Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Synthetic grease

jimr ยท 2013-11-07 16:22

When I did the brakes not long ago the last person in there had used synthetic grease as a sealant on the housing and on the actuating link pivots, when I tried to clean the grease off (as it was allover by the time it was apart) it turned to sludge that required a scraper to get off. This was using petroleum based solvents. Got me wondering if synthetic grease is OK to use in the rear axel bearings. This is a 580SE. Thanks jimr

Replies7
  1. #1AllDodge2013-11-10 17:07

    Personally I really like synthetic grease. Water doesn't effect it much so it helps in that regard and carries all the performance requirements of the petroleum based.

  2. #2blitz1382013-11-11 15:22

    Synthetic grease is actually referring to the base oil used in the grease. It will have nothing to do with the removal if it and little too do with the performance. It will have a lower coefficient if friction then a mineral I'll type grease but there's allot tp it than that. A better question would be what type off thickener is used?

  3. #3monster762013-12-18 19:50

    is there any truth to this test? concept make sense http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqvq5IHjHTg

  4. #4AllDodge2013-12-18 21:09

    Personnally I like amsoil and most other synthetic lubes, but as all other advertisers they make their stuff look good. That being said I wouldn't put amsoil up any higher then any other synthetic lube.

  5. #5monster762013-12-18 22:37

    i know where your coming from i just stumbled on that video not even sure how and figured id post here for some ones opinion

  6. #6blitz1382013-12-26 11:06

    I think there is a big difference between a heavily loaded pin and a hammer hitting an anvil with grease.

  7. #7kshansen2013-12-26 13:02

    This topic got me to thinking about a 966C Cat loader we had years ago at one of our plants in NY. This loader had all the original factory pins and bushings in it when it was sold after many years loading stone out of stock piles. I don't have a record of the hours on it but recall having to remove some pins while resealing lift cylinders. It took a gentile tap with a hammer handle. You could not feel any wear on the pins. This machine was never "greased". What it had was an auto lube system that used 80W-90 oil that was pumped to the various pins by a pump that was activated by the air pressure from each brake application. The biggest problem the system had was the fragile plastic lines for the oil. As luck would have it both the operator and the operator's boss were very good about repairing the lines as soon as a broken one was seen. Other plants had the same systems but lacked the support needed to properly maintain the system so it got a bad rep. as not working. Labor saving devices do not eliminate all labor!