Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi tb035 Motor replacement options?

chris allen · 2017-07-10 20:28

Hey, ran across a good deal on a mini ex , Motor had went out few yrs ago, the guy pulled the 33 hp yanmar out an replaced it with a kubota v1503 engine, in witch is only like a 24 hp area motor. It opperates well for a smaller engine in it but it seems to keep over heating . I've installed a thicker radiator just rescently an now trying to find the thinnest electric fan with the most cfm' s. I'd like to find a Lil bigger motor to put back in it to get the hp back up to were it belongs. I think with the v1503 engine being low on hp it's just being over worked an heating up. I have a v1703e engine laying around but it's a 4 cylinder an it's a little longer than the motor that's in it now An don't think I'll have enuff room for more modifications. The Lil yanmar engines are scarce to find An if ya do there very expensive Would like to know if anyone has ran into this before an had any luck replacing a motor. Thx guys

Replies8
  1. #1chris allen2021-01-04 21:02

    Well finally located another yanmar motor for the tbo35 , did my homework an found that deer used alotta yanmars in there compact equipment, so I picked up a 3tn84 motor outta a fairway reel mower, just wasn’t a turbo engine. Was same hp (33 hp area). Well got it in an running an built few cylinders and been playing around with it an seems to have slow travel time on the stick,bucket an boom functions, need to figure out were to plumb into it an hook up some gauges an read press. Seems to spin around pretty good, an travel 2 speed works, but did notice that I have a weak drive motor when it gets hot.

  2. #2lantraxco2021-01-05 02:45

    Drive motor could be swivel seals bypassing, would check that first for the drive issue. Does that machine have a gear pump, or twin output piston? Try swapping the two main pump hoses, see if the problem stays with the same functions or changes. Could be a weak system relief somewhere also.

  3. #3chris allen2021-01-05 08:17

    Will give it a shot. Thx for the input. Let ya know what we come up with

  4. #4mutti_wilson2021-01-05 12:32

    Did it operate this way with the old engine also? RPM governed the same?

  5. #5chris allen2021-01-05 20:39

    Well the original yanmar motor went out an someone stuck an small v1705 kubota in it, an it kept running extremely hot (its like a 23 hp) an the yanmar that goes into it originally was 33 hp, so basically it was 10 hp to small, An I found a fairway mower that had a 3tn84 that was naturally aspirated. ( no turbo). It still seems to be over heating too, but I’m running a electrical cooling fan, I’m gonna install a manual fan blade an see if it takes care of the temp issues. Electric fan is Lil smaller diameter than the manual fan blade. So hopefully the big blade will help out

  6. #6mutti_wilson2021-01-06 19:23

    I was asking about the hydraulic speeds being slow with the small engine. I caught that it had been replaced just wondering if it's the motor, RPM or something else.

  7. #7chris allen2021-01-07 22:17

    Just bucket,stick,boom are all slow, I’m in the works of getting up some hyd T,s an plumb them into each slow function an see what kind pressure we’re seeing an see what pilot press is an see witch direction we need to go then

  8. #8lantraxco2021-01-08 21:33

    Pressure is not relative to speed, flow is. Unless the slowness is only when digging and loading the system down. Try to see if you can narrow all three functions down to one valve section, which would indicate most likely a pump issue, but there can be other causes.