So I realized that my temp gauge isn’t reading I looked for troubleshooting tips and came up empty- any thoughts? the machine was running for 15 min full throttle in 90* temp and when turned off it steamed a little bit but the gauge said 100 - lol I will trace the wires for the gauge but then? I am not sure if the antifreeze is still “good” but I will check the level next time-
Any chance that the guage may be metric? In degrees C, 100 is the same as boiling in the USA, that is, 212F. Jon.
The temperature sender should be in the vicinity of the thermostat, take the wire off the gauge and touch it to ground with the key on, if the gauge goes to full hot, then the gauge and wiring is working and the sender is not. Doesn't hurt to use a temperature gun to check the actual temp, "steaming" isn't a real accurate reading. and yes, the coolant needs to be full for the gauge to work.
thanks- the gauge isnt in C8 since 100 is the first number- i will look at it tomorow and test-
I said gauge, I meant take the wire off at the sender, or just short it to ground at the sender near the thermostat. Hopefully you understood that.
So I only had a min or 3 to look at machine so far but I did add a gallon and a half of fluid to the radiator- machine has sat for a couple days and I checked it without starting and added- will check gauge next but low on fluid doesn’t help