Other than a bath and the reflectors, this project is about done! I ran new wiring bow to stern, new pigtail, painted the wheels and frame, put on new decking.
I crawled under to look at the brakes when I parked it at the tire shop. I found a huge new split inboard, I felt "Clint Eastwood Lucky" about that one. Dang. I think I got all I could out of these linings. Drums look decent, the step is from .050 to .080 with my calibrated finger. I might get lucky on those.
4515Q's- Not seeing the others-some running left, 1/4" from indicator ledge. What's the top shoe like? S-cam bushings? Wheel seals?
it's really only about an eighth of an inch at the back edge of all of them at the back bottom. The S-cam bushings and seals have never been changed to my knowledge. nothing's been done to those brakes besides my crawling under there and looking at them. Thank you for looking. they measure 16x7, and I got a quote from a local shop here for $330 an axle if they don't have to break the drums off the rims and they can just take them off as a unit. They were recommended by the local commercial friction shop just down the road. The good news is I have eight new hankook h37s on the ground @375 each.
It's the center of shoe block that matters, the arc of shoe is designed to wear the ends slow. The big issue is are the drums wearing fairly straight. Drum convex-shoe block concave. inboard/outboard.
thanks Mike I see a very thin layer of material that is the lining correct? then the next is a block that's attached to the metal of the shoe. ,
It's all one block-two blocks each shoe web. The ledge is the wear indicator, when it reaches that point it's close to replacement time.
here's the only pictures I have on my phone I'm out of town for a couple days to a wedding. I had it wrong I figured once that first material was almost gone it was time to change it. r
I can call the guy today and get in his schedule for first thing next week, but if you think I'm jumping the gun I won't do it, they are working great. I just don't have any record of any service done to them beyond safety inspections. I put maybe 2,000 mi a year on this trailer at the very most.
You got a ways to go if all shoes look like that.
They look like that or better. Thanks a whole lot based on the function I'll just keep on keeping on.
So this would be finished? Far finished or just?
Toast-would describe those shoes, close to cam over. Notice the two dark streaks on drum surface? Those shoes are on the rivets.
Good to know my little freak out and refusal to drive the truck was justified. Trailer went to the shop the next day and shoes and drums were done. Hard to Believe that trailer passed inspection just a few months before.
An inspection is only as good as the self respect and respect of others the mechanic has for others on the road.