lets say that you were going to start a commercial site development company and you could only have two machines for the first year.......what two machines wouls you pick? and what size? I think an excavator is probably a need for sure.....what whats your thoughts?
cat 320 or volvo 210 excavator and cat D6K, not too much you can't do with this pair.
Well not that my family biz did a ton of com. projects but we did tackle a number and aside from having the skid loader there as more of a back saver the only two other machines on alot were the TD-15C dozer and 312 CAT excavator. Make do with what you have. I will say though, we did usually have the JD 860 scraper there as well to move mass amounts of dirt but otherwise just the dozer and excavator. Trbo
What is a commercial site development company? Sounds like dirt work for building commercial buildings? If it's something like that, then a dump truck and backhoe would be my two choices. Does a trailer count? Gonna need one of those too!!! Eddie
I would want an Excavator and a loader for the first year.
Excavator and loader for the first year, add a dozer later. The only reason for the loader before dozer is to move pipe around and handle backfill material.
It depends on what size job(s) you´re doing. If the machine is grossly over/undersized for the job, you´re losing money faster than you make it. With the down turn in the economy, I would lease the needed equipment for each job. You´re more likely to have the right machine for the job this way. You may not make as much money on each job, but you won´t be paying on equipment that sits when there´s no work.
X2 - most versatile pieces, you can rent a roller and dump trucks if you need them. And for my area, that would be a track loader.
Excavator and loader but the loader could be a good sized skid loader not a big wheel loader. I use my skid and excavator the most. A dozer you have to have if you have dozer work to do, just to time consuming to use a excavator but can be done. All this proves is that it is very hard to get into site work with just 2 machines, I found this out real fast and had to buy dump truck trailer skid steer excavator dozer roller and still could use a backhoe, nicer dump truck, bigger dozer, bigger excavator, smaller excavator, wheel loader, lowboy, dump trailer, another skid steer, screen plant, hoe pac, trench box, big pole barn for all this to sleep in, on and on and on.
in a perfect world this is not needed, as all those machines should be on the job site and making money
Who lives in a perfect world? I want to move there.
Cat 325D and a 938H, add a JD 700H has soon as possible, vary capable group
"Who lives in a perfect world? I want to move there." Me too, problem is they wouldn't let me in....
Well all of that iron wouldnt mind having a nice place to sleep in the winter time!
You can work year round in a perfect world!
Pc300 and dp65 komatsu all the way:usa
D-10 with GPS and a 710 JD backhoe
Keep an Eye on Where you are Going With your Business One thing to remember is to plan on where you think your business is going and get equipment that compliments each other. If it was me I would go with a 12 to 16 ton excavator and around a 100 H.P. Dozer. If you are doing mostly dirt work the people telling you to go with a track loader with a 4 in 1 bucket are giving you good advice. What I mean about Equipment that Compliments each other is when you are ready to expand you can buy a big tri-axle dumptruck with a heavy duty tag trailer. Then you have something you can bill out on jobs AND move your equipment. Then if you want to add a Backhoe or Skid Steer you can still move it. If you add more Dump Trucks you have more rigs to move your equipment. Everythings working together. I don't know if it's a mistake or not but in the past when I would find a low houred piece of equipment that was cheap I would buy it. The way I looked at it is I can stick my part time guy on it a job or two a year and make the payment. That's why I have so much equipment that is all over the place. I used to think having a lot of Iron was a good thing, until I started pulling off of a good excavator job to do a 2 hour backhoe job as a "favor". Now I'm getting down to 4 to 6pieces of equipment that Compliment each other. I guess I could tell you my 2 favorite pieces of equipment. A Case CX 160 Excavator with a Hydraulic Thumb A D4H LGP Hi-Track Caterpillar Dozer with 6 Way Blade
410 or 590 backhoe and a 160 excavator. Rent the rest till Im up and going...........