Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Trailer on Craigslist

seagull369 ยท 2012-03-11 01:30

Saw this trailer on CL and was wondering if it is a decent deal. http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/grd/2889968450.html What concerns me the most is he has no papers on it, and dunno how much trouble DMV would give me with that. Any thoughts?

Replies20
  1. #1hvy 1ton2012-03-11 03:40

    Your gonna have to check into your laws at a state level. If i vehicle hasn't been registered in kansas in the prior 10 years it can get a brand new title and registration. If your state has an exception like that, by the looks of the trailer i'd say your golden.

  2. #2dloiselle2012-03-11 06:49

    I am in NY too, the easiest thing for you to do is register it as home made. What sucks, the paperwork is gonna cost you as much as the trailer and then take 6090 days to get it all done.

  3. #32stickbill2012-03-11 10:59

    From the looks of it.Maybe has Mobile Home axles and wheels.Some parts look factory and some look shop built Last time I checked here you could Register it shop built but only for so much weight.

  4. #4seagull3692012-03-11 11:00

    dloiselle, do you know which part of the paperwork makes it cost so much? I was looking on DMV's website here: http://www.dmv.org/ny-new-york/other-types-of-vehicles.php and the fees they mention to do this, look reasonable.

  5. #5tuney4432012-03-11 11:42

    I saw that trailer also seagull on CL.If you like the trailer I would definitely buy it BUT first I would just check with DMV or law enforcement on the VIN tag if there is one for a possible theft somewhere just to be safe.I've done 2 home made trailer reggy's,both under 1K lbs. and it was a walk in the park. I had both done the very same day.You have to bring it to an authorized scale to have it weighed,DMV will issue you a new VIN,you are responsible for etching or welding that VIN permanently into the steel up front somewhere.That site says $25 for over 1K lbs and to mail it to Albany.I bet if you paid for overnite delivery on both ends,you'll have your new reggy in a week.

  6. #6LWG2012-03-11 11:55

    You could check into registering it in Maine. I think they will give you plates so long as you have a Bill of Sale. I don't think you need a title. It's cheap, too. That's why you see so many semi trailers with Maine tags.

  7. #7tuney4432012-03-11 12:02

    Very good point.My buddy and I were just discussing this the other day.I'm going to look into this also as my yearly reggy cost has now tripled in about 5 years here in NY.There is some catch I believe on getting it inspected,not sure--maybe somebody from Maine can chime in.

  8. #8smokey12012-03-11 12:02

    trailer I, would grab that trailer, It's worth 2 or 3 times that much in scrap !

  9. #9tuney4432012-03-11 12:12

    Not even close.#1 long scrap steel by us is app. $200 a ton x app. 2-2.5 ton= $4-500 + the cost of hauling it to the bone yard.

  10. #10stumpjumper832012-03-11 13:32

    I bought a trailer like that 15 months ago, $500 bucks, need a deck and axle hangers... Put a nice oak deck on it, new hangers, wheel bearings, some lights, and rubber all around. I'll make you a deal at $1500 and I have paperwork if you really want it... Bad part about trailers like that is they like tires, especially when you have decent weight on them... Now I have a 20 ton towmaster Trailer is a 88' general / eager beaver 9dow, 9 ton capacity. The tires like 7 ton alot better than 9, its hard to get weight on the rear axle.

  11. #1106Pete2012-03-11 18:38

    Maine tags are great as long as your insurance company accepts them. In Maryland I talked to the scale house and thye are legal as long as the truck is registered to go to Maine USDOT # and ifta tax. You just call the STAB agensy fill out a power of aturney and you get tags I think you can get them up to 12 years no title I think over 10 years old and I think it has to be over 10,000 # trailer. I know a lot of people run them without USDOT # and nothing has been said I just imagine in time the MDDOT will wise up and put a stop to all of the money they are loosing. I think Maine is about $20 a year where as MD is $245 for 2 years on my 14000# trailer

  12. #12stumpjumper832012-03-11 20:39

    Wow, pa is $27 aunally for the trailer over 14k. What are md's truck tags, pa tags for 50k are $850

  13. #13seagull3692012-03-11 20:44

    Thanks for all the great replies, guys. I decided to pass on the trailer since I found out it's a little shorter than what I needed. Tho it looked longer in the pic somehow, the seller said total length is 18ft (from lunette ring to end of beaver tail, i took it to mean) and I probably need ~18ft deck not incl. beaver tail. I'll be pulling a Case 580SE someday, so I don't think that will cut it. I'm curious about the MA registration idea. Do you have to be a resident of the state or at least have to travel up there to get it?

  14. #1406Pete2012-03-11 21:19

    A tri axle 70000 # is almost $1900 a single axle with 55000# combination is $1350 and trailer tags on combination trailers are $26 but you cant get combination on trailers less than 20000# and they are talking about going up!

  15. #15dloiselle2012-03-12 05:53

    I just registered my tag in Maine, all I have is HOLY ****!!!!! In New york is is just shy or $600 a year. I don't use it alot so no way I can justify that so I would run bandit on Sunday mornings if I had to. This year I decided to reg in Maine what a difference. 5 years, with 2nd day air, 5% for credit card and the Staab agency fee, $159.00. Talked to my buddy who owns a DOT shop here - they do all the are school bus inspections, he doesn't believe I even have to have it inspected. I figure for $20, it will get inspected.

  16. #16LWG2012-03-12 07:09

    I have registered two trailers in Maine and have not had either inspected. I am about to register a third.

  17. #17dloiselle2012-03-12 07:43

    NY sucks though, gotta scr*w the little guy to give to the non workers in society. Socialism at it's best!!!!!

  18. #18Maola2012-03-22 20:55

    what can you tow with a trailer like that and a truck reg for 33000 lb ??? in NY

  19. #19tuney4432012-03-22 21:53

    Whatever the GVW from the manufacturer says--that's not a NY thing,that will apply anywhere as long as you don't exceed your GCVW which really isn't checked that often.Of course there's also the axle and tire weights that have to be considered also.

  20. #20Pecord Exc2012-03-23 08:27

    I have a 9 ton you can have for scrap value, need a deck brakes and tires, it is older but still life in her all of the cross members were reinforces and ramps were done up before we parked it many years ago. Electric brakes, if you want it shoot me a pm