Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Tag-a- long Trailer ?

Nac ยท 2007-11-25 16:56

Does any body know what size deck I need to move a John Deere 160Clc? Also has any body seen or used a BWS tag-a-long trailers they seem to be tilt decks with air bags and the hole trailer deck tilts but it still has a beaver tail. Seams like a good desigh I am looking to get a tag a long in the near future.

Replies62
  1. #1NateV2007-11-25 18:08

    I have seen 160 size machines moved on normal 20 ton tags. Our 20 ton eager beaver has an over all deck lenght of 25ft including the bever tail but the main part is 19 ft. I would think that would work for you. Edit: maybe i read the eager beaver specs wrong. They say additional deck length up to 24 ft but im not sure if that includes the beaver tail or not. I will have to measure ours next time.

  2. #2erthmover2007-11-25 18:58

    Eager Beavers brochure I have shows the standard length of a 20 ton is 19' and optional lengths from 20'-24' which it doesn't include the beaver tail.

  3. #3NateV2007-11-25 19:58

    Thats what i thought it meant it but wasnt sure.

  4. #4jmac2007-11-25 21:31

    I am also looking for 20 ton trailer to move my PC150-6 around. Have to pay to have it moved $150 each time. A new trailer is around 15k so that will get me 100 moves so not in any big hurry. The Eager Beaver is what I want. I see many guys moving my size excavator around on them, about 36,000 lbs. I have a 12 ton trailer now so a little small. I have borrowed a 20 ton Eager beaver to move it with and not alot of fun. Much easier to pay and just show up but sometimes I can't wait for the move so to do it myself would be nice.

  5. #5dumptrucker2007-11-25 21:43

    We used to move our pc 150 on our 20 ton trailer with no problem at all.

  6. #6Nac2007-11-26 18:03

    BWS Trailers And what about BWS trailers anybody ever seen one?

  7. #7CascadeScaper2007-11-26 18:45

    For excavators, I prefer tilt beds, they're easier/safer to load. There's no "breaking point" to cross compared to a ramp trailer with a beavertail. I think some guys will disagree with me, but I've found 20 ton tilts to be faster, safer, and easier to use than ramp trailers for excavators. For backhoes, a ramp trailer is fine, but it's been my experience that if you're in a tricky spot trying to load an excavator on a ramp trailer, there's an added dimension that throws you a curve ball.

  8. #8Kgmz2007-11-26 20:37

    Just looked at that BWS Air Ramp/Air Tilt 20 ART/25 ART trailer on their website. I can see maybe that the air ramp feature might be nice, not having to lift those heavy ramps. But I really see no sense in having the deck tilt. You still have to break over the transition from the beaver tail to the main deck. How is this really any different than loading without the deck tilted, except for a slightly lower approach angle. But unless you need to load two pieces of equipment a tilt bed is the way to go. Quick, easy, no heavy ramps to lift, etc. I really like our TrailMax TRD50 tri-axle tilt trailer with 49,000 lb capacity, and we have owned Eager Beavers, and Trail Kings. In fact still have a B9DOW Eager Beaver that just sits around, and should get rid of it since we use the TrailMax for everything now. You will find at least in the NW and west coast that the TrailMax's have pretty much taken over the market from 5 to 25 ton tag trailers.

  9. #9rino14942007-11-26 21:14

    We have a 20 ton Talbert Tag. Although, we won't put our 315 on it. We use our lowboy for that. We only use it for our smaller machines.

  10. #10Nac2007-11-26 21:33

    Here are some pics I found. And according to their web site you can load two machines if there is enough room with out the deck going down.

  11. #11nedly052007-11-27 06:00

    A guy here in town had a tri axle BWS a few years back. I moved a skidder with him one time and I really liked it. It was slick to load on and very vell put together. He had it custom built with stake pockets and stakes so he could use it to haul logs as well. I would definitly reccomend th BWS from what I have seen of them.

  12. #12thejdman042007-12-01 16:04

    nice traielr, but i dont like them darn tilt decks. When its muddy, icy etc its bad enough and nerve racking enough id rather have a flat area to stop on so when i crawl out of the machine im not looking over my shoulder wondering if its gonna stay there.

  13. #13Nac2007-12-02 09:53

    From what i figured out the trailer can be used as a traditnal beaver tail or as a tilt deck that why you can get it with or without ramps

  14. #14Joe Lall2008-01-29 18:58

    Are you not running overloaded, with a 160 class machine on a 20-ton trailer? Our Case CX-160 is 17.5 metric tonnes fully loaded, adding the weight of the trailer puts us at around 21 metric tonnes in total. That does not even include carrying a 3000# class hammer, extra bucket, etc.

  15. #15Nac2008-01-29 19:21

    I think so that is why i am going with A 25 ton trailer

  16. #16Joe Lall2008-01-30 07:53

    Which type of trailer did you decide on? I have never loaded an excavator on a tilt trailer before. Does the trailer drop down once the weight passes over the pivot point?

