Hello My 580 Super E's tach cable is not attached at the engine and for the life of me I cant find where it is supposed to go??? Anyone have any ideas?
The tach cable attaches to a little right angle gear box that is driven off of the injection pump gear/shaft. Look on the front left side of the engine on the front side of the timing cover just in front of the injection pump and you should find the drive or a cover were the drive should be.
The 580E was the first model year with the cummins engine. (which is still in use today.) I don't have repair experience with the E model, but have worked on B,C D K,L and M's. The tachometer on models with that engine ran off of the alternator. Any time I saw a tach. that didn't work the brushes were worn out on the built in regulator. Another indication is a flickering volt meter. The brushes are part of the regulator and it is easily replaced by removing 2 phillips head screws on the back of the alternator. There is no need to remove the alternator. Make sure you disconnect the battery. Also any alternator repair shop that works on bosch alternators should have the regulator on stock and it is alot cheaper than going to the dealer. Hope I'm steering you in the right direction. I know that K,L and M's work this way.
The 580E is the only backhoe with the CDC engine not to use the alternator for the tack. It had a mechanical drive tach like the D and prior machines except it ran off of the injection pump drive instead of the camshaft.
Goose, mine has a cover where this tach should be connected. Can I get the parts and install the tach cable? Is there the right connection inside at the pump drive?
Yes the connection is there. The drive adapter fits over the nut on the pump drive shaft. You will need the folling parts: 1 J905217 DRIVE, 1 J903475 GASKET,1 J905218 GASKET,1 J903476 COVER, 1 J905306 ADAPTER,12 A77442 BOLT AND 2 J903644 WASHER. All of the parts should be available at your local Case dealer.
thanks Goose
Hey Goose just an update,,, I recieved the parts today and installed them and I do have a tach now!!! movin up now. Thanks all for your help.
Good info. Thanks.
hey ottawamerc glad to hear you got your tach fixed. i 'm in oxford station we should get togeather some time have some info for cheeper parts than case. TB
I have been working on this. That big flange that screws on is weird. My $95 gearbox was bad and the little black coupling inside had the tip broken. With the radiator off I could see the nut inside the hole was OFF CENTER. I found I could simply hammer the large part sideways to center it. This is a plastic deal with threads that screw into the pump drive cover. This is a strange design and not so impressive to me. Also pay attention to the depth of engagement where the coupling fits up into the gearbox. The large part has to be fitted all the way in to have proper engagement. This seems to all be a cheap design by Case!
That's probably why they went to an electrical tacho, about halfway through the ' E ' series
I got mine back together yesterday with all new parts, but I think this IS a bad design, Unless the radiator is off you can't reall SEE what I am talking about. You screw that big fitting in with huge pliers or a pipe wrench. Then when I inserted the coupling up on the bolt, it was NOT centered. I had to loosen and fool with that big cover knocking it sideways to get the thing straight. I think the thing being off centered is what damaged my little 1:1 gearbox. It needs to be screwed up on pretty tight to close the seal, plus offer enough engagement of the spline into the gearbox fitting. If whatever is inside the housing was to get worn and had any loose motion, this could also damage the coupling or gearbox. Just a bad idea by Case for a tachometer. My hourmeter does not work and I am starting to look for that issue now.
Just to add in case someone ever comes across this thread. This actually FIXED my hourmeter also. My RPM hand plus the hourmeter is all mechanical. I thought the hourmeter was electrical (some are) but on mine both work off that tach assembly.
Where did you get your part at?
I got my parts at colemanequipment.com in Kansas. I never found an aftermarket gearbox or maybe one with a cummins part number. The gearbox was a Case #J905217 $95.74 The black plastic coupling was Case # J905306 $ 22.04, and I also got a new seal, that I did not use. The new gearbox actually has this part number stamped on it, if anyone can find it from someplace other than Case. "3905217" ENM 1:1 BQ SF20 So far mine is fixed, but I don't like this design. If you are not careful the coupling will be off centered after you screw the cap on, stressing the connection. (And UNLESS the radiator is off and out of the way, you can't SEE what I am talking about) The weak point is a very TINY piece of metal that acts like a keyway. This is made onto the little coupling that just fits over the big nut that holds the injection pump gear.
^^^ TIP - re: any Case part # begining with "J" - change it to a "3" = Cummins part # ^^^