off your wheeled machines top speed. Regardless of what the ads say, no one I know switches back and forth. I have yet to pull mine off.
I like the vibratory loader bit. I also have the VTS. I got a 70XT with them on, not sure what the total hours were on the tracks but put 300 hours over two years on and have 200 hours now on my 440S3. So far the machines have handled the VTS well. I also have never taken the VTS off but did have a track fail. It always had a big crack and would slip over even if it was tightened, got a track with half the tread and have been okay so far. Some machines handle the VTS better and more power is better, I think it does eat more fuel with the VTS but you get way more production with them. I like the ride and think it is very close to a ASV type ride(I have a Mustang MTL 16 that is jarring to say the least). On the Case the weak point is the axles but am not sure what other brands issues. My machine with VTS is 76.5" wide track to track and has a bolt that sticks out but I run a 78" bucket.
Thanks for the input. I was thinking of a Cat 252 or 262. Any thoughts on the system with these machines?
I would try and get the CAT that gives you the most hp and torque. CAT has a VTS ready option but that deletes the two speed so I am not sure if CAT is saying their two speed cant take the VTS or what but I would not be without the two speed.
I just fixed a 246c with the VTS that was added when it was brand new. We have alot in our rental fleet and they are nothing but problems, More so than the cat system. I don't know if the price difference is worth it. I just replaced a track that was separating and an idler that the bearings went out on, only has 500 hours. It took 5 weeks to get the parts. All the parts were in Terex boxes so i guess VTS were bought out by them.
Interesting. Thanks for the info. So all the units you have are somewhat problematic, or just the one? Failure at 500 hrs is ridiculous.
I will not say the VTS is perfect but it's the best option out there right now. My CTL(Mustang MTL 16) can not touch what the skid/VTS will do but it is an owner operated machine not a rental unit or a whole bunch of guys running it. I also know there may be issues but choose to take the risk because it allows me to get my work done. I was a big fan of the VTS because I use to plow snow and didn't want to have two machines or plow with a tracked machine, pulling the VTS off and running the tires for winter but don't plow now.
Cat will void warranty if you put them on a 2spd machine. i have been there lol. also they are hard on drive chain's since it only drives off of the back wheel, they are slow as heck because the diamater of the drive sprocket is signifigantly smaller than a regular skid tire, and they dont get around in the slimy mud anywhere near as good as a skid with steel tracks. but other than that they are great, stability, traction in normal conditions, ride, etc. they are IMO better than a rubbertracked skid there are tons of used systems out there as well....call your CAT dealer is what i did Pj
More problems that a CAT tracked machine? That certainly has to be a stretch of the truth. CAT Rental puts them on their machines to rent out. Now that they have a CTL I sure that will change but CAT stores everywhere are using this system in place of their own MTL.
Cat was having a problem with their track skidsteers so someone in our company purchased a dozen or so VTS's and we put them on. We are constantly fixing and replacing parts on the VTS, they are very noisy and getting parts is a headache. Cat has improved the problems with their system but even so, at least parts were only a day or two away. http://www.terex-bhl.com/main.php?o...iid=0018&cid=6da9a4025471f95f10149fb5559d24e6 When did Terex take over the VTS? Maybe they will improve it. :beatsme
When Terex bought ASV, ASV had bought Loegering. I disagree and hope Terex sells Loegering, can't see a big company really improving anything. The noise issue is a new one for me? I agree the parts are a nightmare(I think it's a Terex issue myself...). I also disagree with the statement about using them in the mud, we hauled barnyard scrappings home and it rained on it and I could push it up the pile with the skid/VTS. I really wish the equipment companies would accept the VTS so it would be a bulletproof system.
don't know how your winters are but here cold winters freeze the tracks on my jd 332 and no amount of cleaning helps.
Terex just buys companies as a mid-term investment. They just sold their mine trucks to Bucyrus. ISZ
thats fine by me bucyrus has a plant just down the road from me.
They have sold and bough lots of companies over the years, but I think if you'd read their annual report you'd see that they sold their mining business because the capital expenditures to support the range far outstripped the revenues and profits. something like 14% of their profits, but 25% of their capital expenditures. Terex also stated in 2009 that their goal was to transform from a holding type company into more of an operational company by shedding unprofitable business units or portions of business that don't meet their core criteria of being focused on industrial/utility or construction. If you look it up you will see that CAT is also involved heavily in Mergers, aquisitions and divestures- 9 divestures alone in the last ten years compared to 23 mergers. Terex has had 13 divestures and 20 mergers. They've each taken stakes in five companies over the same ten year period. Pretty comparable. They seemed to have held onto companies that meet their definition- Genie, Fermec, crushing and screening associated equip, schaeff, etc.
We are trying out a VTL on a 262C. They are definitely slower and ride rougher, but they actually seem to be built to last. CAT definitely has some problems with the track systems they have designed and this is evident by so many of their dealers supplying the VTL's on their rental fleet. This machine is brand new and so in my opinion the CAT dealers still have no confidence in the CAT undercarriage models. Hope to put 300 hours on it and see what the track looks like. We have a 287C and 297C which both the track and undercarriage are shot on and we are debating which track system to use next. The VTL does take more horsepower, is rougher riding and a little louder but the components on it don't seem like they will break as easily and I imagine the track itself is quite a bit cheaper. It does also sit the machine up a little higher which in our situation gives us a little bit more clearance. Just my 2 cents.