Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Can I repair/ rebuild a boom swing control valve with it still installed?

ottawamerc ยท 2008-08-21 10:57

Long title I know, well I have a Case Super E 1982 vintage that has a problem with the swing control. I was wondering if it is possible to repair it while it is still installed? Will it lose alot of oil if I do pull the spool? Any info would be appreciated. Scott

Replies3
  1. #1JasonMac2008-08-21 18:05

    The 580 Super E wasn't available in 1982. That would have been the 580D or Super D. The 580 E models were in production in late 1984, and were considered 1985 models.... Then the 580K's came out in 1987. 580D was 1981. 580C was 1978.

  2. #2ottawamerc2008-08-22 07:27

    Well then I guess thats good for me, and my dealer should recheck their serial number books! Thanks

  3. #3AtlasRob2008-08-23 12:27

    I have no experience of your machine but provided all services are free of pressure and buckets are on the ground. Release the hyd tank pressure and then you are good to pull any bits you like off it you will loose some oil by gravity from any pipes and it might be handy to have some spare rags to act as bungs on pipes you remove. Be very careful when you take the spools out in case you have loose or broken bits, watch and look for missing or damaged O rings. Make sure everything is spotless and lubed with fresh hyd oil when you start to reassemble.