  17. #17Komatsu 1502008-01-30 08:56

    We are legal in Illinois with our 150 on a tag trailer (each axle checked by me and several officers). However to be legal we have to carry 15,000 lbs of tongue weight - no way around it. Very few of the pintle hitches you see on trucks are rated that high. In order to get that high a rating I bought 100,000 thousand pound New Holland hitches for our trucks. At that, 15,000 is their max tongue load. Granted, hitches are much stronger than their ratings, but I had a lower rated hitch hitch break while pulling an empty trailer. NO fun at all.

  18. #18bobcat ron2008-01-30 12:48

    A Trail King TK50 is what we currently use for the 320C Cat's, triple axles, dual air cylinders, 80/20 tilt deck with flip down apron on the rear, very nice set up for 20,000+ pounds of Cat steel.

  19. #19mikef872008-01-30 14:59

    I have a 25 ton eager beaver that I've moved my 320BL on. Works fine. Even moved the Terex 72-31B, Trojan 1500 and Trojan 1900. I wouldn't move anything bigger than a 320 on it because of the height.

  20. #20Nac2008-02-07 18:35

    I end up getting a 25 ton BWS will pick it up saterday and post some pics when I have a chance.

  21. #21Nac2008-02-10 21:44

    Well i picked up the new BWS 25 ton tag a long yesterday. All ready made two moves with moved my John Deere 160 Clc and a Lull 1044B I just aquried from a customer that has to give me some money. I was a breeze to load and unload. Forgot to take pics but I will

  22. #22BIGDAN3152008-03-01 16:57

    Sounds like he might be pushing it hu ? Sometimes it's all on where you position the machine on the trailer. What I mean is how much weight is on the truck hitch and how much is on the trailer wheels ? I guess you would have to scale it to be sure....:my2c

  23. #23Nac2008-03-03 17:02

    Here is pic of the new trailer sitting in the yard

  24. #24CM19952008-03-04 08:10

    Nice trailer.:notworthy My next tag will definetely be a tri. Is that a tilt?

  25. #25Nac2008-03-24 17:19

    Here are 2 pics of the trailer loaded

  26. #26Nac2008-03-24 19:02

    here are more

  27. #27NateV2008-03-24 19:20

    Looks good! Question for you, does the license plate hit the ground when the trailer is tilted? It seems like all trailer mfg put the plate in a place that will drag the ground if you get into a dip.

  28. #28Nac2008-03-24 19:26

    No the plate does not hit there is a steel pad in the center that sit on the ground when you tilt the trailer.

  29. #29erthmover2008-03-24 20:44

    The trailer look awsome and very well built. Congrats

  30. #30dragman11112008-03-25 23:59

    Cool trailer

  31. #31trailerman2008-03-28 14:51

    Yea! There made in Canada which means now the price with exchange will be high! Look at the CAM Superline 25 ton.

  32. #32Cat4202008-03-28 18:31

    Welcome to HEF trailerman. Unfortunately I must suggest reading this entire thread before recommending CAM anything!

  33. #33Nac2008-03-28 18:55

    here are some more pics.

  34. #34Countryboy2008-03-28 23:14

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums trailerman! :drinkup

  35. #35dozerman282008-03-29 19:58

    NAC, whats up with your website?

  36. #36Nac2008-03-29 20:03

    I had problems with it and yet to get it redisegned and up and running

  37. #37AtlasRob2008-03-30 17:06

    Neat trailer Nac. Only one query. The first set of pics you posted there was no bin on the truck. I would be a little concerned about the tail wagging the dog If the truck is toooo light, eg, no bin ! Or do you put a bit of weight in the bin when moving?

  38. #38Nac2008-03-31 07:39

    I normally run it with out a box the truck is 30,800 lbs with out a box so I have no problem. I need the box on the job I was going on thats why it was loaded.

  39. #39SunServicesLLC2008-03-31 11:54

    Hey Nac Wondering how the q/c grapple is working for you? After running my 200's, i would love to get the heavy thumb off the tippy 160 while loading out dirt after the house is long gone. Brian

  40. #40Nac2008-03-31 16:20

    I lovr thr grapple used this weekend to pull s tree out of the river.

  41. #41imjustdave2008-04-20 22:56

    I would really love to hear some details of your truck. I have been seriously thinking about getting a hook lift and using a trailer to haul a larger Ex, or dozer, just like you are doing. Also do you have any issues with the boom sticking out past the end of the trailer? I have been told in the PNW that is a big ticket, but I haven't confermed yet. Nice setup....

