We are getting to the point where we need to start shopping for a tag tilt trailer before the end of the year. Our mack tandem axle is becoming critical in our business and we are still moving our CTL and KX040 separately with the 5500. Ideally we want the ability to move both of those at the same time to a job. Do you guys use a valve on the hydraulic cylinder to lock the trailer tilted down or use the equipment to hold it down while loading the first machine? Additionally, our next purchase will likely be a larger excavator in the 8 or 15 ton range so we are also thinking about just jumping to a triple axle which will give more room for double loading and allow for more weight later on. From reading and talking to others it sounds like the front tires get beat up pretty hard. Does anyone on here have a triple with a front axle lift? Finally, are there any other things I should consider with this situation?
Welcome to the Forums! Give us a little background on what you do and how often you move. The first advice is always buy the largest and heaviest trailer you can afford that works for you business. Of course there are many other factors. Not familiar with tilts but I have a 54K tandem tag that we've hauled 953's, D6N's and 315's on a regular basis. It's good for 40K lbs which all 3 of those were close. Anything heavier would require a 3rd axle. I've kicked around the idea of adding a 3rd air lift axle but don't have the truck to pull that kind of weight. Once we moved a 321CLCR on it a short distance and I made a deal with the Lord that if he showed us grace to get to where we were going I would never do it again and I will keep that promise till I die.
We specialize in concrete, but does a lot of excavation and piping along with that. Hoping to add in septic systems to that list next year as well. Most jobs are 2-6 days. Some short ones and some longer ones for bigger foundations where we do the excavation and all the concrete. Right now we mainly use a 14k gooseneck dump trailer to move everything. It works for our smaller deere 35c and the skid steer, but the Kubota is getting too heavy. We had planned on get a drop deck tilt with 10k axles, but they are pretty pricey and we are noticing that the dump truck is coming to pretty much every job anyway. We have looked at a couple used two axle tags locally but they don't come up often and have all been way too beat up for the price. Looking at new the price difference between a quality two axle versus three axle isn't that bad. I think we could squeeze everything we want onto a two axle, but I also don't want to limit myself in excavator choice. If we get to the point of needing a 160 or larger we would likely move to a lowboy.
A 160 is doable on a heavy tandem here but I'm not familiar with your weight laws in WA. If I had to buy another heavy tag it would be a tandem with 3rd lift axle. Might as well have the extra capacity and keep it up when not needed. If the 3rd axle has brakes even better as you can lower it on the HWY for a smoother ride and extra brakes. Now I wouldn't own a tri-axle trailer that didn't have an air lift front axle. Tri's are hard on front axle tires whether single or dual. Never had a tilt trailer but would consider one. Tilts are not very common here as most of the tags are the "paver special" types with the long beaver tail and long hydraulic ramps which work well.
We can't go beyond the JD 120 I have on a tandem here. It is maxed out to the federal 34K per two axle rule. Do check on the local laws. I have loaded two lighter pieces on it, but always a pain by yourself. The tilt cushion cylinder does not have a remote valve to lock it in place. It is a metering valve to make for a nice soft tilt action. Two guys it is a breeze. One drives up till he just clears the tail, and then the other guy starts on. Lighter piece of iron up front. Then they both move forward close together and the trailer does not tip prematurely due to the heavier equipment halfway on the back. The advantage of the tilt IMO is maneuverability. It is short and easy to get into tight jobsites, and I knife it to drop the tail to the other side of a curb without blocking a whole road.
That's what I was thinking regarding WA limits. All the 145s and 160s I see are on triples out hereits pretty crazy to post this and within two hours have someone reply who's a stones throw away. Saw your thread on the house and found out you're near sequim too. I reached out to capital equipment who make the Olympic tilt trailers about getting it plumbed with a lock out valve and asked if they can do an air lift front axle.
CM, I agree on the additional brakes being nice for the longer trips when you've got it loaded up.
We bought a Felling FT-20-2T this year, be it smaller then what you are looking for, I can comment on the tilt. It is nothing more than a hydraulic cylinder with both ports tied together with a glorified ball valve. You would not be able to load two machines with this set up. We ended up adding hydraulic jacks and used a switching valve so the pump can control the deck tilt as well.
I'm not near Sequim..........yet
Have you seen the tilt trailers with a stationary bed up front? Working 2 pieces on a tilt trailer is a pain they were never intended to have all that weight hanging up front when the tail is on the ground If I had the plans that you do I would forget the tilt and get something with nice air ramps
two little pieces of iron are not a lot of weight. a KX 40 and a CTL are only 2/3rds of the JD120, they are pretty gentle on the trailer compared to that hot "steel on steel" action
Something of this nature.
I think of those as the oil tankers of the trailer world. If I wanted a 160 excavator I'd be stuck with it.
