Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi 135, first start of the day

StPat ยท 2020-05-22 13:59

I have a Takeuchi 135, 2007, about 3500 hrs. At the start of every days operations the machine will not start unless I put the battery charger on it, set to 140 amps starting, machine then will start right up and run fine for the rest of the day, doesn't make any difference if the machine has been in the shop overnight or outside.I put a new battery in it, no change, glow plugs seem ok, so I'm thinking starter rebuild, anyone have more suggestions before I tear into the starting system?? I'm in Alaska but the machine is kept inside during the winter in a heated shop, so I don't think temperature is the problem. Thanks in advance, Patrick

Replies6
  1. #1heymccall2020-05-22 15:04

    Will not rotate the engine? Rotates engine, but no smoke from exhaust? Rotates engine, white smoke from exhaust? Clarify, please. Are you using proper sequence to start? 1/8 throttle. Rotate ignition switch CCW until glow lamp goes out. Rotate ignition to crank. Start engine.

  2. #2elcheapo2020-05-23 09:00

    Have you tried disconnecting the battery overnight ? Just in case something is draining the battery during the night.

  3. #3StPat2020-05-23 22:43

    Followed proper start sequence, has new battery, engine turns over fine no unusual smoke or vapors, seems like the engine is maybe turning over a little slow but starts and runs fine after initial high amperage shot. Thinking maybe armature has buildup on it not allowing starter to spin up on first start of the day. I will try to get a amperage reading at first start and compare it to subsequent startups. Thanks for reply, the mystery continues! Patrick

  4. #4Canuck Digger2020-05-24 23:03

    I'm not a mechanic by any means but, things that have helped me in the past for "hard" starting: plug the machine in overnight run thinner oil There are obviously things that are temperature related. Shouldn't be an issue when the temp perks up a little.

  5. #5MarshallPowerGen2020-05-25 12:23

    Check cables and clean connections, then see what you get for voltage drop or amperage while cranking. Also monitor your battery voltage that your alternator is charging properly and for any parasitic drain overnight.

  6. #6BBoudreaux2020-05-25 16:28

    My machine acted very similar, I found one of the hoses at the engine mounted fuel filter damp looking, I cut about an inch off and reconnected, helped a lot, must have been getting some air in the system after sitting for a while.