  42. #42earthscratcher2009-04-26 09:52

    nice setup

  43. #43beans2010-01-30 17:30

    i need feedback on a 12 ton backhoe pro with the inside tandem wheels under the bed. is this the wrong trailer to get. in other words to change atire you would have to get under trailer

  44. #44backhoe12010-01-30 17:59

    I have one, had it 3 years now. great economy trailer!! It really isn't that big of a deal to crawl under to change a tire. I wish mine had 2 jacks on the front so that you could unhook without completely unloading, but other than that I can't think of anything I'd change. When I was looking for a trailer, I priced many that were in the $10K range, bought the backhoe pro for $5700 and it has hauled anything I've put on it.

  45. #45shadow2010-05-14 07:25

    hey nac i was looking at a bws tilt trail and i was wonder when your deck is flat can the ramp hit the ground and have a machine run up the ramps to get on to the trailer. thanks joe

  46. #46ctkiteboarding2010-09-22 18:08

    looking at a bws as well nac,,,, how has yours held up? also anyone have a bws with the air ramps ? do they get in the way of the boom and stick when loaded thanks :usa

  47. #47Nac2010-09-23 09:17

    I have the short ramps on mine , they do tuch the ground but the angle is steeep. They do have a standard ramp to do what you want. But the tilt will hold 10,000 lbs at nose with out going down. I have not seen the air ramp in person but I do think there is enough room for the boom. There is a video of the air ramp trailer on BWS website.

  48. #48ctkiteboarding2011-09-09 20:24

    hey nac , you've had your air tilt awhile, how has it held up? any issues or constructive criticism? im going to look at a 25t bws air tilt with the ramp option in the am just wondering how you have made out thx

  49. #49Nac2011-09-10 19:06

    Is working goof for me. I have no complaints and would not change anything.

  50. #50ctkiteboarding2011-09-10 20:28

    thanks, thats great to hear ,im going to buy this one tomorrow , pics to follow

  51. #51JBGASH2011-09-10 22:16

    I would like one to haul a 953C trackloader, but am wandering if it would be top heavy or how it would work? Anyone using a tag to move a loader of this size have comments good or bad. Thanks

  52. #52CM19952011-09-11 10:37

    I have moved my '53C on a tag most of it's life. I have a Betterbuilt with tandem 22.5K lb axles. It's a flat deck no tilt with "aftermarket" hydraulic ramps. This is similar to what I have - http://www.betterbuilttrailers.com/22 5k dual tandem pintle hitch.htm The 953 rides perfectly on that trailer. I have a 24' flat with 5' dove so you can position the machine to balance the weight. A '53C will be around 32-35K lbs so it's well below the rated capacity of my trailer. In Alabama we are allowed 22.5K per axle on secondary State and county roads. I have no experience with tilt trailers.

  53. #53JBGASH2011-09-11 18:32

    Thanks CM1955 for the info. I will be purchasing one sound like it will work well. The betterbuilt model looks good.

  54. #54CM19952011-09-11 18:49

    The Betterbuilts are made in North Alabama. They are pretty good trailers, it's not a TrailKing but it's made locally and is better priced. I bought mine direct from the factory and was able to customize it.

  55. #55Jim Dandy2014-02-01 22:30

    Nuccio, I am assuming your trailer does not have an air lift front axle. Has tire scrubbing been an issue? I am contemplating a new 25 ton tag but I keep hearing to stay away from triple axles because they are so hard on the front axle tires. I don't know if the dual wheels do better than the single wheels on triple axles. Did you buy this trailer from Hale?

  56. #56shadow22014-05-16 07:48

    hey nac what made u go with the short ramps vs the full air ramp. can u get other machine on the trailer like skid steers and lulls. why did u go tilt over flat deck thanks joe

  57. #57Nac2014-06-01 14:47

    No it does not have the lift axle. the tires seem to be holding up fine. The short ramp is all they had in stock when I bought mine. I don't think they offer it that way any more it is no ramps or long ramps. Air ramps are good for a paver and roller. I like the combo of tilt beaver over straight tilt or beaver tail trailer.

  58. #58gwhammy2014-06-15 09:25

    What's the heaviest loads anyone hauls on a pintle hitch? Can you safely haul 50,000 on the right pintle hitch trailer behind a dump truck?

  59. #59clintm2014-06-15 09:51

    In my opinion you can't haul any thing over 25,000 pds safely on any pintle hitch.

  60. #60ctkiteboarding2014-06-15 11:01

    http://www.buyersproducts.com/towin...ntle-hook-10-hole-pattern-w-air-chamber/5064/

  61. #61CM19952014-06-15 11:30

    I have been hauling 40K lbs +/- on pintle hitch tags for a while, it's safe.

  62. #62gwhammy2014-06-15 12:12

    I'm around that. The dumptruck I use now is a little short so the loader needs to be on just right. Going across scales the total is just below 74,000 if the loader tracks and bucket are clean. From the way I read the bridge laws I can legally scale this the loader 6 inches farther forward than I usually set it. It actually handles pretty well and stops real good with the triple axle brakes.