Just my $.035 adjusted for inflation but stay far, far away from Econoline. Very cheaply built trailers, their manufacturing facility is in northwest AL and a good friend of mine used to build them. A good Alabama made trailer is Betterbuilt. Our heavy tag is a Betterbuilt of 2004 vintage that all we've had to do is put a deck once, tires as usual, a couple of lights and one brake can. It's been a tough trailer I'd recommend.
That photo is strictly a representation, For a three axle preferably a Trail King.
Does Pitts build a tag along I pull a 35 ton hiboy or whatever they call then it's heavy I thing you could put 50 ton on it and not break it. I believe there out of Alabama also.
Yes Pitts is also built in Alabama and they do make tags. https://pittstrailers.com/tag-alongs-2/
OP is in Washington state. Trail King is the common choice out this way.
Trail King is a great trailer, actually one of the best on the market. Special ordered a deck over 14K dual axle single wheel back in 1996. Spec'd the easy flip over ramps and traction aids on the beaver tail. Served it's purpose well for years pulling skids, CTL's and minis behind an IH 4300 and 4700. A couple of years ago we converted it to a dump trailer as we use pan trailers to move the small stuff.
Didn't dawn on me till now that trailer selection would be a regional thing folks out in the western part of the country probably never heard of pitts
The choices are definitely different. Just got back from a family gathering and saw 3 trailmax triple axles on the drive. Trailking, interstate, and Olympic are popular out here as well. Olympic did get back to me and say they can add a hydraulic lock out for the tilt. Interestingly they said they have tried lift axles before and didn't have good results.
Does anyone make a tag with 22.5 low pros tho. We are forever having tire trouble with 17.5s
oh yeah those 17.5's are the devil. My 90's 20 ton has the low pro 22.5's. Night and day!
Pretty common to see 255/75-22.5's used on tags. I use to move 215's all the time on a three axle Trail King.
I don't think I have seen a tag with 22.5s. Is it more for the availability or does the smaller sidewall help when turning?
they are a lot better tire all around. here's what they look like on my 20-ton tilt. if you don't have need for three axles worth of weight I would not buy them. they scrub, they cost more to put tires on, and they wear tires faster. the trailer is generally a pig to turn.
A year from now he will be wishing he had bought a three axle. Yokohama RY023-255/70-22.5 16 ply-$347.75-a very good tire.
I have a BWS they are by far the most popular tilt tag here, I run 17.5s and had no problems with them but I also never run faster then 55 mph, they also make them with the low pro 22.5s. The tilt is done by an air bag, which is the same way the ramps work too, it's a really good setup. Weight holds the deck down and also locks on the front, my 6 ton mini excavator isn't heavy enough to even budge the deck up with it at the very back of the trailer though, the trailer is very heavy it weights about 15,500lbs. I would think about the future and if adding more equipment and the triple axle makes sense. If you're sure you'll never need that axle I wouldn't get it, longer trailer, much heavier, etc. The only thing I don't like is the length of mine, 28' deck and 6' beavertail and 9'6" wide it's a beast getting around in tight residential areas, I wish it was like 5'-8' shorter. Even when I haul my CTL and mini, I have tons of extra room.
^ my tilt is a 22' deck. I see your pain.
Finally got some quotes. Trailmax 25 ton with 22.5" wheels and front lift axle is $53,300. I've seen a lot of these around locally with 17.5s. Spring 2022 delivery. Felling 25 ton with the same wheels and lift is $61,350. Fall 2022 Delivery From looking online, I see an Olympic 25 ton with 17.5s and no lift axle at $34,500 in stock. The price difference seems way too high even if the 17.5s aren't as good and the front axle scrubs tires.
Holy crap is that expensive! Want to buy mine? Hah. I was wondering why last RB's sale BWS trailers like mine where fetching around $40k CAD when not long ago they were only around that new. I know BWS is Canadian but you could try pricing them. Unless you're traveling really long distances loaded to the max I wouldn't worry about the 17.5's. In my 4 years i've yet to have one blow out, and 6 of the 12 tires were already on the trailer and nowhere near new when I got it and because of the tight areas i'm in i'm constantly scrubbing the hell out of them and over a few curbs here and there. They are really tough tires.
I'd take 17.5's and in stock for a $20K savings Alex. You can buy alot of tires for $20K.
Completely agree. That's goes a long ways towards another useful piece of equipment.
@Truck Shop I am inquiring about those Yokohama's right now. I got a nice lull in the action I'll get the 8 tires in the brakes done here soon.
Goes along ways considering that most of our machines costless then 20 to buy we like fixer upers
A Landoll tag would be better than a gravity tilt for multi-unit loads. KDOT has a bunch of them. (pictured: not KDOT orange shockingly)
Those landolls are cool.
Those can be handy but they are $$$ and slow. Mine is tilted with a air bag, and if loading multiple machines will stay up. Have to get the 210 pretty far up before it will go down.