Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Takeuchi TB035- too old?

Bob Queberg ยท 2012-03-06 14:57

Hello All, I ran accross this forum after looking at a Takeuchi TB035 serial#1357560. Some of you folks seem to know a lot about Tak excavators. Is this machine of an age that may cause problems with parts, and/or service? The hoses do not seem to be cracked. There seems to be adequate grease around all of the pins etc. The tracks have about 50-60% life left. I saw no oil leakage around the rotary joint. I have to get back about starting the machine, and running it through all of the tricks it knows. With aux. hydraulics, a 24" trenching bucket, and 3200 hrs., if it seems to run and behave well, what would you guys think would be a decent price to pay. I want to install 6-7k feet of field drainage on the farm over the next couple years. The forum has been very interesting. Regards, Bob

Videos in this topic

Browse the full video library

Replies30
  1. #1Jlillie22012-03-20 11:42

    Pretty much any Tak over ten years old you will have problems finding final drive parts, so make sure that stuff is in working order. Run it forward and back, and see if it tracks in one direction or stays straight. If it off tracks, you might have a drive problem. The unit I bought had the gears pretty much trashed, I was able to do a temp fix by clearing out the broke stuff, but a year later, and I'm right back there again. So if you are not handy, find something else. In the up side the Takeuchi is a really powerful machine for its size, I bought mine for one job, and have used it for many, many more. My backhoe pretty much sits now.

  2. #2finaldrive2012-03-20 17:32

    I stock new final drive and travel motors. No problems at all getting support for the TB035. The Takeuchi models to stay away from TB15, TB25 an TB35. The TB0 prefix is fine (TB015, TB025, TB035)

  3. #3Bob Queberg2012-03-21 08:47

    Thank you very much, for the informed opinions. And yes, Final Drive is now among my favorites. Regards, Bob

  4. #4Bob Queberg2012-04-10 08:43

    It is now working on the farm. It does indeed have a lot of digging ability. I am reclaiming approx. 500 yds. of low ground on the farm. With a 24" excavating bucket, I am digging out trees that have been growing for 60 yrs. The next phase of the project, after the beans are off, is to install 3000' of under drain to a catch basin. Thanks again for the info. Regards, Bob

  5. #5Jlillie22012-04-10 09:20

    You will be amazed how much faster it is digging a ditch with that as opposed to using a backhoe. Once I beat the life out of my machine, I'll get another one for sure.

  6. #6Jlillie22012-04-10 09:28

    Mine in action composting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2OlwUHK21VU

  7. #7Bob Queberg2012-04-11 11:33

    Hi Jim, The neighbor wanted to see it work a couple days ago. He owns a BIG Cat loader/hoe, and was smiling while watching it dig up roots etc. The process of getting between two points, is a good time to do your meditation. I would guess that it would be proper to call it's top speed, "Creepy" I have seven retired Standardbred horses that do creat a lot of fertility enhancing materials. I have been turning my pile with a Gehl 4625 skid steer, but was considering digging into the pile with the Tacky. Regards, Bob

  8. #8Jlillie22012-04-11 12:01

    Yea Bob, it is no rocket ship thats for sure. The first time I used my second speed, I kept waiting for it to kick in... B-) Not the incredible burst I was hoping for.... My wife has a gaited saddle horse, and two Mini's so they keep production at a pretty decent rate for us, nothing like what you have going on though I'll bet. We used to have a percheron, and his output was more than all three of these combined. (He's the reason I purchased an RTV900....) I like using the excavator because the field has a lot of clay in it, and it mixes into a really nice usable loam. I could never quite do that with my loader as it was tougher to mix smaller amounts of the clay.

  9. #9Bob Queberg2012-05-08 09:11

    Jim, did you say that your Tak has a two speed drive? I bought the machine from an individual that had no experience, or books. Is a two speed standard, and what would it look like. I have a round pedal on the left floor board, and a lever between the seat, and the right console. Is there a good place to find manuals (owner's, parts, service) for this machine? Another nice thing that a horse like your Percheron can do for you, is to step on your foot, and then lean in toward you for some more scratching. The latest pair of rubber boots have steel toes also. ;-) Regards, Bob

  10. #10Jlillie22012-05-08 10:54

    The round pedal on the left when depressed will engage the second speed, its still regulated by the sticks, and foot controls, it just goes a bit faster. (Not a lot...) My book recommends that you only use it for Travel, and not for work. The lever between the seat should be to switch the pedal to the far right from hammer to boom swing. (I've never switched mine, as I don't have a thumb, or a hammer.) I found some links on line by searching my model name, and the extension "PDF" as most links to manuals end with that, it keeps a lot of the useless searches (like where they are trying to sell you a fort truck before sending you on to the manual they don't even have...)

