i am looking at purchasing a 25 ton triple axle tag trailer it is located 5 hours away i was wondering if it is possible to legally pull this trailer with a truck? it would be empty just pulling it home with the truck i have a dump truck but not wanting to take it that far
I hope you don't mean pick up truck. The empty weight of a 25 ton tag may be OK to pull with a good sixed truck, but a 25 ton tag will very likely have air brakes. Unless you have a way to work the brakes with your pick up I would not attempt it. It is WAAAAAY too much weight to pull with no brakes. Also, a three axle dual wheel trailer is going to push your light weight pick up straight off the road on a good corner, with its tendancy to not turn, and minimum weight in a pick up to force it. You would be an accident waiting for a place to happen, IMHO
I am guessing you mean a pick-up truck and I assume the trailer has air brakes. No way that is going to fly that trailer empty is at least 10,000 # good luck stopping with no brakes. Just take the dump truck or have it delivered much safer and a lot cheeper than a visit from a DOT officer. Good luck
I tell you this much, I will be using my pickup truck to pickup my trailer next week for the same reason you want to. I have a 4.5hr drive and like you, I really don't want to drive my dump that far if I don't have to. That being said my trailer is a tandem dually 15ton with electric brakes. I would say as long as the trailer has electric brakes then you are good to go! 10,000lbs is an easy day work for a HD pickup.
Yea thats not going to work. But what might work is pulling a HD gooseneck trailer and load the triaxle on the gooseneck. You would have to back the brakes off as they will be locked up without air but this could be an option if you have access to a large enough gooseneck.
There is a big difference between a 15ton electric tandem brake tag and a 25ton air brake tri-axle tag (which I bet $1 that it's air braked like Jerry said). That 25ton triple axle will push a pickup where ever it wants to go regardless of where you want to go. I have a 55K tandem tag, air braked and it is such a heavy trailer that I would never attempt to pull it with a pickup even if I could half ass an air brake system to operate the trailer brakes.:cool2 I would follow KSSS's advice and put it on a heavy duty gooseneck.
I agree, all I'm saying is: lets assume this guy is smart enough to know not to pull a trailer without brakes. I know you can get 25ton trailers in electric brakes, they are not common but they are around. In that case I think a heavy duty pickup would do just fine.
http://www.trucker.com/TrailerDetail.aspx?TrailerID=1893138&CompanyID=32876
Nick, I'm sure you are seeing the consensus here. I own a 25T (payload weight) tri-axle and weighs 11,000# empty. I like the idea of putting it on the gooseneck too. I would think you would need to hoist it on and off though. I'm thinking the tail of the trailer would hang up if you try to load/unload by rolling.
If the trailer had electric brakes, and I could set the hitch to get the trailer reasonably level, when hooked to the truck, I would not be afraid of pulling it (the empty trailer) with a P/U. If the trailer is not loaded I don't think it would offer too much resistance to turning unless you are turning very sharp and that would have to be done at low speeds anyway.
A 2011 or 2012 GM 2500 or 3500 properly equipped can pull a 20K trailer so I agree that an empty 25 ton trailer that weighs app. 10K can be pulled fine EXCEPT for the braking problem.I've never seen any trailer past 15 tons that has electric brakes so this one for sure has air brakes.We're all speculating here anyway as the OP just said ''truck''.We have no idea what he really means by that,for all we know it can be a small air equipped truck.For what it's worth my 2006 3500 Dmax pulls my 10 ton trailer which weighs 6K lbs empty with a car or light truck on it from time to time and it handles it just fine and braking[electric] is also no problem.
http://www.trucker.com/TrailerDetail...ompanyID=32876 not trying to start anything, but like i said they are around...
Error 404.0
http://www.trucker.com/TrailerDetail.aspx?TrailerID=1893138&CompanyID=32876
Never heard of that company or electric brakes on such a heavy trailer.Makes no sense to me when air is so much better all around.
what would it take to pull a tag trailer pintle hitch behind a semi? i will not be chancing it with the pickup after all these replies thanks for the help
That depends. If trailer has air brakes you need a pintle hitch, air, and electrical hook ups at the back of the semi (if you are pulling the trailer on the ground).
yes i would be pulling it on the ground ..it is air brakes so its looking like taking the dump truck will b the most efficient way for me to get this
Is your d-truck set up to pull an air brake trailer?
