Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

T740 DEF fluid was put in diesel fuel tank

Bcarroll · 2022-05-30 21:16

So there was a mishap and 9 gallons of DEF fluid was introduced into the diesel tank in the machine was started however through a code for water in the lime and we proceeded to pump copious amounts of DEF fluid water etc. out of the fuel filter. Most mechanics shops are saying complete top in fuel system replacement from injectors to dropping the tank and cleaning. We put diesel back in and continue to pump the water out until diesel fluid is coming through the system the machine started back up and is working intermittently but is now throwing a code e- 001076–16. I’m just looking for some guidance if this machine is screwed if there’s any workaround to keep firing it up and cleaning the system with injector cleaner and anti-gel fuel additives

Replies3
  1. #1Welder Dave2022-05-31 04:00

    Your questions might have been better in the CTL forum but how long was the machine run with the DEF in the fuel tank? I think if you caught it right away the damage may not be too severe. Others with more experience with DEF should be along shortly.

  2. #2Tinkerer2022-05-31 08:14

    Welcome To HEF, Bcarroll ! You may be screwed. This website explains what happens. It seems that when the crystallization takes place everything has to be replaced. https://www.txdservice.com/def-in-my-diesel-fuel-tank

  3. #3Welder Dave2022-05-31 13:18

    What does the new code mean? I'm glad I have older machines without DEF or other emissions crap on them.