  11. #11Bob Queberg2012-05-10 13:09

    Wow! Thanks for the operator's short course. Saving 10 min., to the woods and back is a good thing. Now to look for the manuals...................... Regards, Bob

  12. #12edistocat2012-05-17 17:00

    Bob..... i got the shop manual and the operators manuals from Takeuchi. The parts manual, I downloaded from the internet....Edistocat

  13. #13Bob Queberg2012-05-21 09:08

    Edistocat, Thank you for the heads up about the manuals. Regards, Bob

  14. #14Jlillie22012-10-23 09:14

    So hows it going with the Tak Bob? I just bought a little Kubota (K008-3) The Tak will out run and out dig it, but not out cute it! Jim http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipPwRl6LiAw&feature=plcp

  15. #15cvconstruction2015-01-21 00:25

    How much do these final drive cost. and what is the oil supposed to look like when used.. i have a takeuchi tb035 with 4700 hours.. now im worried about my final drives. it tracks straight

  16. #16Jlillie22015-01-21 06:36

    As well you should be, it's generally the only thing that goes wrong with those machines. I had a quote of 6k but was also told that getting just one would make it no longer track straight, as the OEM unit is NLA and all they could get would be something close. So, when in doubt, dump it out. It's cheap insurance. I wouldn't go just based on color of the fluid. It will most likely be black anyhow.

  17. #17finaldrive2015-01-21 09:25

    Click my links below. We have service information. Also, we have stock on new complete units. http://www.hrpartsexpress.com/searchresults.asp?Search=19031-08300&Submit=Submit

  18. #18Jlillie22015-01-21 10:29

    Just to be clear, when I say "When in doubt, dump it out" I'm referring to the fluids, not the machine! ;-) Its super cheap insurance. lack of proper lubrication is the hammer of death for these things.

  19. #19cvconstruction2015-02-01 01:13

    What is the best oil if your trying to keep the old travel motors going, would a full synthetic or a regular gear oil suffice, and just keep dumping and replacing

  20. #20Jlillie22015-02-01 10:30

    Personally, I would just use regular gear oil, unless your machine Specifies something else. In the end, anything you put in will be 100% better than dry gears Eating themselves to death. I don't see synthetic as having any properties (other than being expensive) That would benefit the drive motor gears in any mean full way.

  21. #21bmckenzie2015-02-01 11:25

    hi, just for info , I ordered a shop manual for my tak tb135 from a fellow in the u.k., it is on a c.d. It is the complete manual and it cost $4.95 and another $4.99 for royal air mail. It works great, just not as handy as thumbing through a book as I need to have my laptop with me when I use it.

  22. #22Jlillie22015-02-01 12:30

    You can always print it out if you need a section for hard copy garage work. I printed the section out on mine, hard to work on a track motor with a laptop.

  23. #23mitch5042015-02-01 13:40

    Where did you find him, and do you know if he had one for a tb045?

  24. #24bmckenzie2015-02-01 20:23

    found it on ebay 3-4 weeks ago, I would get you an address but my c/d is at the repair guys house, I should get it back in the next few weeks and will post. and yes he had different models available.

  25. #25bmckenzie2015-02-04 22:36

    found his business address, it is ukplantmanuals on ebay and email is [email protected]

  26. #26cvconstruction2015-02-13 00:10

    I have a real takeuchi tb045 manual. don't have any use for it. if u pay me what I got in it I will mail it to ya. 25.00

  27. #27R Queberg2016-04-15 13:38

    Hmmm........Not so hot Hi Jillie2, If I had read your question last week, it would have been a different story. On Tuesday afternoon it had a terminal case of final drive crippleitis. It is in the shop on cribbing. The motor is awaiting a miracle, or the permission of the lady who owns the checkbook and is still working to write a $2600 check for the replacement. I have made a couple calls asking for quotes on rebuilding. Still waiting to hear from them. When I removed the inside cover plates there was a layer of dirt/dried mud about 3" deep! The bottom fitting required a bit of rust dissolver and a pair of large vice grips to break that one loose. You never know what you will get with a used piece of machinery. Check your rear ends for mud and rust before you go to the doctors! Regards, Bob

  28. #28Jlillie22016-04-15 13:51

    Takeuchi final drive AHhh, bummer Bob, thats no good. When I pulled mine apart I was able to take out the broken chunks, file the knashed teeth and get it going again. (At least for a while.....) Good luck on a quote for a rebuild, I didn't have any luck even finding anyone that would try it. Takeuchi support for things like that don't go back very far. The engines are no problem, thats just a yanmar, but the track motors are a third party that no longer manufactures them. Jim

  29. #29finaldrive2016-04-15 14:00

    We can support track motors better than OEM's can. Send me a PM and let's talk

  30. #30Jeremy LeBreton2020-09-22 10:10

    Hello, what is the difference between the TBO vs the TBxxx units? see image is this a unit to stay away from? been looking for ever now worried this is not a desirable machine and suspect 11k is way too much