Hate to break it to you .....but..... 45,000#'s is not 25ton .... I think if my math is correct, that's 22.5 ton .... lol ..... just fun'n ..... unless a guy is totally crazy to pull a tridem empty, no tongue weight behind a 2500/3500 single tired (non-dually) p/u is an accident waiting for a place to happen ..... I have a single axle L-8000 tractor on air and I WOULD NOT pull that behind it because of the three axles trying to steer, it's NOT the weight, it's the tracking of the trailer..... but what do I know 3,500,000 miles with big rigs ..... tuney443 : I think you are baseing pulling 20k as gross combined weight and not dead weight pull safely ... if you take the 20k + 9,000lbs for the tare weight of the p/u thats 29k lbs ....., THAT's a retarded amount of weight to ask of a 3/4 ton p/u over a great distance legally/safely ...... I did pull my Trail-king T/A TKT40 empty behind my p/u a few years ago (empty) ... don't ask how I kept the air brakes released .... it was a 2mile tow .... AND NEVER NEVER AGAIN .... braking was not the issue but turning, now that was another story .... it wanted to pick up the rear of the p/u in the turn and shove it straight ahead .... THANK God for 4x4 engaged point the front wheels and GIVE IT **** .... NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN .... stupid stupid stupid ...LOL ..... but what do I know BUT as he now has settled the dipute here nickendall has finally returned with the info on the trailer, it's air-brake equiped and he's seeking a semi to tow it safely home .... BRAVO !
Your math is off.My 3500 is 7,200 lbs., trailer is 6,000 lbs.,app. weight of load on the trailer no more than say 6,000 lbs which now totals 19,200 lbs.Perfectly safe and legal.
IF your p/u is 7,200 lbs (which i'm sure it is) that's a light weight p/u ....my 3500 dodge dually the way it sits in the drive way ... weighs 10,200 lbs, I carry a 100gal tidy tank full of diesel, in the box and have a 24k King-pin style fifth wheel hitch mounted full time as well ........... but you stated PULLING 20k not 6,000 lbs .... even at 7,200 lbs + 20,000 lbs that's even worse with barely any tongue weight that a commercial tag trailer has ..... a trailer that has a huge amount of forward tongue weight is what is needed, but that would only work in a gooseneck configuration, a bumper hitch tow and that weight (20k) is NOT legal anywhere even with an equalizer hitch w/swaybars ..... the heaviest class VI frame mounted hitch is only DOT rated at 10,000 lbs trailer weight, also the 2 5/16" balls for a class VI are ONLY rated at 10,000 lbs ...... only the balls for a gooseneck hitch are rated higher ...... Anyways, the talk was about a tri-axle commercial tag behind a p/u truck .... here and everywhere when you have a class-1 CDL it's our job to know our weights all of the time ...... COPS & DOT just have no sense of humor
I think there is some confusion here. IMO the OP said he wanted to haul an empty 25t tag trailer. The 25t is the payload. I have one of those trailers and it weighs 11,000# empty. 11,000# plus the weight of the tow vehicle equals the gross vehicle weight.
No confusion--we're all on the same page.The problem is braking an air equipped trailer with no air on the horsey but the OP is now going to plan B so this is now moot.
I most certainly do not have a light weight truck Craft.Mine is SRW--yours is DRW.A one ton designation is only for ID purposes these days.Proof is my 9900 lb. GVW.2700 lbs of cargo weight. Once again,my trailer weighs 6K lbs. I NEVER said it weighs 20K lbs. You are confusing yourself from my statement that a 2011-2012 GM can pull a 20K lb. trailer. A class VI receiver is rated at 9 ton, not 5 ton.My pintle hook/ball combo is rated at 8 ton.
I did get a chuckle out of your expense on that one. Hey we've all done those things that were absent minded and 1/2 through the "operation" you say "God please let me get to where I am going and I will never do that again".
You liked that huh ! ..... I thought a few like yourself would appreciate that .... kinda a bin there done that ......... it's amazing what a guy can do at 2:00am living in the boonies, when you have to get something done in a panic ...... had to get that trailer to a site not far from home and load the 312 on it and have it ready to pick-up for a guy with a tandem dump later that morning .... that was the day after my 475hp twin turbo Cummins blew up ...... but what I won't tell you is how it got moved from there to another 1/2 mile away with the excavator on board behind the 'ol Ford .... and that it's totally amazing what you can pull in low range locked up .... them tires were justa chirp'n pull'n up that grade .... and I won't tell you that the generator was in the box keep'n the air compressor runn'n and the air hose was coming thru the sliding back window to the front seat with an air valve on the seat ........... but I refuse to tell you that ....OK .......LOL ..... AND WE LIVED TO TELL THE STORY ! ..... and put another chapter in the book of dumb things i've done in my life ..... Cheers
Imagine the tongue load being transfered to the pick up on that trip. You should tell Ford about that. Maybe they'll make a commercial out of it.
That was the easy part of it, the trailer being a tilt deck w/hyd cyl's control the drop rate as the deck comes down .... as you hit the balance point it came down slowly until frame contact ... then I just inched the ex forward until the trucks suspension came down what looked like 6" then I stopped ... the pick-up was equiped with air bags that I over inflated before loading ... it sat perfectly level with just the right amount of traction ..... it was a slow move but we got the job done and no bridges were burnt the next day That was once and never again ..... that's when I bought the L 8000 tractor as a back-up plan
That's the way I would have done it...:Cowboy Kids don't try this at home. rofessor